MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: Good Deals on CL

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:15 PM
RedAggie03
4th Gear
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Year: 2006
Make: MINI
Model: Hardtop
Price: $1
Mileage: 100
Color: red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

The asking price (in my head) for my car just went up based on that BaT auction haha

Old 04-11-2018, 02:28 PM
Black Forest
4th Gear
Received 70 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by wikdr53
Here is a 2013 GP with no reserve. The zero feedback is a concern, but it does have the buyer protection.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Mini-O...Nay~IQ&vxp=mtr
Looks like the seller got cold feet...

Old 04-11-2018, 03:03 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by RedAggie03
The asking price (in my head) for my car just went up based on that BaT auction haha
And that's the problem with BaT. It causes artificial and/or unwarranted inflation. Any day you want to throw a price at me, Jason....

Old 04-11-2018, 06:14 PM
burley
6th Gear
Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
And that's the problem with BaT. It causes artificial and/or unwarranted inflation. Any day you want to throw a price at me, Jason....
We'll, at least I know where I want to sell my car from now on. If its consistently higher on BAT, maybe its just that the right set of eyeballs are getting to the right cars. Also, the quality of the advert makes a difference. BAT ads have at least 30 photos and are well documented. Maybe for the right car, BAT will fetch a higher dollar. Better ads = more money.

Think about it.. If you're rich, why would you want to sift through 100's of crappy ads on cars.com or CL when you can get the best of the best on BAT.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Behavioral Economics --specifically Auction Psychology-- are at play here in a major way. Additionally, it's interesting what you just said, too. Your comment about "best of the best" suggests that just because a car is on BaT, that it's worth more or better than cars which are not; IMO this isn't the case. Cars that make it on BaT simply have some sort of cult-ish following, are classics, or pre-classics (hopefully) and have well structured Ads/photos.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2012...ay-at-auctions

For the record, I think all Sale Ads should have a similar amount of photos as the average BaT car, and when I sell I make an entire Google Drive album with no less than 25 photos. I don't think it makes the car worth more; I just think it helps to educate prospective buyers and may save us both time in the end.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by TheBigChill
BaT is a mania and nothing more; it's auction mentality (overpaying for the sake of involvement) but for wealthier people than eBay. In it's infancy it was a wonderful place to buy a car, but in no way does BaT set the standard for the marketplace value of a car.
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more private party sales using BaT as a benchmark.

Old 04-12-2018, 04:20 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
BAT is the place to sell a good MINI, and 911's, M3's etc.... Some nice cars on there and they definitely go for a premium. The MINI needs to be in great condition and original to do well.

Old 04-12-2018, 05:26 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul
I agree with you 100%. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more private party sales using BaT as a benchmark.

While true, interestingly, when people adopt the BaT pricing model/history for their own private sale outside of BaT, rarely does their final sale price align with a BaT example. Again, the emotional aspect of bidding comes into play, especially on a site where you're among similarly minded people.

As embarrassing as it is to say I have memberships at no less than 15 Automotive Forums, and I've seen this phenomenon. For example, someone sees a Gen4 swapped 1993 MR2 sell for $15k on BaT, and they feel theirs is worth the same. They list it privately and it sits and sits and sits while they haggle on price, when all along it wasn't worth that price, and they've missed multiple opportunities to sell for the true market value of the car.

Old 04-12-2018, 10:08 AM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
MR2 turbos (I have owned 4 93's) are another case of the low mileage,originality. The 93+ are definitely bringing a premium. A modified one didnt even make it to half price of an original. Feel same way about engine swaps, dont think they will bring anywhere near the money of a stocker

Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 PM
burley
6th Gear
The great thing about the market is that it self corrects. Things are worth what people are willing to pay. If you have a truly mint car and you think its worth $15k... and it sits and sits and sits.. Most buyers will then lower the price to a proper amount.

But.. some cars are niche and just need to wait until they're in front of the right set of eyeballs. This comes down to this: How patient do your circumstances allow you to be? Do you have space? How bad do you need the money?

Frankly, if one guy thought your mint '06 JCW was worth $15k does this set the new standard? Absolutely not, but who's to say? If one guy thought it was worth $5k too much, who are we to say otherwise? To that buyer, it sure was worth it.

Its all subjective, but you cant really comment that prices things have sold for aren't the "real value" because value is based on the price people are willing to pay for them. You could argue that there's a range, and BAT and other auctions represent the upper end of that range.

I think selling any car with the correct maintenance, number of photos, etc.. will command a higher dollar, however, BAT has a basic standard level of quality that makes it easier to find quality versions of cars. Consider the premium prices paid to be a result of a premium shopping experience, and not every dollar goes to the seller.

The following users liked this post:
Derek86 (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 03:38 PM
BoostedBlueToyotas
3rd Gear
The MINI prices are all over the place. There where a pile of options and configurations. If you want something specific you might pay the premium. I did for my loaded Space Blue JCW. Not for my other two cars. I mean you could literally double the base price of a 2006 with options. I have two cars with 15K of options on them.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:56 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BoostedBlueToyotas
The MINI prices are all over the place. There where a pile of options and configurations. If you want something specific you might pay the premium. I did for my loaded Space Blue JCW. Not for my other two cars. I mean you could literally double the base price of a 2006 with options. I have two cars with 15K of options on them.
Totally true, if you're picky. Personally, after owning 6.. The only R53 I would consider would be a blue Cooper S JCW with black English Leather, LSD, all packages, either center speedo or chrono (NO NAV). Special points for aero kit, BBK, R90/R98 wheels, and less importantly: rain sensing wipers, alarm, rear fogs..

If I ever found my unicorn (I looked for about 12 months), I would have paid a premium.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:50 PM
Paul
6th Gear
Originally Posted by burley
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...i-cooper-s-11/

Wow, I'm very curious to see what this brings on BAT!! If a base S is currently going for $8200, I wonder what my JCW with 34k miles is worth?? :popc orn:
$11,510 I'm floored where that ended. Add 5% buyer fee and that's a $12k S non-JCW.

I've got a 32k mi DS/B, chrono, anthracite headliner, 15%, 380s and JCW programming. Any takers

Old 04-12-2018, 08:18 PM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Paul
$11,510 I'm floored where that ended. Add 5% buyer fee and that's a $12k S non-JCW.

I've got a 32k mi DS/B, chrono, anthracite headliner, 15%, 380s and JCW programming. Any takers
Nam'ers aren't going to pay that much, but there are some enthusiasts who dont want to sift through the heaps of craigslist ads and are willing to pay top dollar.

My wife says I'm not allowed to list her *perfect* '04 JCW w/ 34k and full 210HP kit. Paid $8k, but I'm curious what it'd bring in.

PS: Didn't now the buyer paid the fee, thats an awesome deal for anyone with a keen eye for projects.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:53 AM
Derek86
6th Gear
Received 117 Likes on 103 Posts
Originally Posted by burley
Nam'ers aren't going to pay that much, but there are some enthusiasts who dont want to sift through the heaps of craigslist ads and are willing to pay top dollar.
That's the name of the game. I prefer the hunt but I'm in the $300 motorcycle game right now.

Old 04-13-2018, 05:34 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
MR2 turbos (I have owned 4 93's) are another case of the low mileage,originality. The 93+ are definitely bringing a premium. A modified one didnt even make it to half price of an original. Feel same way about engine swaps, dont think they will bring anywhere near the money of a stocker
I sold my 320hp Gen4 swapped SW21 last Fall. It cost $7,041 to have Prime MR2 do the swap (lots of OEM parts & upgrades). The car was rust free. I sold it for $9k, and even that was a struggle. To your point, those are cars where low mileage and originality are key to high sale prices (despite how much better the Gen4 swap makes the car).

Things are worth what people are willing to pay.......Frankly, if one guy thought your mint '06 JCW was worth $15k does this set the new standard? Absolutely not,
Both statements here are true. Consider this: People see this low mileage Base S sell for $12k, and everyone's already feeling like their car is now worth the same, which is likely false, unless you also find yourself surrounded by cash-heavy emotional bidders.

Old 04-13-2018, 12:27 PM
Rich B.
4th Gear
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Here's my babble about this price stuff:

As car enthusiasts we always seem to be going into or getting out of a deal.

I Googled "Car Value Estimators" and got: Kelley Blue Book, NADA, Edmunds, Black Book, TrueCar Value Estimator, Consumer Reports, VMR Auto Guide, CarFax.com/Value, Autoblog.com car-values...and the list goes on. OMG!

One thing for sure is this; these price guides are ever changing and they are ALL DIFFERENT! Thus the term "Estimator". Once you sort thru that mess you can stir in "sentimental" or "collector" values and a dash of specialized auction sale results for a whole new confusing layer. Oh, and don't forget to allow for some external influences too, such as....gas prices, supply and demand, seasonal ups & downs, interest rates, shipping costs, news worthy safety recalls, etc....these all push on prices.

Over the years I have found that financial institutions are among the heaviest hitters in all of this, as they are emotionally numb and control the big money...either directly or indirectly. Everybody has to pay for money.

I've come to enjoy watching the new breed of collector car auctions on cable TV these days. It's very entertaining and enlightening when a VW bus sells for a surprising, record breaking $300,000.00, or a Ferrari 512 sells for a disappointing, heart breaking $65,000.00. So much is at stake which depends on so many variables. Nobody has the crystal ball or the magic price wand...and tomorrow is a new day.

My philosophy is to let the next guy have a chance to enjoy it...just be fair. It's always worked for me.

One thing we do know is that a motivated seller and a motivated buyer will determine the final price no matter who else, or what else, may be involved.

Have a great weekend!

Old 04-14-2018, 04:20 PM
Paul
6th Gear
06 JCW on Facebook

Probably an fJCW, but would need to verify vin. 99k mi for $7000. MINI tech owner too.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1970...65169953633462

Old 04-15-2018, 09:00 AM
TheBigChill
5th Gear
That's an actual late-model JCW, LSD equipped. The only obvious flaws were some chips on the hood. Seller will take $6,500, and as you said, he's been a MINI tech for 10 years. There are several members on this board who have used him over the years and he seems well-regarded.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:01 AM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Very interesting conversation that developed here regarding market value which I enjoyed reading. The R53 market is a rollercoaster at this time indeed, with a pretty wide range --- a low bottom, then a broad middle, and the higher spiked peaks.

I tend to agree that BaT prices are often over-inflated, but that said, ultimate end value is determined by the price that someone is willing to pay, simple as that, however, whether those high spike values bleed over into the general market is another question altogether.

BaT has many eyeballs with very deep pockets engaged in a sort of romantic emotional insanity, it's fun to watch and I love seeing all the cool cars.

Off Topic:
Big wallet car collectors always make me think of Leno and of all the wonderful cars he has, I'd most like to drive his aero-engined Bentley...

Back On Topic:

Not really a deal considering the asking price, but it is a rare car!

05 JCW Challenge
$18,000

Bonus points for serial number 007!

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/...563589951.html

Archived listing:
http://www.craigslistadsaver.com/vie...csjcwchallenge

Note:
007 Challenge showed up here on NAM in 2016,
asking price then was $12,495!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

edit:
...reading the 2016 ad:

Whine not Walnuts wrote:
Yes and the picture with the front plate is the same as from the NAM posting. Something might be fishy here.
in response to AeroJammin posting the 2017 ebay auction link:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Mini-C...p2047675.l2557

It went unsold and those very same pictures have been recycled for the Florida CL listing.
Quite odd.

Last edited by Oldboy Speedwell; 04-21-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:08 AM
burley
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell

05 JCW Challenge
$18,000

Bonus points for serial number 007!

https://sarasota.craigslist.org/cto/...563589951.html

Archived listing:
http://www.craigslistadsaver.com/vie...csjcwchallenge

Note:
007 Challenge showed up here on NAM in 2016,
asking price then was $12,495!

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-for-sale.html

Maybe in 20 years, lol. $18k for a car that you're too scared to drive because of how "collectable" it is? Pass.

Old 04-21-2018, 06:47 AM
RLucky82
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-21-2018, 06:48 AM
RLucky82
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-21-2018, 09:02 AM
AeroJammin
5th Gear
Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldboy Speedwell
Very interesting conversation that developed here regarding market value which I enjoyed reading. The R53 market is a rollercoaster at this time indeed, with a pretty wide range --- a low bottom, then a broad middle, and the higher spiked peaks.

I tend to agree that BaT prices are often over-inflated, but that said, ultimate end value is determined by the price that someone is willing to pay, simple as that, however, whether those high spike values bleed over into the general market is another question altogether.

BaT has many eyeballs with very deep pockets engaged in a sort of romantic emotional insanity, it's fun to watch and I love seeing all the cool cars.

Off Topic:
Big wallet car collectors always make me think of Leno and of all the wonderful cars he has, I'd most like to drive his aero-engined Bentley...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-I3Cl1RICg

Back On Topic:

05 JCW Challenge
$18,000
First off, the seller needs to correct what I hope is an auto correct where the ad says “challenger series” instead of Challenge series. For some reason that irks me to unreasonable levels. If the seller is confused about the name of the series, we’ll, it’s right there on the dash “Challenge”.

Anyway, putting on my facsimile of a BaT hat, I just don’t think the “provenance” of a MINI challenge car is really going to justify the price being GP like. After all, at a base level this is an 05 JCW that was customized by a reputable shop. This particular car,007, also has tons of non OEM parts some of which I would never put on my car.

My personal opinion (based on actual sales I’ve seen) is that the Challenge cars (unmodified) are equal to a equivalent 2006 “loaded” fJCW cars provided there is a buyer in the market for a nice 05 with “race stuff” instead of a back seat.

Thr R53 market really is interesting, and I hope that a few BaT crazy sales will at least keep R53 on the road vs the scrapper. Right now the cars that are driving the prices highest are GPs and unique spec cars that appeal to the buyers “getting the one” R53 that they want. Also, I think part of it appeal is that for a “reasonable” price a BaT guy can get a fun daily driver while their now 100k 993 continues appreciating as long as it isn’t driven.

Old 04-21-2018, 03:19 PM
Oldboy Speedwell
6th Gear
Received 738 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by AeroJammin

First off, the seller needs to correct what I hope is an auto correct where the ad says “challenger series” instead of Challenge series. For some reason that irks me to unreasonable levels. If the seller is confused about the name of the series, we’ll, it’s right there on the dash “Challenge”.

Anyway, putting on my facsimile of a BaT hat, I just don’t think the “provenance” of a MINI challenge car is really going to justify the price being GP like. After all, at a base level this is an 05 JCW that was customized by a reputable shop. This particular car,007, also has tons of non OEM parts some of which I would never put on my car.

My personal opinion (based on actual sales I’ve seen) is that the Challenge cars (unmodified) are equal to a equivalent 2006 “loaded” fJCW cars provided there is a buyer in the market for a nice 05 with “race stuff” instead of a back seat.

Thr R53 market really is interesting, and I hope that a few BaT crazy sales will at least keep R53 on the road vs the scrapper. Right now the cars that are driving the prices highest are GPs and unique spec cars that appeal to the buyers “getting the one” R53 that they want. Also, I think part of it appeal is that for a “reasonable” price a BaT guy can get a fun daily driver while their now 100k 993 continues appreciating as long as it isn’t driven.
Agreed about the “provenance” of a Challenge car, I see it as a "GP Lite" in a way, it is appealing but such a high price is a bit over the top in my opinion.

Great point about the R53 market. I also agree here in that the "crazy sales" may help keep them on the road as opposed to the scrapper.

I think at this point that the R53 is a bona fide cult car and as time goes on its position as an "enthusiast ride" will be further cemented.

Quick Reply: FS:: Good Deals on CL