MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: Good Deals on CL

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2020, 10:03 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Year: 2006
Make: MINI
Model: Hardtop
Price: $1
Mileage: 100
Color: red
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Midwestern

Originally Posted by mondy
Wow! Anyone in Portland, OR looking for a JCW. New clutch last December. Seems like a bargain if the engine checks out.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/...191553163.html

silver 95k

additions including:
- Retrofitted bluetooth and usb/charging cable (discreet installation)
- OMP Upper brace
- OMP Lower brace
- GP Inspired aftermarket gauge covers
- LED converted day time running lights
- LED converted interior/exterior lights
- Ociari hood scoops
- JCW alcantara shifter
- JCW side skirts

Recent maintenance (within the year) includes:
- New clutch (December) from Madness Mini, a reputable company in the mini world and located in Tigard.
- New brakes and rotors
- Replaced engine mount
- Wheel speed sensors

Older maintenance includes:
- New tires
- New gas pump
- New control arm bushings

Car needs an oil change and could use a detail. Paint is still in great shape. Roof wrap is a bit swirled

this is great!!! I just messaged the guy. I’m hoping this checks out. I mean, that’s a great deal!! At 2700, you can’t beat that for a JCW that’s running. Recently had clutch replaced, so that’s good.

unsure if the supercharger has been serviced. Is that an expensive service? This is much better than that white one down in San Diego.

Old 09-07-2020, 05:11 AM
Jonny
5th Gear
Received 458 Likes on 339 Posts
I swear every JCW is located in Portland lol. I’d be ALL over this one. At that price, bet it’s gone by end of the day.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:10 AM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jonny
I swear every JCW is located in Portland lol. I’d be ALL over this one. At that price, bet it’s gone by end of the day.
ive messaged him via email. If his posting is legit, I hope to hear back soon. This looks like it’s been fairly well kept.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:31 AM
Jonny
5th Gear
Originally Posted by SydeShowJoe
ive messaged him via email. If his posting is legit, I hope to hear back soon. This looks like it’s been fairly well kept.
Yeah I’d be cautious on this one. Kinda weirdly worded. Shopping bag holder, frameless window, no VIN. But you never know. I hope you get it. Listing where it’s been service is a good sign though.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:02 AM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Yeah I’d be cautious on this one. Kinda weirdly worded. Shopping bag holder, frameless window, no VIN. But you never know. I hope you get it. Listing where it’s been service is a good sign though.

the frameless window is odd to me too?? Why would someone do that? I’ve never heard of that being done before unless replacing a windshield/window.

the shopping bag holder is meh. I mean, if this car is legit, that’s suuuper minor at 2700. The absence of a VIN could just be the seller holding off on posting it.

if the car has accident history, but all repairs are good and solid and the car passed inspection, Shouldn’t that be acceptable??

what would you look for or ask with this seller? If you don’t mind me asking? I’ve already ask some basic questions about car and requested some details. We will see if he responds to the listing that was the only way to contact him was via email.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:13 AM
Jonny
5th Gear
Lol, not frameless windshield. I think he means door windows, which are all frameless on minis. Just odd. I would wait for his reply send a small deposit, send out for an inspection tomorrow. Honestly, if it’s a legit ad, you almost can’t go wrong at that price.

If I lived close by, it would probably be in my driveway by tonight.

Last edited by Jonny; 09-07-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:25 AM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Lol, not frameless windshield. I think he means door windows, which are all frameless on minis. Just odd. I would wait for his reply send a small deposit, send out for an inspection tomorrow. Honestly, if it’s a legit ad, you almost can’t go wrong at that price.

ooof. !!FACEPALM! Frameless windows.... yeah. I totally goofed that thought.

thanks and that’s exactly what I was going to do. See if I could send a small deposit and have the car inspected tomorrow.

Old 09-07-2020, 11:27 AM
WGJP
3rd Gear
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts

Approach with caution... this one sounds too good to be true. Accident history? Salvage title? Pictures of someone else's car? Mileage rolled back?

Agree that if it's legit, it's a crazy good price and it should be gone to the first person who calls. Good luck @SydeShowJoe -- I hope you're the (legit) winner!

Old 09-07-2020, 02:17 PM
mondy
Neutral
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by WGJP
Approach with caution... this one sounds too good to be true. Accident history? Salvage title? Pictures of someone else's car? Mileage rolled back?

Agree that if it's legit, it's a crazy good price and it should be gone to the first person who calls. Good luck @SydeShowJoe -- I hope you're the (legit) winner!
@SydeShowJoe definitely approach with caution. I have my fingers crossed hoping this works out in your favor.

Old 09-07-2020, 02:48 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mondy
@SydeShowJoe definitely approach with caution. I have my fingers crossed hoping this works out in your favor.
I’ve messaged the guy twice via the CL posting email. Zero replies thus far.

generally, I never “win” anything. So it’s a shot in the dark for me given my luck at gambling. Maybe it turns out to be legit. But I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve been in continued comms with Dino and his awesome GP. He’s already at such a loss with that car and the price it’s at now is also basically a “steal”. But I never was in the market for that; I only recently came into discussions because of it’s l low price. At least with that GP we have a laundry list of service and maintenance records and you’re getting a Rocket for a mini.

patience is a virtue and I’m prepared to be as patient as needed. But sometimes these “incredible deals” pop up and you have to move fast before it gone. I mean, say this car (2700$) JCW does have an accident in its history... is that a bad thing? Given its price? I’ve heard before that these cars can have small fender benders that get recorded as an accident, but no real damage to its frame or driveline. I am not a stickler on cosmetics. I don’t need a perfect, dent free car. I’m not planning on “showing” the car.

Old 09-07-2020, 03:15 PM
WGJP
3rd Gear
Received 91 Likes on 75 Posts
I’ve messaged the guy twice via the CL posting email. Zero replies thus far.

generally, I never “win” anything. So it’s a shot in the dark for me given my luck at gambling. Maybe it turns out to be legit. But I’m not getting my hopes up. I’ve been in continued comms with Dino and his awesome GP. He’s already at such a loss with that car and the price it’s at now is also basically a “steal”. But I never was in the market for that; I only recently came into discussions because of it’s l low price. At least with that GP we have a laundry list of service and maintenance records and you’re getting a Rocket for a mini.

patience is a virtue and I’m prepared to be as patient as needed. But sometimes these “incredible deals” pop up and you have to move fast before it gone. I mean, say this car (2700$) JCW does have an accident in its history... is that a bad thing? Given its price? I’ve heard before that these cars can have small fender benders that get recorded as an accident, but no real damage to its frame or driveline. I am not a stickler on cosmetics. I don’t need a perfect, dent free car. I’m not planning on “showing” the car.
A small accident or fender bender of some type would not be unexpected at this price. When I think "could be too good to be true" I mean a major accident, substandard repairs, dirty title -- something like that. Heck at $2700, if it had some reasonable body work that wouldn't be a reason to run necessarily.

From the "be patient" comment in his ad, it looks like the guy has understandably gotten tons of responses at that price. If it is legit and he's way off on market price, he might also reconsider, pull it off the market and reprice. Who knows, hopefully you'll get some type of reply. You've got the right idea - don't get your hopes up yet. Good luck!

Old 09-07-2020, 03:37 PM
user 7389739
Banned
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
I mean, say this car (2700$) JCW does have an accident in its history... is that a bad thing? Given its price? I’ve heard before that these cars can have small fender benders that get recorded as an accident, but no real damage to its frame or driveline.
Yes. Especially given the price. These days, it doesn't take much to total a car for insurance purposes and any accident serious enough to have been recorded could have done damage you, the body shop and the previous owner maybe can't see or know about.

Another thing, just looking at this car, and what's been done to it - brakes, tires, clutch, bushings, braces, fancy shifter etc - I'm thinking he's tracked it, possibly a lot. That's a wild card, as racing in general is hard on any car compared to "normal spirited driving." How the car was treated before, during and after track day is unknown. How many clutch dumps? How many redlines? How many spinouts? Any collisions? Etc.

For this and any Craplist deal he should be able to produce a clean title in his name and a current registration and smog certificate. No salvage or "repaired" title, no back registration or fees due. If he says he's selling it for a friend or relative, walk away; it's a scam.

Needless to say in that town bring a friend (or six) with you, in broad daylight and a public place (preferably one not involved in rioting at the time). Probably he's a legit guy, might even be on this board but why chance it. Protect yourself- mechanically, financially, and bodily.

Last edited by user 7389739; 09-07-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:53 PM
Jonny
5th Gear
Hmm the new added message. If it’s legit, my guess he’s got offers by email over $4k by now. If he’s scamming, he’s having a field day. Hard to say at this point. Buying out of state, on the internet sucks.

His Facebook listing:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...01744094022803

Last edited by Jonny; 09-07-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:05 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Hmm the new added message. If it’s legit, my guess he’s got offers by email over $4k by now. If he’s scamming, he’s having a field day. Hard to say at this point. Buying out of state, on the internet sucks.

His Facebook listing:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...01744094022803
yeah. I’ve sent multiple emails and zero replies. I didn’t see the FB add and I’m guessing someone else has gotten to him first via that medium. Yes, he’s got a ton of offers by now and it looks like I probably missed out on this one.

dammmmmmmmit.

Old 09-07-2020, 06:18 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RedSky455

... Needless to say in that town bring a friend (or six) with you, in broad daylight and a public place (preferably one not involved in rioting at the time). Probably he's a legit guy, might even be on this board but why chance it. Protect yourself- mechanically, financially, and bodily.
I appreciate the info and yes, it could be a deal tooo good to be true. Or this guy priced it way low and now he’s trying to figure out where the price needs to fall. If he does get back to me and tells me he has an offer for, let’s say “4K”. Is this a car any of you would be willing to fork over 4K for?

I hate I missed out. This would have been perfect for my situation. A great deal, with some money to spare to have for repairs, cosmetics... etc.

im sure these deals come and go... patience and more patience and even more patience... wha-wha-what what?? What did I just miss?? Exactly what I needed?? At half the cost?? 🥴🥴🥴

Old 09-07-2020, 07:17 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
2005 Cooper S
65k miles
Manual
$4500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7263708337092/

Heres the kicker... this car is minutes from my location. But it’s not a JCW... and it’s not 2700. 🙄🙄

but, if they were willing to come off that price 500-1k, maybe it is a route?? The more and more I look... the more and more I want a JCW. Unless I’m convinced from a forum regular that an S is just as capable with a few inexpensive add ons. Agggh. This search is numbing.

Old 09-07-2020, 07:32 PM
user 7389739
Banned
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts
Or this guy priced it way low and now he’s trying to figure out where the price needs to fall.
No.
This is not someone unfamiliar with these cars, or how to mod them. Doubtful he's clueless what a JCW is worth vs an S vs an R50 in this market.

Some other troubling things about the ad:

>As previously stated, no VIN. Easy enough to photograph in several places - right side near the strut tower, windshield, door jamb. Registration and title. Craplist even provides a field specifically for it.
>No photo of the JCW Kit serial badge or certificate, which is a treasured artifact for pre-2006 cars because they were all dealer retrofits not factory installed. Signed by Mr. Cooper himself too.
>Long list of mods and add-ons, recent and older maintenance including a clutch job in December, and mentions a roof wrap but he couldn't be troubled to change the oil or detail the car before posting the ad:
>"Car needs an oil change and could use a detail."
What th-?

Old 09-07-2020, 07:45 PM
Jonny
5th Gear
2005 Cooper S
65k miles
Manual
$4500

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...7263708337092/

Heres the kicker... this car is minutes from my location. But it’s not a JCW... and it’s not 2700. 🙄🙄

but, if they were willing to come off that price 500-1k, maybe it is a route?? The more and more I look... the more and more I want a JCW. Unless I’m convinced from a forum regular that an S is just as capable with a few inexpensive add ons. Agggh. This search is numbing.
sit back and enjoy the ride. just remember, you don’t pick the mini, the mini picks you. My attitude towards an. “S” or a JCW do you want the factory HP increase along with LSD, basically to most expensive model in the line (below GP), or $1-2000 less for for the 3rd down the line, with the ability to give it the basic performance of a JCW or better already installed or upgraded by you, the new owner.

If you want JCW performance, you have to put out more either way. Either the increased purchase price of a JCW right from the start, Buy an “S” with upgrades installed, for a little less than a JCW, or rock bottom for a stock “S” and upgrade over time. Just depends on where you are in life lol.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:22 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
No.
This is not someone unfamiliar with these cars, or how to mod them. Doubtful he's clueless what a JCW is worth vs an S vs an R50 in this market.

>As previously stated, no VIN. Easy enough to photograph in several places - right side near the strut tower, windshield, door jamb. Registration and title. Craplist even provides a field specifically for it.
>No photo of the JCW Kit serial badge or certificate, which is a treasured artifact for pre-2006 cars because they were all dealer retrofits not factory installed. Signed by Mr. Cooper himself too.
>Long list of mods and add-ons, recent and older maintenance including a clutch job in December, and mentions a roof wrap but he couldn't be troubled to change the oil or detail the car before posting the ad:
What th-?
you bring up some great points!! It is odd he didn’t put the VIN and to say car needs an oil change and a detail doesn’t make sense either. A simple google of average prices for the car you’re trying to sell should give you an idea of where to price it.

this helps really soften the blow on possibly missing out on this car. Then again, maybe he is purposely listing it low for attention and then will state he’s got a buyer who offered “4500” or even higher... forcing a bidding war.

I just posted an S that is literally minutes from me. It just popped up on FB in the town next door. The seller seems very nice and provided me the
VIN: WMWRE33425TD94437

there is one other person interested in it... maybe it’s true or just a ploy to rush me into making an offer. Unfortuantely, where I live is about an HR from a Mini dealer or probably a Mini mechanic (closest is Reno)

It has low miles for a 15 yr old car - 65k. I’m certain it’s probably never had the supercharger services or the timing chain, water cooler, etc. replaced. So those might come up soon for repairs. Said it doesn’t leak oil... but I’ve read you may not see it leaking visually, because of blow back and all. Definitely would want a PPI. But that might be a logistical hurdle given how remote we are.

Old 09-07-2020, 08:25 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
No.

What th-?
hey that last part about “signed by Mr Cooper himself” I didn’t know that!! So an 05 JCW is possibly more valuable than an 06?? If the two were equal...

Old 09-07-2020, 08:34 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
hey that last part about “signed by Mr Cooper himwself” I didn’t know that!! So an 05 JCW is possibly more valuable than an 06?? If the two were equal...
All things being equal, a factory built JCW would be worth more because of the LSD and brakes. The signature on the certificate was not John Cooper’s, it was his son’s Mike.

Most 1st gen JCW’s wouldn’t have an LSD, unless it was a factory built JCW starting with the 2006MY, or one was added later. Factory built JCW’s also included the JCW brake upgrade which was a separate kit at the dealer.

The LSD option was added for the 2005MY so its also possible to find a regular S with a factory LSD on the facelift cars.

Running the VIN through a decoder will show you how the car was built. Unfortunately, a lot of the online VIN decoders have recently stopped working.

Last edited by RB-MINI; 09-07-2020 at 08:39 PM.
Old 09-07-2020, 08:40 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
All things being equal, a factory built JCW would be worth more because of the LSD and brakes. The signature on the certificate was not John Cooper’s, it was his son’s Mike.

Most 1st gen JCW’s wouldn’t have an LSD, unless it was a factory built JCW starting with the 2006MY, or one was added later. Factory built JCW’s also included the JCW brake upgrade which was a separate kit at the dealer.

The LSD option was added for the 2005MY so its also possible to find a regular S with a factory LSD on the facelift cars.

Running the VIN through a decoder will show you how the car was built. Unfortunately, a lot of the online VIN decoders have recently stopped working.
ahh great info to know. Thanks!! There is a vin decoder link in one of the FAQs on here. I used it and ran this VIN: WMWRE33425TD94437
it listed everything but didn’t show if it had an LSD installed. Looking at the car, how would I know if it had one installed if the seller (a lady) had no idea?

Old 09-07-2020, 08:59 PM
RB-MINI
6th Gear
Received 507 Likes on 419 Posts
The factory JCW code on a 2006+ is 3AL. The LSD code should be 2TA or S2TAA, but not sure if it’s listed separately on a factory built JCW.

I think the last time I tried the NAM decoder it didn’t show as much info. I was using bimmerwork which stopped working for me and switched to mdecoder which also stopped working for me. Maybe you’ll have better luck with those sites as they were hit or miss for a while.

Someone recently posted here on NAM that the decoders have stopped working for them and the said it looked like some company was buying them up and making them paid sites.

The following users liked this post:
WGJP (09-07-2020)
Old 09-07-2020, 09:47 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
... deleted due to duplicate. Sorry

Old 09-07-2020, 09:57 PM
SydeShowJoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by RB-MINI
The factory JCW code on a 2006+ is 3AL. The LSD code should be 2TA or S2TAA, but not sure if it’s listed separately on a factory built JCW.

I think the last time I tried the NAM decoder it didn’t show as much info. I was using bimmerwork which stopped working for me and switched to mdecoder which also stopped working for me. Maybe you’ll have better luck with those sites as they were hit or miss for a while.

Someone recently posted here on NAM that the decoders have stopped working for them and the said it looked like some company was buying them up and making them paid sites.
how would we know if a factory installed LSD was on an 05? Or was that an add on for 05’s back then? I’m curious to learn the little nuances with Mini VINs.

Quick Reply: FS:: Good Deals on CL