MINIs & Minis for Sale Need a Mini or a MINI? Want a Mini or a MINI? You're at the right place!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Price:

Mileage:

Color:

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price:

Private or Vendor Listing:

Part fits (you may select multiples):

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

FS:: 2004 R53 Low miles, Lots of work done

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:54 PM
niided
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 R53 Low miles, Lots of work done

Year: 2004
Make: MINI
Model: Coupe
Price: $6495
Mileage: 50000
Color: Dark metallic silver/black
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Hawaii

Okay, here it is. If you have been waiting for that R53 owned by grandpa down the street , with low mileage (50,100 ) , unmolested, well cared for, and carefully driven, this is it.

Only thing it is over on Oahu, Honolulu, Hawaii. Shipping via Pasha Hawaii, about $975 to San Diego, Ca. Via Matson about $1070 to Seattle, Wa. Buyer will have to setup shipping, I will

drive Mini to the docks and get it onboard . I just bought a used 2017 BMW I3 electric vehicle from BMW Portland, drove it up to Seattle, and shipped back to Hawaii . Cost, $1070.

Going to be a 1 car family with the I3 , so selling my R53 and Nissan Leaf ev .

First owner 12/02/2004 ; Wisconsin

2nd owner 5/2007 @ 23,600 mi. ; Minneapolis, MN. Ad posted here on North American market place.

Bought for his new bride. Divorced in 6 months. Put mini up for sale. I saw posting on North American Motoring.

3rd owner 01/2008 @ 24,000 mi.

Flew up to Minneapolis, MN , picked up the car, my wife and I drove cross country to San Diego, Ca. And shipped the car to Hawaii via Pasha Hawaii shipping.

Original buyer ordered the car with the following ;

Dark metallic silver with black roof with black vinyl stripes

Premium package

Sport package

Convenience package

6 speed Getrag manual shift

Heated leather seats

Computer Nav. System/onboard computer

8 speaker Harman Kardon sound system

Extras he had dealer install;

Full body aero kit. Painted to match body paint

Hella driving lights

Arm rest

Chrome exterior mirrors

Cup holders

Black rubber floor mats front and back

Auxiliary audio input

Milltek cat back performance exhaust

Alta cold air intake

15% pulley

Dinan pulley

Okay, lets get to the good and the bad ;

First the bad , well not really, but irritating.
  1. When accelerating hard, like getting on the gas while entering freeway on ramp, car will sometimes hesitate, stumble, and I need to back off on the gas to accelerate smoothly. Not pinging, but stumbling, like a miss fire . There are no codes coming up when scanned , so no real direction as where to start. I called dealer and they said as such , no codes , they would be guessing at problem.
Pretty much as discussed here;

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...eleration.html

The only thing I tried was changing plugs, cleaning the coil poles. No help. I don’t drive the car very hard, and the only time it happens is when I stomp on the gas . Other than that, the car runs fine, so I just drive normally ( for me ) and it’s fine. Been like this for about 5 years.

2. About a month ago, I started getting a warning chime ( bong ) like when you leave your lights on, or door ajar. No warning lights on dash board. Happens intermittently when I come to a complete stop, and when I go , I get a single bong. Only happens on stop and go, then it’s okay till next time I stop and go.

Everything else works as should. Cold ac, heat, power windows, sunroof, etc., etc…

Now the big bonus. Most everything that will go wrong, not might, but will go wrong on these first gen Minis , I have replaced and fixed. Did all the work myself.

While the Mini was at the dealer , 2016 , getting the power steering pump and fan replaced under warranty, I was advised to replace rack and pinion steering unit and lower control arm bushings. Steering rack was leaking oil from seals and lower control arm bushings torn. Big, expensive job, even with a rebuilt steering rack. I was quoted over $3000 parts and labor.

So I said thank you, ordered the parts online, and set out to do the job myself.

Rebuilt steering rack from Jorgen Automotive. They deal mainly Volvo, VW, Saab, BMW, and provide just rebuilt steering racks. Highly recommended.

Bushings for lower control arms from RM European Auto Parts . I also ordered power steering hoses as those were leaking.

Mini had to be put in service mode ( entire front end of car has to be removed ) and the sub frame had to be unbolted and lowered.

So since I had easy access to rest of motor, I changed a bunch of parts;

Harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) was going bad, so replaced along with new bolt and main seal.

New serpentine belt

Water pump, flange, and hose

Thermostat and housing

Radiator hose (2)

Dipstick tube o-ring

Crankshaft position sensor o-ring

Serviced the super charger ( clean, new oil, new gaskets )

Valve cover gasket

Oil pan gasket. Pan was cleaned out ( pretty clean, very little sludge ) and put back with new bolts

Now the biggie; since everything was apart, and my clutch/flywheel had some very light chatter and burning smell once in awhile, I decided go for a clutch/flywheel change.

Bought the clutch kit, slave cylinder, bunch of seals and bolts from Pelican Parts.

Took me awhile , but it felt wonderful and confidence inspiring tackling the job myself. Did this back in 10/2016 and everything is dry and running smoothly. I have receipts for all the parts.

Early 2015 my friend purchased a Mini S countryman and immediately went to aftermarket rims, brakes and suspension. I bought the stock package from him, and that is what my R53 is running now. The front brakes, suspension and the rear shocks are from his car.

Installed a Craven Adjustable Short Shifter for MINI Cooper R53 (2004-2006)

Whalen stainless steel shifter ****

New headliner installed 2015.

The sunroof almost never used. No rust and tracks are very clean as pictured. I had double layer of the darkest tint installed on glass panels so sun glare and heat is not a problem .

There are paint chips and a few small door dings ( 3 or 4 ) pictured. Rock ding lower right front corner of hood pictured. Ding in driver side black hood stripe pictured.

Two chips in windshield that was fixed by previous owner in 2008. Has not been an issue.

Other than the silly bong warning and stumbling on hard acceleration, the car is a very good runner.

No smoking, no pet household, so no funky smells or animal fuzz.

During the 11 years of my ownership, full synthetic engine oil changed annually. Coolant and brake fluid flushed and changed every other year. At 73 years of age , time for someone else to enjoy this R53.

Even with the cost of shipping , with all the work already done, new buyer will be way ahead of the game.

Old 10-13-2019, 10:40 AM
pepperstripes
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow!! Did you sell it?

Old 10-13-2019, 03:12 PM
niided
Neutral
Originally Posted by pepperstripes
Wow!! Did you sell it?
Yes, sold back in July for $6495 via local Craigslist (Hawaii)

Thanks, D.T. Niide

The following users liked this post:
pepperstripes (10-17-2019)
Old 10-15-2019, 01:28 PM
USCooper
3rd Gear
FYI for that stumble if you never figured it out, might want to send this to the new owner:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...his-out-2.html