MTH Discussion (Archive) Have or interested in MTH software upgrades for your MINI? This is the place! Sponsored by MTH.

standar vs tuner file

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 07:49 PM
haulinS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no, you don't have to reset the ecu. you will feel the difference from stock without a doubt.

You've got the right idea about keeping the computer quiet. As an added measure, keep the peripherals in your car quiet too. Either keep your door shut or turn off the dome light, that gave me some issues while uploading my MTH file. Also, I've heard cell phones can interfere with the uplaod as well.

good luck and enjoy it!

Originally Posted by MiniFr34k
lol nice

im about to do the upload.. any tips? i know to turn off everything possible on the computer background antivrus savers etc etc, but am i missing anything?

Do i have to reset the ecu after uploading mth?

Old 02-21-2006, 08:58 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let us know how you like it!

Should be fun...

Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 09:19 PM
scobib
5th Gear
I thought part of the standard practice was resetting the adaptive learning? And then going out and driving the snot out of it?

I've done it both ways, though, and I couldn't really tell much of a difference...

Old 02-21-2006, 09:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I think there's been some errors there...

I talked to both a Mini service manager, and Andy Smith, and both said the ECU reset trick (Function 21 reset) only did the on-board computer. Also, it seems that non-volatile memory is the norm in ECU for adaptation values now, and a battery disconnect won't do it either, but I haven't seen any robust information on the Siemens ECU one way or the other on this one.

So I don't think any of the resets we thought we were doing did anything at all to the adaptation values in the ECU, and I"m as guilty as the next guy on this one.

That would be consistant with trying it both ways and not feeling a difference.

FWIW....

Maybe some that have dug deeper into ECU hacking can comment here?

Matt

Old 02-21-2006, 09:47 PM
MiniFr34k
2nd Gear
Hey Folks,

Got the chance to take it for a 5 min drive during my lunch break. So didnt have much time to tell the improvments with tuner file.

i know my front tyres arent the greatest, but have any of you experienced wheel spin in first at about 3000-4000 rpm?

im not saying a great deal of spin but just little chirps. I only have a catback & cai fitted, plus Ive got DSC so this suprised me abit !

Also noticed the car feels alot smoother, and sounding a little different when starting up.

Looking forward to the 20min drive home (might make it a 40min drive instead lol )

Cheers!

Old 02-28-2006, 02:46 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I got the Tuner File for a stock MCSC 06 with no mods. I dynoed for a baseline without the Tuner File and again with the Tuner File. I got a +5% improvement in HP & Torque in almost all RPM's. It really kicks in around 1500 rpms and stays at that +5% all the way to just before 7000 rpms.

I sent off for an update on my Tuner File to take into consideration the following modifications: 17% pulley, K&N CAI & Irididium cold plugs. Those where installed this last weekend. I'm going to dyno for a second delta (without the updated file). I have yet to get the updated file. When I do get it I will dyno it again to get a third delta. I'll post that info after the runs.

I will not post HP or Torque numbers as they are highly subject to many variables. I run on the same dyno. I try to run at the same temp & RH to reduce these variables effects. Deltas are rounded off to whole number.

I love that the DSC kicks in at much more aggressive driving. I now turn it off when I'm going to purposely get after it. The redline is pretty much at 7200 but it really doesn't matter for a street car since you're not going to drive at that level very often if at all. If I'm really getting after I'll shift at around 6750 when in the mountains.

I never have had a bog at 3k but more of a stutter. Heartbeat later it cleared up. Now it doesn't happen at all.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:13 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Glade to see someone doing numbers on a stock setup and with the tuner file! Can not wait to see what the improvement would be with the mods and the tuner file as well, One with out the tuner file and one with the tuner file for the mods. Shame you will not post the numbers for us to see them!

Garrett

Old 02-28-2006, 04:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Get A/F numbers too

and send them in, MTH sould be able to better tune your WOT map with that kind of data.

Matt

Old 02-28-2006, 08:27 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Let's just say I don't want to post numbers because they aren't what is important. Too many people are fixated on HP/Torque as being concrete, across the board numbers. What's important is the difference by percentage. Before & after. This will give you more concrete information as to how it may apply to your situation. Trust me, you aren't going to run on the dyno I do so it's not going to be possible to compare numbers like that. That's why the deltas are much more important.

Air Flow - Getting a little too deep for me as this is going to be a street car. If I was autocrossing then maybe but it's a cabrio so you do the math on that.

I will measure several different configurations: stock, stock w/Tuner file, mods w/Tuner file for stock, mods w/stock file, mods w/Tuner file for mods. I'll post deltas as I get it done in the next few weeks.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 PM
roddw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
hmmm, I always have that bog and go problem... :/ blah looks like I need this too :P
I am starting to think the "bog" problem is real, and not just my imagination, or that I was used to driving a different car with a different throttle response! If the tuner file can fix that--it will take away my only disappointment with this car.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 PM
garretwp
5th Gear
Can not wait!

Garrett

Old 03-23-2006, 07:54 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
The weather finally agreed with the opportunity to do the next dyno. Remember, this is the third run with the following mods in place: MTH Tuner file for a stock 06 Cooper S, 17% pulley, K&N CAI and Denso Iridiums.

Compared to a stock 06 Cooper S: +23.6%HP, +16.1%torque
Compared to a stock 06 Cooper S with Tuner file for stock: +14.8%, +10.3%

Performance up to 3.5krpm is a wash. After 3.5k things really crank up. HP maxes out at 6.5k and torque tops out at 4.5k.

I have the next Tuner file. It takes into account the mods. I think I'm going to go ahead, load it and just skip the stock file unless I just get a bug someday. Dyno run in 500 miles and hopefully another cool, wet Thursday.

Questions?

Old 03-23-2006, 09:31 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
so its looks as if your getting more power up top.... Thats where i need my power... after being with the bimmer guys... My mini keeps up, but its falls at around 120... i need more push up top like the bmws have.

Old 03-24-2006, 04:51 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I don't know how much power I'm getting at those kinds of speeds because I'm measuring over rpm. I do know that after 6.5k hp isn't immensely better. Don't get me wrong. It's definitely better but it tends to flatten out just like the original curve. I think this is a characteristic for this setup. I don't know what it would take to change that.

Torque is on the way down by the time I reach 6.5k. After that it really trends down. Top of the curve for this is at 4.5k

Old 05-12-2006, 04:15 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
I know it's been a while since I said I was going to get this done and I finally got it done last night. Can you say RL?

BTW, folks I went back over all my numbers and to review things after being away for a while and I have to confess that I screwed up some deltas in that previous post. Please forgive me, it was an honest mistake. I triple checked my numbers this time and here's what I have:

Stock w/MTH for Stock v Stock 1.0%HP* / 5.3%TQ
Mods w/MTH for Stock v Stock 15.7%HP / 16.1%TQ
Mods w/MTH for Stock v Stock w/MTH for Stock 14.8%HP / 10.3%TQ
Mods w/MTH for Mods v Stock 19.3%HP / 19.8%TQ
Mods w/MTH for Mods v Stock w/MTH for Stock 18.4%HP / 13.7%TQ
Mods w/MTH for Mods v Mods w/MTH for Stock 3.1%HP / 3.1%TQ

If this is confusing for some of you please feel free to ask. I want to post actual numbers but I don't want to set myself up to get lambasted for "you can't get that!" "What kind of dyno is it? Oh that one sucks, mine's better." or better yet "What did you do? Put ice on the IC?"

And finally no AF numbers. I might save that for the next round of power mods (exhaust & maybe DFIC?) Stay "tuned"!

*Note: The topend HP on this setup was about the same, but the actual curve provided a +5% throughout the entire power curve until the top end where it flattened out to almost the same as stock.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 AM
gt6
5th Gear
OK, you got me, I'm a bit confused but hopefully you can easily clear my mind.

I'm particularly interested in the Mods w/MTH for Mods v Stock entry. As I see it, you are comparing your stock setup (no mods, no MTH) with your MTH file for the Mods you have and are seeing a HP increase of 19.3% and a torque increase of 19.8%.

If that is correct, that's all I need to know. If I'm out to lunch on my assessment, you need to enlighten me. And speaking of out to lunch, it's about that time.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
Yep, that's it. I compared each mod along the way to see exactly what percentage gains where made so y'all could apply it to your situation. I'm still astounded at those gains. The thing that makes it even cooler is chirpin' into third. Now it's the suspension upgrade game. Got the USS. Next is tires/wheels/brakes/RSB/Koni FSD. And after that...

Old 05-16-2006, 11:32 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
any problems with warranty work with your ecu mod?

Old 05-17-2006, 05:16 AM
Gr8Force
5th Gear
None so far but then again I'm a tad over due the 10k service even though I do my own oil/filter. I just find it tough to let go of my Icarus! And the local MINI shop is garnering horror stories for service or should I say lack of service.