Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio DVD image run through dash NAV screen!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2003, 11:52 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Tomorrow, I will be spying on another motorer with an MCS that has NAV. He is adding a DVD head unit (no screen) and adding a tuner interface which sends the DVD image to his NAV screen. He will be able to see either NAV or DVD video on the screen but not both at the same time. For the DVD video to run the parking brake needs to be up-just in case you are wondering. He also had the full audio/amps/speakers/ custom boot shelf stuff done. Complete audio/video overhaul.

Old 06-13-2003, 12:33 AM
skrutzen
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me know all the info on this. I have the Nav system and am interested in doing this mod. And of course I'm curious of price and where to get this stuff.

Old 06-13-2003, 01:03 AM
minihune
Tomorrow I am going for a new amplifier at the shop that is doing this work. I hear that the tuner alone is $1295. Plus the cost of the DVD/CD head unit, amp,speakers, labor, cables etc. The shop is keeping the car for several days. This is not a small project and you have to be really careful working with BMW electrical systems. This is probably one of the more experienced pro audio shops for mini upgrades. I will do the spying and get the details-more tomorrow.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:59 PM
minihune
From
http://www.nav-tv.com/products-mini-navtv.htm

MINI Cooper NAV-TV System
The MINI Cooper NAV-TV System adds a video module to your current system which allows you to watch TV right on the navigation screen. You can also add a DVD-player or any other device to the setup. more...

Requirements:
Navigation System

What it is for:
All MINI Coopers with Navigation

Description:
The MINI Cooper NAV-TV System is a do-it-yourself kit that adds a Video Module to your car. This module adds a "Television" choice to your on-screen menu that allows your passengers to watch broadcast television right on the screen as you drive.

Normally, the Video Module is only available in Europe and disables video while the car is in motion. Our modified device is made for US vehicles and the video stays on as you drive!

You can also choose to have us install auxiliary inputs to the video module so you can add a DVD-player, video game console, or any other device you wish to your car. (Tune to channel "AV" and your device is displayed.)

The kit consists of the following:

1. Video Module - (explained above)
2. Cables and Harnesses - used to connect and secure Video Module
3. Stick-on-Glass Antenna - used to acquire signal
4. Detailed Instructions - easy to read with many hi-res pictures

Pictures:
http://www.nav-tv.com/gallery/minimenu.JPG
http://www.nav-tv.com/gallery.htm

So you can use the NAV screen for the normal NAV functions, or play DVD or TV. There is a TV tuner and you can pick up stations via a TV antennae.

I'd rather just enjoy driving the car.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:11 PM
chrisfb1
5th Gear
this is a very good personal site who have done this and post the detail pictures

http://www.semi.nu/jay/mini/

Hope it is gonna help.
Jay!! please forgive me to post this, just try to help other MINI fans!!

Old 06-14-2003, 11:41 AM
antsmini
6th Gear
I am getting this done on Tuesday..at the NAV TV shop in NY. Ill post some pics when its done.

Old 06-14-2003, 11:47 AM
jsun
6th Gear
Normally, the Video Module is only available in Europe and disables video while the car is in motion. Our modified device is made for US vehicles and the video stays on as you drive!
Thereby allowing you to experience the pleasure of unsafely operating a car that will now be illegal in 35 states! Just say POO! to those foofy Europeans with their pesky notions of highway safety! We're AMERICANS!, and we can watch TV, talk on the phone, apply cosmetics, AND drive at the same time! (sort of).

Old 06-14-2003, 11:55 AM
2minis
6th Gear
i like to watch.....

Old 06-18-2003, 10:31 AM
minihune
I have seen the DVD image on the dash NAV screen and it is very good quality. Worth having if you want the clean dash look albeit a smaller size screen. Just in case you are wondering. Also the NAV TV with antenna works fine and gives a good picture as well.

Old 06-18-2003, 10:36 AM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What jsun said.

Old 06-18-2003, 01:14 PM
SSJ_Chris
Neutral
So what makes this Nav-TV module so specail?? I take it that in back of the factory navigation box there is some sort of plug input that will take the Nav-TV device and allow it to play movies. Is the problem of adding a video source to the factory Navigation screen the plug or is it a very specific module that only works with the factory system, hence the need for the Nav-TV Module. I would love if someone could post pictures of the Nav-TV module and maybe the instructions so we can figure out how this is all done. Thanks for everyones help

Chris

Old 06-18-2003, 04:16 PM
minihune
I'm not sure that it is a do it yourself type of upgrade mostly because it took a pro audio shop many days of work to take apart the front dash, remove the passenger seat and pull out the carpet in the front right in order to install the needed modules and wires to get this all to work.
First you buy a DVD/CD player for in dash. I don't think that you can directly input the video to the NAV screen, you'll need a separate adapter- this is the NAV TV unit which allows you to use the NAV screen for a TV (has a built in tuner for TV via antenna). Since the DVD video signal can be fed into the NAV TV unit, the NAV TV module can feed the DVD signal on to the NAV screen. Nobody makes the NAV TV module and it is about the size of an in dash radio. Lots of cables and lots of chance to mess up the very sensitive electronics of the MINI which like all BMWs can be a nightmare if you mess it up. So I would leave it to professionals.

Old 06-18-2003, 06:06 PM
SSJ_Chris
Neutral
Thank goodness I do car stereo installs for a living. I know it takes time but i only trust myself when doing that type of work that you explained in your last post. I live in PA so I doubt I would enjoy the idea of traveling to NY if my dash was rattling or if something went wrong. The only thing that I want to see is the module itself and take a look at it. SO.... since some of you guys are getting the unit installed, do you think you might be so kind as to take some pics for me :smile:

Thanks

Chris

Old 06-18-2003, 06:15 PM
antsmini
6th Gear
Well, I just got back from NAV TV HQ in Brooklyn NY....and I have to say I am VERY pleased. These guys are very proffesional. They make and install NAV TV for BMW, Rover, Mercedes and MINI.
My NAV led me right to them and once there the install only took three hours instead of the promised five. It wasnt the best area of Brooklyn but certainly not the worst by any means.
They installed the TV Tuner under my drivers seat so i can watch TV on the NAV screen and ran the antenna to a panel in the boot where it cannot be seen. They also added aux jacks so I can hook in a DVD or Playstation if I want. THIS IS THE CLEANEST install I have ever seen. Only thing I can see is the tuner under my drivers seat if I go and look for it...other than that you cant tell any other part of the car has been affected.
Me and the guys there chatted it up about MINIs and they said they have installed NAV TV on 12 MINIs so far. Apparently this part they use is specifically made for BMWs in Europe to watch TVs...so its all plug and play which is another reason its so neat. In fact my radio even displays "TV" when the TV NAV is on...so again it was meant for the car. I tried hooking up a DVD when I got home and it works great. Again I recommend them. http://www.nav-tv.com

Now for some pics:

Some matrix action....