Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Cleansweep Help - Which HK amp outputs are full range?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:15 PM
chilisport
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleansweep Help - Which HK amp outputs are full range?

Can someone tell me whether any of the 8 sets of HK amp outputs are full range? From what I have read, the amp includes the following outputs:

(1) R/L door mid/tweeter combo
(2) R/L door midbass
(3) R/L rear speaker (two sets for dual voice coils)

It wouldn't make sense for (1) above to be full range signals (they must be high pass, probably around 150 Hz or so). I am guessing that (2) is either a bandpass or a straight low pass. As for (3), I have no idea whether these signals are filtered at all.

Can someone let me know whether the rear sets of outputs are filtered? Also, can someone confirm my deductions regarding the filters on the door speakers?

The reason I ask is because I am planning on installing a JL Audio Cleansweep; in order to install it properly, the Cleansweep needs to be fed a full range signal from the OEM amplifier. I know others have used the Cleansweep, so I am guessing it can work.

Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 04:14 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As I said elsewhere, I think your best bet is to try the rear speaker feeds - and even then, you might find that only one of the two pairs gives you a possibility. And only in certain H/K modes.

Why are you trying to get CleanSweep to work with the H/K?
If your plan is to remove the H/K amp/speakers and drive some aftermarket amp/speaker setup, then you'll be far better advised to do exactly that.

If you disconnect the H/K amp, the stock HU will run in it's normal non-H/K mode. Of course you'll need to do some speaker wiring changes too!

Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM
chilisport
1st Gear
GBMINI -

We seem to be missing each other on different threads; sorry for any confusion.

I plan to add aftermarket amps and drivers, hence the cleansweep. I will take your suggestion and tap into the headunit's outputs, pre-amp.

One final question: if I disconnect the amp's speaker inputs, will the remaining non-audio functions of the amp continue to operate as before?

Old 11-15-2007, 02:18 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
If you don't fully disconnect the H/K amp, then the HU will continue to drive it's speaker outputs at full volume, no matter what volume you choose. You have to disconnect the H/K completely if you want the HU speaker levels to vary with volume.
If you remove the H/K amp completely, which I think you must do, you will lose the H/K modes (SPATIAL, FESTIVAL, etc) - but the HU will work fine as a standalone unit playing CDs, radio ... bass/treble will have the normal effect on the HU speaker outputs (which then presumably go in to CleanSweep).

NOTE:
Only front speaker l/r from HU is run in the car when equipped with H/K; that might be enough for you - but if you want to use FADE controls, you'll need to run the rear speaker l/r from back of HU.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:11 PM
chilisport
1st Gear
Great, this is exactly what I needed. I will go ahead and take out the whole am. You have allayed my concerns that the amp performed additional functions that I would want to keep. As far as the HU outputs, I only need one set of full range signals for the Cleansweep. What you've given me will work perfectly.

Also, I am not interested in the various modes through HK. To be perfectly honest, I didn't even realize the radio had these options until the other day. I checked them out, and none of them was particularly pleasing, other than "h/k mini," which is the one I've been listening to all along.

Incidentally, I checked out your site--great information. I just wish we mini drivers weren't forced to learn via trial and error. Oh well, such is the state of things...

Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:14 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Good luck - let us know how it works out

Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
If you aren't set on keeping the stock HU, another option is to get an aftermarket HU and use GBMINI's HKEnabler to drive the H/K amp. The HU would give you a full range signal along with volume control.

Old 11-16-2007, 01:33 PM
chilisport
1st Gear
rkw -

I considered that option at one point. However, I have two high quality amplifiers and several drivers I want to use. Thus, the OEM amp and drivers will become bookends in short order.

Eventually, I would like to upgrade the HU. Unfortunately, the HUs I'm interested in are >$1,000, and not within my current budget. Some day...