Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 09:42 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Good point Mike - my point of reference is the Belkin adapter/cupholder mount I got on ebay for $15. The intravee solution is very cost effective relative to an OEM solution (but don't tell Edge.)

Thanks for the edit, Edge - that's cool! I wish your vid was a bit closer up - but it gives an idea of the interface (and I love the dutch Nav voice!)

Old 11-20-2007, 10:23 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Good point Mike - my point of reference is the Belkin adapter/cupholder mount I got on ebay for $15. The intravee solution is very cost effective relative to an OEM solution (but don't tell Edge.)
Eric... you must have missed my endorsement above...

I actually had my Intravee before Mike did, and helped him get ready for firmware updates when his arrived. The irony though is that although I have my Intravee, I still don't have Mr. OEM back to actually use it!

I'm definitely gung-ho about this. I have hated the OEM 1st Gen iPod solution since day 1. It is the largest and most blatant exception to my "OEM only" rule for Mr. OEM.
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Thanks for the edit, Edge - that's cool! I wish your vid was a bit closer up - but it gives an idea of the interface (and I love the dutch Nav voice!)
Yeah I thought that was funny too. Still, it's nice to see that someone made a demo video in an actual MINI... good proof of concept, even if the other videos do a better job of explaining the system.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:45 AM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
Quick question for those with the Intravee already.....Should I update the firmware before installing? My Intravee unit and Alpine interface will arrive in the next few days and read about some people updating firmware but not sure if we need to for our Minis. Did you guys update before installing?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:18 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It should have the one that you need on it. (5.31) The new release is interim and has some issues with MINI.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:29 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Agreed. Stay with the 5.31-306 firmware that's on the shipping version for now.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
My "commercial release" version of the Intravee came with an older firmware that was not MINI compatible. I had to upgrade before it worked properly... but since I had one from the first commercial in the USA, the current ones will probably be up to date.

Old 11-24-2007, 01:31 AM
daflake
6th Gear
According to Simon, the commercial versions were shipped with 5.31. I bought mine just before they went commercial from Bimmernav (it was a test model) and it came with 5.31. Makes me wonder if you got a bit of an older model? Nothing wrong with that as they are 256 versions are all the same.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 AM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
I got the Intravee yesterday, but I havent even unpacked it yet because the Alpine adapter is still in transit. According to UPS tracking the Alpine adapter should arrive on the 29th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its like my own little xmas Ill open up the Intravee when I get the Alpine then do the install. I'll post pics.

Old 11-24-2007, 05:34 AM
FP
5th Gear
Originally Posted by chicagolab
I got the Intravee yesterday, but I havent even unpacked it yet because the Alpine adapter is still in transit. According to UPS tracking the Alpine adapter should arrive on the 29th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its like my own little xmas Ill open up the Intravee when I get the Alpine then do the install. I'll post pics.
I love to see yours functioning once you install it. Any chance of us getting together? I want to see if it's worth for me to replace the one I have.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Where did you purchase? I'm getting an itchy trigger finger.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:27 PM
daflake
6th Gear
www.bimmernav.com is the only place that sells them right now.

Old 12-02-2007, 07:27 AM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
I bought my unit from Bimmernav. The Alpine unit I picked up from a member on the BMWe90 forum. I just ordered a ipod for the Mini. FYI the Ipod video 30gb unit is just $159 refurbished from apple on their website and comes wiht warranty(warranty is recommended for ipods).

Today is the install day!!!!! I try to do the write up and post pics tonight. I'm dedicating most of today to the Mini. I'm picking up a new set of tires, swaping out side turn signals to clear and best of all installing the Intravee.

Old 12-02-2007, 08:11 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
There's not much to take pics of as far as the installation goes seeing as the entire setup is 100% plug-n-play.

You're going to LOVE it!!!

Old 12-02-2007, 11:15 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
...Today is the install day!!!!! I try to do the write up and post pics tonight...
It's times like this I hate being a cheap b@stard.:impatient
Looking forward to your writeup/impressions. (Like you're going to tell me anything I don't already know... )
Have fun!

Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Quit being cheap, you will love it.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
finally set up

Finally able to use the nav screen for something other than a onboard cpu(my nav is not reading discs). It was a quick and easy set up. Opened up the passanger boot door and there was the changer cables taped with masking tape. The ends were taped up so I just untaped them.

then I connected the cables and did a quick test

I then used velcro to mount the alpine an intravee

the cable comes out the side of the door and I snaked it under the rear seat

I snaked it under the ebrake and through the little round door, I wanted to easily access the ipod

Old 12-02-2007, 09:17 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
the results

the finished results

Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
It seems to work well, I need time to play with it since theres no instructions. I'll report back once I use it a little

Old 12-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Mrono
3rd Gear
OoOo, those look nice, i'll have to get one once i get an ipod.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Wow - installs don't get much easier than that!
Be sure to give us a review in a few days.

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 AM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Nice! Congrats on your new Intravee install.

BTW, the user's guide can be found here:

http://www.intravention.co.uk/files/...User_Guide.pdf

Old 12-03-2007, 06:36 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
cable length

How long is the cable that connects the ipod to the intravee control unit? If I change out the dice, I would love to mount the ipod in the armrest again.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM
chicagolab
2nd Gear
the cable to the ipod is coming from the Alpine unit and is approx. 5ft I think (It ran with just enough length from the trunk door to where you see it in my pics). Another option I was considering if the cord wasnt long enough was to just have the Intravee in the boot door and then the Alpine unit on top of the nav computer under the passanger seat (OfficeMaven his alpine there, I think).

Old 12-03-2007, 09:03 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
There's actually two cables... One goes from the Intravee to the KCA-420i (blue) and the other one goes from the KCA-420i to your iPod (black). Each of the cables is around 6 feet in length if I remember correctly.

There should be plenty of cable length available to install the iPod dock cable into your arm rest. If not, then all you have to do is install the KCA-420i unit under your passenger's seat (as shown in my very first post in this thread) and then you'll have gobs of cable really close to your arm rest.

Old 12-03-2007, 09:04 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Looks like you beat me to the draw.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav