Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Edit: Discovered that it's a 'deep sleep' issue with the ipod/KCA 420i interface. Still, anyone else deal with this, and what's your preferred solution?
I still had much usage time with my Intravee II in order to give you a really good answer, but I would highly encourage you to read up and check on the Intravee forums... the last time I browsed there, I distinctly remember reading some mention of 'deep sleep', so I suspect it's a known problem and there may be a workaround or fix.

At the very least, you should ensure you have the latest version of the Intravee firmware.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:10 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Edge
I still had much usage time with my Intravee II in order to give you a really good answer, but I would highly encourage you to read up and check on the Intravee forums... the last time I browsed there, I distinctly remember reading some mention of 'deep sleep', so I suspect it's a known problem and there may be a workaround or fix.

At the very least, you should ensure you have the latest version of the Intravee firmware.
Any updated reviews on this unit? I'm thinking of getting one to replace my DICE.

Old 04-06-2008, 03:51 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Been using mine for a good six months now and love it. The only problem that I have is some noise on the line, but I think that is a BMW crummy wiring issue.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:18 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Same here... My IVII is amazing! I couldn't live without it.

The only (minor) problem I'm having with it is that every time I start my car the now playing screen is blank. I have to push the RND button twice in order to fill in the display. It's no biggie, but I'd really like to see them fix the problem. There hasn't been any firmware updates for quite a while now and so I don't see a fix coming any time soon which is a bit of a bummer.

Old 04-06-2008, 12:34 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheOfficeMaven
Same here... My IVII is amazing! I couldn't live without it.

The only (minor) problem I'm having with it is that every time I start my car the now playing screen is blank. I have to push the RND button twice in order to fill in the display. It's no biggie, but I'd really like to see them fix the problem. There hasn't been any firmware updates for quite a while now and so I don't see a fix coming any time soon which is a bit of a bummer.
If you let it be the next song will populate the screen. I don't know why it does that though.

Old 04-06-2008, 01:35 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
Yes, I noticed that as well. If I move to the next song (manually or automatically) it does indeed refresh the screen. Thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:42 PM
101dals
2nd Gear
intravee

Installed the intravee last week. All I can say is wow. This is what the DICE should have been. I gave up on waiting for the DICE nav fix (I think they've been "working" on it for over 2 years now). If you have nav, go with the Intravee! You won't regret it!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:57 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
Any updated reviews on this unit? I'm thinking of getting one to replace my DICE.
Pretty much as the others say.
My big niggler is the 'deep sleep' issue, as stated previously, and the fact that I'm too much of a dork to figure out how to get my ipod to not deep sleep.
The 'blank screen' on startup is another one, but two pushes of the random button or the next song fix that.
The final downside is a relatively slow search mechanism (when searching artists), but I think that's a function of the Alpine interface more than anything.
Overall I'm extremely happy with it and would get it again. Unlike Mike, I COULD live without it, but I don't want to. It's leaps and bounds better than trying to use the scroll wheel on the ipod while driving.

Old 05-11-2008, 09:04 PM
recordsmith
1st Gear
Hey guys,

I have been looking into this unit as I already have the KAC from my last car. Anyway I only scanned this thread, and it might have been said, but the deep sleep issue is an alpine one. I have had it ever since I got the thing. The trick is if you have left the iPod for a while then before you go wake it and unplug and re plug. I am going to put this into my armrest so it can be done from inside the car. the last time it was in my truck and boy did it get annoying. I am sure there are better ways but this works for me. Even with this fault I think it is the best solution. Oh and the alpine unit does work the iPod touch.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:12 PM
runningerin
2nd Gear
Hi! I have a 2005 MCS Convertible. My Cooper does not have a cubby OR CD changer cables in the boot. My Nav box is under the driver's seat. I have an iPod connector and Aux jack in the glove box. What I would MOST like to do is watch DVD's/movies through my Nav screen whether it be off a DVD in the Nav box or via movies loaded on my iPod. Can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this? Thanks!!

Old 06-01-2008, 06:54 PM
pyrrhusmj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by runningerin
Hi! I have a 2005 MCS Convertible. My Cooper does not have a cubby OR CD changer cables in the boot. My Nav box is under the driver's seat. I have an iPod connector and Aux jack in the glove box. What I would MOST like to do is watch DVD's/movies through my Nav screen whether it be off a DVD in the Nav box or via movies loaded on my iPod. Can anyone suggest a way to accomplish this? Thanks!!
Not saying you do or do not have the adapter in the boot, but look about half way up the right side wall, taped to some cables. I swore that I didn't have the adapter until I pulled out the right side trunk liner for another project, and the adapter was right there in my cabrio.

Old 06-01-2008, 07:40 PM
runningerin
2nd Gear
Well, I did some further investigating, and after practically climbing into the boot, I pulled a piece of the liner out and found a cable with more like a clip at one end inserted into something else. I thought I was looking for free cables, but not sure. Is it possible to watch movies on the Nav screen with this Intravee II/ Alpine setup? Anybody done it?

Last edited by runningerin; 06-01-2008 at 07:40 PM. Reason: misspelling
Old 06-01-2008, 08:30 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
No, the CD changer cable is audio only.

You need an adapter that adds a video input for the Nav. There are several available for the BMW/MINI Nav. Here are a couple:
http://www.gnetcanada.com/navvideo-m...et_rgb_bmw.asp
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=338
Here's one specifically for iPod video: http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...uctshow&id=351
Actually, MINI has an OEM video adapter, but not sold in the US and not plug-and-play for aux video (meant for use with the OEM front or rear camera).

TheOfficeMaven has a video setup (writeup here: http://www.motoringfile.com/2005/06/...i_video_input/ ).

Last edited by rkw; 06-01-2008 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2008, 04:31 AM
runningerin
2nd Gear
Gosh, awesome! Thanks for the info! I couldn't find all this in my searching!

Old 10-11-2008, 01:35 PM
blufkin
Neutral
Just installed the Intravee & Alpine in my daughters "03" with H/K Boost and Nav.
Took about 10 minutes as both components tucked into the back right panel and the cord will still reach to the ebrake lever without routiing. AWESOME .

Old 04-04-2013, 07:12 PM
bradnic
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Lots of changes since 2008.. Updated info on the Intravee here

Old 04-05-2013, 02:45 AM
daflake
6th Gear
Got and Intravee II and KCI that I would willing to sell for 250 plus shipping if anyone is interested. I had it for a few years, but have moved on to a different phone.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:25 AM
bradnic
3rd Gear
PMd - I'll take 'em

Old 04-05-2013, 05:04 AM
bradnic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by recordsmith
Hey guys,

I have been looking into this unit as I already have the KAC from my last car. Anyway I only scanned this thread, and it might have been said, but the deep sleep issue is an alpine one. I have had it ever since I got the thing. The trick is if you have left the iPod for a while then before you go wake it and unplug and re plug. I am going to put this into my armrest so it can be done from inside the car. the last time it was in my truck and boy did it get annoying. I am sure there are better ways but this works for me. Even with this fault I think it is the best solution. Oh and the alpine unit does work the iPod touch.
I know this is a 5 year old thread, but the whole iPod deep sleep/hibernate issue is solved by a KCA420i mod. It involves soldering a wire and drilling out a small hole on the circuit board to cut a connection. Here is the link to the latest mod description - highly recommended. Looks like RichardP of Intravee himself is the author which is kinda cool. Those KCA420is are older than the hills now. no idea if they're still being updated, but they're mandatory for the Intravee.

Last edited by bradnic; 04-05-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:09 AM
RichardP
1st Gear
Can I point you here.

Old 04-07-2013, 11:24 AM
bradnic
3rd Gear
Thanks Richard.

I also updated my R53 bluetooth thread with your latest info here. Any plans for "extra" features on 1st gen minis? will the flasher feature work with these cars? data logging?

Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM
daflake
6th Gear
I never modified the one that I sold you. I basically left it alone once I got things working the way that I liked it.

Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 AM
RichardP
1st Gear
Data logging will work, the data is all broadcast over the iBus with 'standard' messages.

The functions on the 'Control' menu may or may not work, the selection of car type will have an impact. Mini will be closest to the E46, probably type 2, but there may well be components (Light Control Module and Body Module) that are quite different. It's probable that all the features could be made to work, but this will probably require connecting INPA to the diagnostic port and monitoring the messages that it sends. The messages can then be incorporate into the Intravee firmware with a specific 'Mini' vehicle type.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:51 PM
bradnic
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by daflake
I never modified the one that I sold you. I basically left it alone once I got things working the way that I liked it.
that's ok. more to play with :-) now both my cars will have Intravees.. just need some extras enabled for the R53 JCW..

Old 04-13-2013, 07:02 PM
joylove
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Hi Richard

Any love for the R52 cabrio? The roof both with the engine running and with comfort is particularly painful.

It pauses at a half open "sunroof" position when opening and closing, it waits for the rear windows to fully lower before it starts opening to the fully open position.

The comfort open and close are equally cumbersome, stopping dead when the door opens, pausing at the sunroof position.

I'd love to have the roof open and close to be fully automatic.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Intravee II - iPod Adapter for 1st Gen MINIs with Factory Nav