Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Upgraded Audio Project

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Sean Bradley
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mark... I am Celia's husband/car audio installer. This system was installed on a 2007 R56 Mini Cooper S without DSC and WITHOUT HIFI AUDIO UPGRADE!

I honestly have no idea how the system would connect to a "BOOST" Audio system. I hear that the factory amplifier is somehow tied into the car's computer brain and future software upgrades to the computer are not possible without the factory "Boost Stereo's" amp intact.

The back of Celia's head unit had 4 speaker wires leaving it... Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left & Rear Right. As for the colors of the wires, I don't remember but I found them on a thread here on NAM. One stinger was connected to the front channel and one to the rear. Both were connected to a set of Stinger RCA cables that were run under the seat to the Diamond D3 4 channel amp. The front channel of the amp goes to a set of Diamond D3 separates in the doors which have crossovers that have four sets of connections... INPUT, TWEETER, WOOFER & REAR ACOUSTICAL FILL (RAF). Then there is a speaker cable that runs from the RAF posts, through the door, into the car, under the floor and up to the rear 6x9 locations were there is NO 6x9 but a 6" Diamond D3 coaxial. As for the rear channel of the amp, it goes to the boot, into the subwoofer box.

So... to recap... the front channel of the head unit and Diamond D3 amplifier power ALL of the high and midrange speakers in the car and the rear channel has been assigned to the subwoofer exclusively. The OEM head unit's FADER ability is used as a BASS REMOTE. Dial the fader to the front for less subwoofer and to the rear for more subwoofer.

This was meant to be a simple set-up that allowed for a great system on a relatively cheap budget (i.e. No use of AudioControl Line Level devices or items like the pricey and non user friendly JL Cleansweep.) However, due to the construction of the Mini Cooper and its incredible stupid integrated head unit, this was one of the most difficult installations (labor wise) that I have ever done!

My recommendation is to look at some other threads that address the upgrade for the HIFI system not the basic system.

Good Luck...

Old 01-05-2008, 03:16 PM
mwittstock
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Sean Bradley
Mark... I am Celia's husband/car audio installer. This system was installed on a 2007 R56 Mini Cooper S without DSC and WITHOUT HIFI AUDIO UPGRADE!

I honestly have no idea how the system would connect to a "BOOST" Audio system. I hear that the factory amplifier is somehow tied into the car's computer brain and future software upgrades to the computer are not possible without the factory "Boost Stereo's" amp intact.

The back of Celia's head unit had 4 speaker wires leaving it... Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left & Rear Right. As for the colors of the wires, I don't remember but I found them on a thread here on NAM. One stinger was connected to the front channel and one to the rear. Both were connected to a set of Stinger RCA cables that were run under the seat to the Diamond D3 4 channel amp. The front channel of the amp goes to a set of Diamond D3 separates in the doors which have crossovers that have four sets of connections... INPUT, TWEETER, WOOFER & REAR ACOUSTICAL FILL (RAF). Then there is a speaker cable that runs from the RAF posts, through the door, into the car, under the floor and up to the rear 6x9 locations were there is NO 6x9 but a 6" Diamond D3 coaxial. As for the rear channel of the amp, it goes to the boot, into the subwoofer box.

So... to recap... the front channel of the head unit and Diamond D3 amplifier power ALL of the high and midrange speakers in the car and the rear channel has been assigned to the subwoofer exclusively. The OEM head unit's FADER ability is used as a BASS REMOTE. Dial the fader to the front for less subwoofer and to the rear for more subwoofer.

This was meant to be a simple set-up that allowed for a great system on a relatively cheap budget (i.e. No use of AudioControl Line Level devices or items like the pricey and non user friendly JL Cleansweep.) However, due to the construction of the Mini Cooper and its incredible stupid integrated head unit, this was one of the most difficult installations (labor wise) that I have ever done!

My recommendation is to look at some other threads that address the upgrade for the HIFI system not the basic system.

Good Luck...
Thanks for the information - it makes perfect sense! Although a total pain in the ***, it is the sharpest system I have seen on the boards - nice job. I plan on purchasing a Mini this year without the Hi-Fi upgrade - so it should be the same as your Mini.

Do you know if anything has come of some company making the sub box you created? How much time did it take you to create it?

Would you be willing to sell the templates for the fronts and 6" speakers? ;-) Is your sub a 4ohm or 2ohm?

Thanks again.
Mark

Last edited by mwittstock; 01-05-2008 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:34 PM
Satsloader
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sean,

I've been wanting to say congrats to you on a very classy sub install for quite awhile!!, I've been lurking at DIYMA for the last couple of months boning up for my own install in my 2008 just-a-Coop..

I wanted to bump this thread to add that for those who haven't found it, there's another thread referring to an easier access point for the speaker leads..

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=151132

It beats having to remove the head unit..

Cheers,

Bill

Old 08-25-2008, 08:57 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Great sub install, I am planning on making a wood/fiberglass enclosure similar to what Sean built, but for a Clubman S. I am also planning on making tweeter enclosures to replace the 4" stock speakers.

Old 08-25-2008, 09:20 PM
mslatter
4th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
That's a great install. Very creative solution on decorating the sub, and as a bonus, it kind of levels out the floor when the seats are down.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Reza
2nd Gear
Here it's my upgraded non Hi-Fi

The stereo upgrade is now complete. I went with Pioneer premier series all around. Speakers, front and back, 10" shallow sub with 4 channel 600 W Amp. plus Dynamat. It's a pro. install, took them a day and I think it came out pretty good. It sounds amazing.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:18 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Reza
The stereo upgrade is now complete. I went with Pioneer premier series all around. Speakers, front and back, 10" shallow sub with 4 channel 600 W Amp. plus Dynamat. It's a pro. install, took them a day and I think it came out pretty good. It sounds amazing.
Reza can you show another picture with sub enclosure pulled up or out? I would love to see your fiberglass enclosure.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:00 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Yeah, I'd like to see it too, given whatever rasputinj gets - will be in my Clubman S too...