Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Armrest phone charger for Razr V3

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 11:06 AM
ChubbyChecker
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Armrest phone charger for Razr V3

So, Since I didn’t see the point in spending over $100 for basically a phone charger in my armrest, I decided to try something cheaper. My phone is a Razr V3 so this is primarily aimed at those phones.

After tearing out the center console using different NAM posts to figure out how to do it, I used a Philmore cigarette lighter socket, pn TC600, that I got at Fry’s Electronics for $1.69 and tapped into the cigarette lighter plug in the center console. I was then able to plug the vehicle charger that came with my phone into the socket and stuff it into the empty space next to the shifter.

I then ran the charger cable down along the edge of the console and up through the armrest. I ran it in the un-used wire channel on the right side (looking back) of the armrest support.

Since the cable was coiled I had to stretch the cable out to straighten it. Once I had the end of the cable up in the armrest I realized I had a problem. The USB port is on the left side of my phone and the end of the charger is straight. There wasn’t enough room in the armrest to bend the cable to make the phone fit properly. I had actually found this out before tearing my car apart and found a solution beforehand. Motorola makes a right angle USB adapter for the Razr. So searching on the internet I found one through Amazon for $.55 + $4.98 shipping. The Motorola pn is: SKN6182. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...S/ref=dp_olp_2
With the adapter the phone fits nicely.

For less than $10 and my time I can put my phone in the armrest and charge it while on long trips without having the cord sticking out of the lighter socket. I know I don't have a connection to the external antenna but I haven't had any problems yet with connections.

Hope this is helpful. Send me a message if you have any questions. Higher res pics are in my gallery.

Last edited by ChubbyChecker; 04-28-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-06-2008, 11:30 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 104 Likes on 83 Posts
You obviously took the tray out of the armrest. It's too bad that you cannot get a wire that connects to that connector plug at the back of the armrest (obviously the power source from the wire on the other side of it) that connects to your RAZR. That would eliminate the wiring you did and save you the $120 for the armrest sleever. But good job. I don't think anyone has done what you did. And I don't know if the RAZR even has an external antenna jack on its back. If not you could not even get a connection to the car antenna even with the expensive sleeve.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:40 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Razr V3 does have an external connector for the antenna on the back. The car's cradle doesn't it use it however; using a passive antenna to grab the signal before it's sent to the roof antenna. That round connector in the middle of the other two in the armrest is the antenna. They are fairly standard connectors, you could find a small cord to connect I bet, giving you the full benefit of that roof antenna. I'll do some research...

Does the phone rattle around in there while driving? Might want to put some sticky backed foam liner in there.

Last edited by Minidrivr; 01-06-2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:42 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
They are fairly standard connectors, you could find a small cord to connect I bet, giving you the full benefit of that roof antenna. I'll do some research...
This was my plan too- I've found external antenna cords online, but I was hoping to find one locally to get a better look at the connectors. I'll be stopping by RadioShack (You've Got Questions, We've Got Blank Stares) today to see what I can find.

I found a pinout/wiring diagram for the Razr's USB port too- it's a bit non-standard and a straight USB supplied voltage won't do it, but if you short a couple pins with the correct voltage you can force it to charge.

Once I get into the armrest with a voltmeter, I'm hoping to find a 12V or 5V in that armrest connector, and then with a voltage regulator and a cut-up cord I could get power hard-wired in too.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:14 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't checked yet but it looks like the one in the armest is a MCX connector. Looks very much the same size as the external antenna connection on my handheld gps.