Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Stealthbox -JL Audio needs an R56 owner in South Florida!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 08:26 PM
310mini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stealthbox -JL Audio needs an R56 owner in South Florida!!

JL Audio is ready to do a Stealthbox subwoofer re-design for the R56 MINIs!!

I'm an owner of an '07 MCS with a JL Audio Stealthbox subwoofer. I'm very happy with the sound quality (clean, accurate bass); however, I'm less than thrilled with the looks and fit - because it was designed for the R53 MINIs. I have it despite the fit problem because I use my remaining cargo area often and needed the sub protected. I also didn't want to pay big bucks for a custom fiberglass enclosure.

Anyway, I recently contacted JL Audio to complain about the lack of compact sub enclosure choices for R56 owners and they have been AMAZINGLY responsive! Incredible customer service! The guy I spoke with listened to my concerns and asked for photos of my install/fit problems. Surprisingly, he called me back the very next day and said they will look into it, that my concern wasn't falling on deaf ears. We exchanged a number of emails. I didn't know if I would ever hear back or not.

Well, he just contacted me again and he said their R & D Department is ready to do a re-design for the R56 MINIs!! I couldn't believe it!! thumbsup: But here's the thing... they need to borrow a MINI (2007 or 2008) for a day or two in order to take measurements.

I would gladly let them have my car but I'm all the way across the country in Los Angeles. So he asked if I could post this on the national forums. Also, I already asked about local MINI dealers near JL but he said dealers are not very cooperative with them. (Makes sense, dealers don't want to support the design of aftermarket stuff because then they make less money on factory installed options.)

So here's the info:
The car needs to go to the JL Audio factory in Miramar, FL (Broward County, I believe). They need an '07 or an '08 MINI (not a Clubman) for a day or two. The boot area will have to be partially taken apart in order to take measurements for the prototype enclosure. Then they will need the car again several months down the road to check the install of the final product. The person will get a free re-designed Stealthbox for loaning the car. Any other details would need to be worked out between the two parties.

Hopefully someone out there is interested. JL makes a high quality product and this is a great opportunity to get a better design for the 2nd gen MINIs!!

If you're interested, please let me know and I will give you the particulars as far as who to contact at JL.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:17 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are already some really nice stealth boxes where you lose no real space in the boot.

This would be great for someone who doesn't want to fork out cash for a box though!

Old 03-14-2008, 05:09 AM
geekswrath
5th Gear
I'd do it but I'm still too far away.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:07 AM
310mini
1st Gear
MotorMouth, just curious... which ones are you referring to? I'm not familiar and definitely curious...

Old 03-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Yea, what boxes OTHER than the one that takes up the floor of the boot (which doesn't work if you need to use the boot) is made for the R56?? I have yet to find anything, other than getting something custom made.

310mini,
GOOD LUCK!!! I have been back and forth with the sales and R&D guys in Floriduh since last July. I got the same, "Yeah, send me somebody with an R56 and we'll develope a box right away" response. I had 2 different NAM users, who are in FL, contact the #'s they gave me. Neither of them got a repsonse back. AND, they recently told me via email, we will NOT be making an R56 version, cause the old version fits fine.

I hope you get somewhere!!!! I'll be the first to buy one! There is a TON of room on the passenger side of the R56. Just remove the fake bulkhead, make a box to utilize all that space and volume, and you wold still have the entire boot to use for storage.....

Old 03-14-2008, 04:45 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Looks like the one from Alta is a no-go for now according to the last post.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ghlight=howard

Old 03-14-2008, 05:23 PM
310mini
1st Gear
Wow, Birdman. (Sigh.) That is not what I wanted to hear. I just don't understand it. They make great stuff but this one just does not work for the R56. I mean, sounds great but the fit is not good at all and the shape is all wrong for this car. What are they smokin'?! I even had to have my cargo light moved to the passenger side or it would have been obscured.

Sorry to hear about the runaround they gave you. Do you remember who you spoke with or who sent you that email?

At least I can take some comfort in the fact that you haven't found a better option either. I thought perhaps I was missing something out there. For the life of me I cannot understand why no one has jumped on this. There is so much demand and these cars are selling like crazy. Plus, like you said, there is so much room on the passenger side for a clean re-design. Frustrating!!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:33 PM
310mini
1st Gear
Well, someone in Florida just PM'd me. Keeping my fingers crossed...

Old 03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
Birdman
6th Gear
Pm'ed ya.

Yes, it's very suprising to me as well. They would sell a bunch of these. Package it with a T harness cable that plugs into the HiFi amp which is also in the boot, and it would take any old monky (me included!) about 10 minutes to install and GREATLY improve their sound for a few hundred bucks. All you would have to do is:

1. Remove the small amp cover on the side of the boot.
2 Unplug the plug on amp, attach to T harness, plug in the T harness back into the amp.
3. Put cover back on and route cable to sub box.
4. Plug in cable to subwoofer.
5. Screw subwoofer box in using mouinting bracket.
6. TURN STEREO ON, INSERT BOB MARLEY

MOTOR ON.

Somebody please make this, I'll buy the 1st one, followed by millions of others!!! ;-)

Old 06-18-2008, 07:19 PM
jkieffer72
1st Gear
I spoke to someone at JL Audio today at their tech help line.

From what he said there is a new stealth box coming in the next few months for the R56 Cooper. It will allegedly use their 13 inch shallow depth subwoofer (13TW5) and will have styling similar to the box they already have for the older model coopers.

I couldn't get much more information; but he said he had seen/heard the prototypes and that the molds were being made to it could go into production. He expected an announcement in the next 1-2 months.

Not sure I can wait that long... And I think I like the design from RoadsterSound better...

Old 06-18-2008, 10:41 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
I'm not holding my breath.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
TonyR
2nd Gear
I'm the lucky guy that was choosen to have his Mini used to build the stealth sub box. My Mini spent almost an entire week there while they made different boxes to see which one would sound better. I liked how they all sounded, but it is their decision on their final design. They got a mold of the boot and would told me they would be in touch. Its been a couple of months since I heard from them. Then a few days ago I got word from my contact there and I should be bringing my Mini back within a month for them to continue , hopefully with the final product. As for sub woofer size, they were going back and forth between a couple of different sizes. Not sure yet on what they will be using. They asked me not to give out too much info till everything is said and done.

Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
jkieffer72
1st Gear
Any ideas on the pricing? This could be expensive if they use the 13TW5; I think the list on that subwoofer alone is $600. . .

Still mulling over my subwoofer options. Spoke with Kevin at RoadsterSound yesterday about their product. They have a new revision coming in the next week or so. The changes are to the false floor component. They've flush mounted the grill and changed the amplifier tray ventilation to a (flush mount) grill rather than cut slat/openings. The new design looks very slick. I believe he said the price on the enclosure alone was $280 or so.

I've also talked with Alta about their enclosure for the R56. Sounds like that is coming in the next month or two as well. . .

Decisions, Descisions, Descisions. . . This little project is getting out of control; between speakers, amplifier(s) and installation I'm likely to easily go over $2k! But it's going to sound soooooooo good!

Old 06-19-2008, 10:47 AM
TonyR
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by jkieffer72
Any ideas on the pricing? This could be expensive if they use the 13TW5; I think the list on that subwoofer alone is $600. . .
Sorry, I have no idea on what the final retail price is going to be.