Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio USB HARD DRIVES and USB KEYS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2017 | 10:07 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TUDOR II
nicknbecka - agreed... I get the same results with a 16gig flash drive.
Even if it does need to index again, it's often still playing whatever was playing before the car was turned off while it does.... and it completes the indexing within 2 minutes or so.
All my music is in the root folder of the drive... not sorted.
I can say for sure that it can continue the last played song up to at least a day after the car was turned off. .
Hi,

I've got all my files in the root folder, (couple of hundred) but my MINI only plays about a dozen tracks.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-01-2017 | 10:15 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
If anyone has any other questions on this i would be glad to try an answer them.
Schatzy.
Hi Schatzy,

I have about 500 tracks in the root directory of my USB memory stick, but my MINI will only play about a dozen tracks (maybe it doesn't like the rest).

Any ideas why this would happen?

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-01-2017 | 10:30 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by paulrichardson
my MINI only plays about a dozen tracks.
What does it do exactly? Begin playing and stops? Doesn't even begin playing?

To try to isolate the issue, I would copy a nonplaying track to another, empty memory stick and see what happens when you play it. Are all your tracks in the same format (e.g. mp3)?

Old 06-01-2017 | 12:27 PM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Hi RKW,

Thanks for the response,

Originally Posted by rkw
What does it do exactly? Begin playing and stops? Doesn't even begin playing?
It plays the dozen or so tracks, perfectly, then goes back to the start and plays the same ones again, ignoring all the others.

Originally Posted by rkw
Are all your tracks in the same format (e.g. mp3)?
All tracks are MP3.

I tried it without a playlist and It played tracks from A to G. I thought a playlist might solve the problem, so added all tracks to a list and it decided to play tracks from S to Z.

Originally Posted by rkw
To try to isolate the issue, I would copy a nonplaying track to another, empty memory stick and see what happens when you play it.
I'll try your suggestion tomorrow, but my suspicion is that it doesn't like lots of tracks, I think it will play the single track.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-01-2017 | 06:52 PM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
I had that problem, was related to the number of files in the root directory. FAT32 has some kind of limit. I created a folder called 'Music' and put all my files in it. Problem solved. One thing I learned is that it will just about any kind of audio file (ie mp3, wav, etc)

Old 06-02-2017 | 12:21 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I tried it without a playlist and It played tracks from A to G. I thought a playlist might solve the problem, so added all tracks to a list and it decided to play tracks from S to Z.
It seems like it has a problem with finding files, not with ability to play them. There might something about the folder structure on your memory stick that it can't deal with. Try reformatting the memory stick (FAT32 format) to put it in a clean state and copy the mp3 files back to it again (save everything first to your computer if necessary). Or else rearrange your tracks a folder as AZdsrt suggests.

Old 06-02-2017 | 01:12 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by AZdsrt
I had that problem, was related to the number of files in the root directory. FAT32 has some kind of limit. I created a folder called 'Music' and put all my files in it. Problem solved. One thing I learned is that it will just about any kind of audio file (ie mp3, wav, etc)
Hi thanks for the suggestion, I started with the files in a separate directory (which plays fine in my camper) but it didn't work in the MINI, so I put everything in root, which also doesn't work.

I'm wondering if I might be due to the capacity of the stick, I'm using a 16GB stick.

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-02-2017 | 01:19 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
It seems like it has a problem with finding files, not with ability to play them. There might something about the folder structure on your memory stick that it can't deal with. Try reformatting the memory stick (FAT32 format) to put it in a clean state and copy the mp3 files back to it again (save everything first to your computer if necessary). Or else rearrange your tracks a folder as AZdsrt suggests.
Thanks for the advice, I'll reformat the memory stick, put a separate directory on it and copy my files back on.

I'll also try another stick, and see if that makes a difference.

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-07-2017 | 12:44 PM
bhmini
1st Gear
Did you load the USB Drive with a Mac? Even though it may be formatted FAT32, the Mac puts some invisible files on the stick that may be your problem. (These invisible files were why my '13 MCS wouldn't play any of my songs...)

If YES to the Mac part, you can toggle the invisibility bit and trash all the invisble files you find on the stick. OR....you can do a Goggle search for an app called "Clean Eject". It is a donationware app written by some Swedish (I Think) guy that does the clean up for you. If you do use "Clean Eject", be a decent fellow and sent the author a few bucks.

Old 06-08-2017 | 01:56 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by bhmini
Did you load the USB Drive with a Mac? Even though it may be formatted FAT32, the Mac puts some invisible files on the stick that may be your problem. (These invisible files were why my '13 MCS wouldn't play any of my songs...)
Thanks for your suggestion (I need all the help I can get). Unfortunately my PC is Windows 10, so invisible files are not issue in my case.

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-08-2017 | 02:05 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Hi Guys,

I've done a "full" format on the stick (not a quick format).

I created a few directories, copied my MP3's around the directories and took it back to the car.

It's still the same

It's picking different songs to play, but still only a small selection

Regards,

Paul

Old 06-08-2017 | 12:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE

I've done a "full" format on the stick (not a quick format).

I created a few directories, copied my MP3's around the directories and took it back to the car.

It's still the same

It's picking different songs to play, but still only a small selection
Check if any of your files have a file name with special or nonstandard characters. My thought is that while the stereo is building its catalog of the thumbdrive, it hits a name it can't handle and the processing stops, ending up with a partial catalog.

My intuition is that this is a firmware bug in the stereo, and you're just trying to find a workaround. I would try adding files incrementally (say 20 at a time), retest each time and you might narrow it down to particular files that trigger the problem.

Old 06-09-2017 | 04:59 AM
paulrichardson
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Check if any of your files have a file name with special or nonstandard characters. My thought is that while the stereo is building its catalog of the thumbdrive, it hits a name it can't handle and the processing stops, ending up with a partial catalog.
I've had a look on the PC (Where the files live) and there are no non-standard characters that I can see.

I did notice yesterday that the MINI display had a tick next to "List" as if it trying to play a list (there are no play-lists on the stick).

When you select "List" is says "empty list", so I wondered what that meant.

After a bit of playing around I managed to select one of my directories to play and the tick next to list has gone.

It's played quite a few songs since, so I'll keep my eye on it and report back.

It's all a bit tricky when you are working without any instructions.

Regards,

Paul