Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio iPod generations compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008 | 08:35 AM
rexicon
|
4th Gear
iPod generations compatibility?

I searched here and on MINIUSA.com to no avail and the search terms in Google bring up nothing but iPod Mini's predictably...

What generations of iPods are people having results with?

For reference my Gen 3 15gb warrior (full-size white case, 4 buttons, touch scroll wheel and dock) is a no-go currently. It will recognize it briefly but it disappears after about 30 seconds as soon as you try to scroll to a playlist. I can then get it to play as an aux input but it's controlled from the iPod not the mfsw as intended...

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised as the Gen 3 has always been the bastard-child when it comes to compatibility...

Last edited by rexicon; 05-28-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:22 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I think you're confusing the iPod generations. The 2nd gen didn't have a dock connector or do USB. Do you have a 3rd gen (4 buttons in a row) or 4th gen (no buttons, just a clickwheel)?

Edit: Oops, see your talking iPod minis, you confused me as 15gb is not a stock configuration for a mini. The iPod mini worked fine with the 05 adapter, I haven't tried it in the 07 (or 08) yet.

This could get confusing, you've got at least 3 generations of iPod adapter and multiple different iPods. I didn't think the minis did USB control, that came with the nano or video.

Last edited by Btwyx; 05-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-28-2008 | 10:32 AM
rexicon
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
I think you're confusing the iPod generations. The 2nd gen didn't have a dock connector or do USB. Do you have a 3rd gen (4 buttons in a row) or 4th gen (no buttons, just a clickwheel)?
Now that you mention it - I may well be. It's a 15gb w/dock and the 4 buttons. Here's a screen shot of it but Apple neglects to assign it a generation in its not so handy-dandy reference doc. I was inadvertently going off the software version I think.

I guess I'll edit my 1st post!

Attached Thumbnails iPod generations compatibility?-ipod.jpg  
Old 05-28-2008 | 11:12 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Here's a little document about iPod compatibility: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...oduct_Info.pdf I saw in another thread. It doesn't admit to 3rd gen compatibility.

I also just asked someone who should know (iPod's liason to the car stereo people) about the USB interface. It seems theres some smarts in the USB-Y cable, it converts from USB to the old iPod serial protocol so the radio can control the iPod (otherwise you'd need a nano or video or better to do USB control), and the audio comes in analog down the other branch of the Y.

I wouldn't be surprised if the 3rd gen had problems, the control protocol has been updated since then. The biggest problem would be that it doesn't charge from USB, so its going to be running the battery down as it plays. All the subsequent generations of iPod will charge from USB.

The first thing I'd do is reset the iPod and see if that makes a difference. (To reset hold down either the inner pair, or outer air of buttons, I'm not sure which.) You could also try plugging it in with the standard USB cable and see if the radio recogises it as a hard drive. They're not supposed to do that and you won't be able to play any protected content like that.

I'm eagerly awaiting 5pm this evening when we pick up the latest MINI, with USB attachment, I've been wondering how it'll work with which iPod. (My day job is doing iPod USB, so I have a professional interest.)

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:23 AM
rexicon
|
4th Gear
Thanks for the input. That does make sense and I guess that I'd never realized the USB won't charge my iPod but now that you mention it - one of the docks on my desk is USB and this particular iPod always acts flakey on it.

Now my decision is whether to pony up to replace a perfectly functioning ipod or just get an 8gb usb stick and wait for my iPhone later this yr?

Decisions, decisions...

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:34 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
I recommend a nice new shiney iPod.