Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Back up camera install wiring help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:44 AM
spirit
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back up camera install wiring help!

I recently purchased a GPS unit (Nextar) that also has a wireless backup camera. I can't seem to follow the instructions for the back-up camera. Would any of you be able to walk me through the wiring process? It's likely pretty simply but I really have no experience in this area (electrical wiring, etc.).

I'm trying to wire the camera to the reverse lights. The instructions said I could either use a "Scotch-Lok OR wire them directly to the reverse circuit by stripping the reverse light wires then twisting the camera wires to the exposed reverse light wires. Once connected, wrap with electrical tape." ??

Any one with a step by step instruction for the above?

The camera is a license plate mount and I'm not exactly sure I want to drill a hole in my car. Looking at one of the other threads I guess I could hook it up beside the hatch handle in place of one of the hatch lights? BUt, I'm also not sure I want to lose one of my lights. If I did decide to drill a small hole should I put some paint or something in the hole to prevent rust? Also, I think I'd need some sort of rubber insert to protect the wire from the sharp metal? Thoughts??

Thanks in adavance

Old 09-21-2008, 01:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by spirit
I'm trying to wire the camera to the reverse lights. The instructions said I could either use a "Scotch-Lok OR wire them directly to the reverse circuit by stripping the reverse light wires then twisting the camera wires to the exposed reverse light wires. Once connected, wrap with electrical tape." ??
You need to connect their wire to the car's reverse light wire. The brute force way is what they described, which is scrape some insulation off a section of the reverse light wire to expose the metal, then make the connection by wrapping the camera wire around the exposed wire and cover with electrical tape for protection. A more convenient way to make the connection is to use what they call Scotch-Lok but is more commonly known as a "quick splice connector". These can be found in hardware, electronics, and auto parts stores. You insert the existing wire into a slot in the quick splice connector, insert the additional wire you want to connect, then squeeze (with pliers) a metal piece into the wires. Here's an example of one: http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...goryCode=3067E

Originally Posted by spirit
The camera is a license plate mount and I'm not exactly sure I want to drill a hole in my car. Looking at one of the other threads I guess I could hook it up beside the hatch handle in place of one of the hatch lights? BUt, I'm also not sure I want to lose one of my lights. If I did decide to drill a small hole should I put some paint or something in the hole to prevent rust? Also, I think I'd need some sort of rubber insert to protect the wire from the sharp metal?
The rear handle assembly (includes the handle, hatch switch and license lights) is easily removed (4 Torx head screws). I would first check if the camera wire is small enough to simply go around the edge if you screw the handle back on. Seal any gaps with silicone sealant.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
Scraping the wire is more prone to causing breakage, and unless you solder will eventually oxidize and loose connection. A quick splice like rkw mentions is more reliable if done properly. Most important is do not use these in a location subject to water. Electrical tape detoriates into a sappy mess after a short time. I only use heat shrink tubing on my cars.

function popGlossary() { var window1 = window.open ("Glossary.html", "window1", "height=500,width=400,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,me nubar=no,location=no,directories=no,resizeable=yes "); window1.focus(); } function popAvail(MfrCode, PartNum, MfrName, Description, Price) { var window2 = window.open ("StoreAvailability.aspx?mfrcode=" + escape(MfrCode) + "&mfrpartnumber=" + escape(PartNum) , "window2", "height=500,width=621,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,me nubar=no,location=no,directories=no,resizeable=yes "); window2.focus(); } function popGuide(MfrCode, PartNum) { var window3 = window.open ("ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=" + escape(MfrCode) + "&mfrpartnumber=" + escape(PartNum) , "window3", "height=500,width=583,scrollbars=yes,toolbar=no,me nubar=no,location=no,directories=no,resizeable=yes "); window3.focus(); } Dorman Quick Splice Terminals: Conduct-Tite!(R); Solderless; Blue; 18-14 Gauge; 7 Per PackPart Number: 85464[SIZE=1](click image for full-size view)[/SIZE]PricingOur Price:$2.99 Availability

Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM
spirit
2nd Gear
Thanks! I just picked up a few Scotch-Lok's at a local hardware store. I also found a way to mount the camera without having to make any new holes or remove any of the exhisting plate lights.

Back up camera install wiring help!-dcp_1002.jpg

As you can see from the above pic I removed 1 of 4 screws holding the hatch handle assembly. I was able to route the camera cable through that hole. In order to make it clean around the license plate I had to drill a hole through the license plate and license plate backing. Then I simply tucked any excess cable under the license plate. I was happy that I did not have to make any modification to the car and that the hatch handle assemble was well secure with 3 of 4 screws remaining. However, I may just use some silicon if I find that the handle assembly is not 100% flush (Thanks for the tip!)

Now I need to figure out which wires to connect the camera to. I can't seem to figure out which set of wires to use. I can see a brown wire which I read was supposed to be a ground wire for the reverse lights. However, right next to it was a blue/yellow wire. I read that it should be blue/grey so I'm a little confused.

Any ideas on how I could figure out which wires to hook up to?

Thanks again!

Old 09-21-2008, 02:19 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
You made some quick progress! The reverse light is in fact blue/yellow, and ground is brown.

Old 09-21-2008, 05:49 PM
spirit
2nd Gear
Perfect Thanks!

Wiring is done and everthing works just fine. I used the brown wire for the ground and the blue / yellow wire for the camera / positive. I had a little trouble with the connector / Scotch-Lok since the wires from the camera are 1/2 the size of the wires from the car. If you've used a Scotch-Lok before you'll know that if one wire is too small it will not cut into it. I had to manually cut / scrape some of the tube away from the smaller wires in order to make it work. Luckily that did the trick!

I ended up routing the wire down the inside of the hatch panel and then down the weather striping (see pic)

Back up camera install wiring help!-dcp_1006.jpg

Then I had to wrap it around the inside panel where the reverse light car wires are located

Back up camera install wiring help!-dcp_1008.jpg

Temporarly I've mounted the GPS suction cup onto the speedo. I'm not sure I want to mount the ring on the dash? After reading a few threads I'm concerned over theft / vandalism.

Back up camera install wiring help!-dcp_1009.jpg

Thanks for all your help / suggestions