Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Aftermarket Audio Setup with Steering Wheel Controls

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2002, 10:59 AM
MisterMiniMe
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen up Mini Dudes...I've been doing a ton of research on this topic and have found answers to may questions concerning the Audio Controls on your MFSW.

If you want to upgrade your head unit, speakers, etc and still want to keep those nice audio controls functional, there IS a Way!!!

PAC makes an after market module called SWIX. Here is what they state:

"The SWI-X allows the customer to retain the use of their steering wheel, rear seat radio controls or their steering wheel AC controls when replacing the factory head unit. The SWI-X will interface almost all infrared head units with almost all vehicles with steering wheel or rear seat controls. Works with virtually all aftermarket radios with wireless infrared remote capability. The SWI-X can help with some steering wheel heater controls including GM's. ".

Their website is http://www.go2pac.com

In addition, to retaining audio controls on the wheel, I've tried to find a MP3 storage unit instead of a CD Changer. Kenwood Excelon makes a great unit called the Music Keg. It will store 20 Gigs of music. They state you can drive 7500 miles without hearing the same tune! The Keg uses a cradle like a Palm Pilot. You download all your music files on the cartridge and then place it in the keg! The best part about it is there is NO skipping like you'll find with a changer. It's the same size as an AMP. Works with Kenwood Head Units.

Here's my setup:
Kenwood X959 head Unit ebay $400
Kenwood Music Keg ebay $500 http://www.kenwoodusa.com/excelon/excelonKeg.jsp
RF FNQ3514 Components ebay $270
RF FRC3269 6X9 Crutchfield $130
NO SUB:evil:

I'll have my entire music library in my S and I'll still be able to use my Steering Wheel Audio Controls!

Dark Silver S with White Roof, Premium, Sport & Cold Weather Pkgs. Black Panther Leather...It's headed my way and should be here within 3 days.

Old 09-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
I purchased a SWI-X myself, but haven't got it installed yet...haven't got the MINI yet!! Ha. Car arrives in 2 days and then the stereo install fun begins. New headunit, front components, rear 6x9s and a 10" sub in fiberglass enclosure, 3 amps. Will be doing the amp and sub install next week, followed by the stereo install the following week. PLEASE keep me/us updated if you install your SWI-X before me. I have my technical guru friend helping me with the install (and his best friend, a custom stereo install shop owner). I'll be taking LOTS of install pictures and creating a "how to" article for the site. But if you do this first, and/or take pictures...let us know how it went!

R

Old 09-18-2002, 06:47 AM
amagnetta
1st Gear
Thanks for sharing your research...
I have a Sony head & 10-CD Changer from my last car I have been wanting to install.
My problem is, I can't do it myself and don't have anyone I trust to help!

Went to Sound Advice, they said to say Goodbye to my Steering Wheel controls, but I have grown to love them!
It is so nice to turn the volume up and down as the spirit moves you, with little effort!

Old 09-18-2002, 10:05 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Has ANYONE successfully installed the SWI-X in their MINI? I have not heard a success story yet... just that it should work. Again, THANKS for sharing!

Here's a link to a recent thread on MINI2. There are pictures and everything! Sounds VERY easy to install. But again, I will be doing this and taking pictures this weekend (Sept 21-22, 2002) so stay tuned.

MINI2 SWI-X Thread

R

Old 09-18-2002, 10:14 AM
jimcdenver
Neutral
Yes, it works just great. I am sure all you DIYs can make it work, but I had my installer put it in. I prefer to have a pro do this kind of work. He said it was pretty strightforward, but there were a few gotchas which he had to talk directly to PAC while working on it.

By the way, it was worth every penny in my opinion, including the professional install. When I got the car with the in-wheel controls, I really thought it was a gimmick that I wouldn't ever use. Boy was I wrong! It is a really great idea and I am very pleased that I didn't have to give it up when I upgraded my sound system.

Old 11-09-2003, 08:00 AM
Skoobeedu
Banned
I am thinking of installing a aftermarket nav system -- pionner NAV-SYS910DVD. Does the SWIX work for keeping the controls as well?? Anyone know?

Old 11-09-2003, 05:39 PM
scooterboy
6th Gear
The SWI-X works with any device that has an infra-red remote control. It can learn the buttons on the remote and then send them via the MFSW, just as if you used the real remote.

Old 11-10-2003, 06:00 AM
Skoobeedu
Banned
that is fantastic. I will check it out then. Thank you for the info. Can anyone recommend any Nav systems. I am looking at pioneer.... I hear that is the best on the market...

Old 11-18-2003, 09:27 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
We put the SWIX in my car last year for the CES show and it works flawlessly. The first unit didn't but the " X " model does.Page Title maxmini web site