Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Basic sound system question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 07:03 AM
Mr_Bueno
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Basic sound system question...

I think we all know what it's like to go to the website and build your MINI...

You start out trying to be reasonable, and you end up with a car that only Oprah can afford.

My wife absolutely HATES the MINI and I had to fight my her just to get this car. So, I had to cut some corners to keep the price reasonable and keep me out of the doghouse.

After going through the forums, I read about pros and cons and elected to go with the basic sound system... No HD radio.... No Satellite radio... Ni Ipod, no bluetooth, ... just the 6 speaker basic system and AUX outlet. I have a basic 6 speaker system in my Honda now and it sounds really great. I test drove the MCS with the basic sound sytem, but let's be honest... when you get to test drive a MINI, you kinda forget about the sound sytem.

I hear alot about the cheap paper cone speakers and wondered if it's easy to just switch them out. My concern is keeping it looking factory. I know some people love modding their cars and upgrading sytems, etc... but that's just not for me. I don't want them to do any cuttting, drilling, re-wiring, splicing, etc... If this is done, I just want them to pop off the cover, unscrew the basic speaker, screw in the new, higher quality one, and pop the cover back on...

Is this possible? I tried to go through other threads, but it seems like most people who are changing speakers are doing all types upgrades with amps, woofers, subwoofers, tweeters, wiring harnesses, installing systems in the glove compartment, ripping up the flooring, etc...

I've switched out a speaker in my Honda that I blew out, but I replaced it with.... you guessed it... a stock OEM honda speaker.

Any ideas? The only thing I really abuse on my car is the stereo because I play it LOUD. I'm starting to wonder if should've ditched the rear foglamps and bonnet stripes and gotten the 10 speaker system now. Are there any particular brand speakers that are more compatible with the MINI system than others?

Also, does the AUX/MP3 outlet have a good sound quality? I have a Honda Element with the same type of outlet and it sounds fantastic...on my older Accord, I have to go through the cassette deck which sounds pretty lousy or through a radio/converter which is just putrid.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm just oatmeal north of the eyebrows on this kinda thing...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:22 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well IMHO you did the right thing NOT getting the upgraded stereo. For the $500 i spent on the upgrade i could have purchased something 10,000 times better. My mistake for believing that the upgrade would be better.

If you read thru the beginning of the sticky post "R56 Speaker Replacement How To" that will give you all the info you need for the actual work that needs to be done. As for speakers to replace the OEM with that is your choice and depends on the amount you want to spend. Infinities can be found for a very good price on line and then if you want to spend more you could go with Focals or somehting even better.

After the speakers have been purchased it should only take a sunny afternoon to do the replacements if you follow the directions in the thread listed above.

Then when you want it is easy to add an amp or sub woofer later on.

Adding amps and subwoofers with the upgaded system is alot harder as the amp must remain inplace and connected to the cars computer system.

Good luck and i am sure the MINI will grow on your wife.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:51 AM
Derepente
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Mr Bueno,
"No os preocupeis!" Don't worry. I have been waiting to do this upgrade as well. Very quickly, you'll notice an improvement in sound quality with a decent door speaker upgrade. It's the rears that can be a PITA to change out. Most have commented that the best audio upgrade is to get the A pillars changed as well so that you add tweeters there and improve your sound stage. The thread mentioned does give you good info. Let us know how you do. I am looking to do a similar upgrade. I also drove my wife crazy with this order, she likes the MINI R57 we ordered, but she is tired of hearing about it. So I can empathize a little with your situation. Truly, as far as speakers go, you want ones that can handle more than what the system can put out. That way you never hear "bad sound" from your stereo. Also, consider a bass upgrade in some way as the basic sound system we got won't produce low frequencies very well. If you listened to a HIFI setup on a MINI, then know that you can get even BETTER sound with the upgrades recommended in the thread above. Also consider reading www.MINI2.com for suggestions on this topic and others. I view that forum as well for great ideas on making my-soon-to-be MINI the perfect Mid-life-crisis-toy !

Old 04-01-2009, 09:59 AM
euells
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr_Bueno
I think we all know what it's like to go to the website and build your MINI...

You start out trying to be reasonable, and you end up with a car that only Oprah can afford.

My wife absolutely HATES the MINI and I had to fight my her just to get this car. So, I had to cut some corners to keep the price reasonable and keep me out of the doghouse.

After going through the forums, I read about pros and cons and elected to go with the basic sound system... No HD radio.... No Satellite radio... Ni Ipod, no bluetooth, ... just the 6 speaker basic system and AUX outlet. I have a basic 6 speaker system in my Honda now and it sounds really great. I test drove the MCS with the basic sound sytem, but let's be honest... when you get to test drive a MINI, you kinda forget about the sound sytem.

I hear alot about the cheap paper cone speakers and wondered if it's easy to just switch them out. My concern is keeping it looking factory. I know some people love modding their cars and upgrading sytems, etc... but that's just not for me. I don't want them to do any cuttting, drilling, re-wiring, splicing, etc... If this is done, I just want them to pop off the cover, unscrew the basic speaker, screw in the new, higher quality one, and pop the cover back on...

Is this possible? I tried to go through other threads, but it seems like most people who are changing speakers are doing all types upgrades with amps, woofers, subwoofers, tweeters, wiring harnesses, installing systems in the glove compartment, ripping up the flooring, etc...

I've switched out a speaker in my Honda that I blew out, but I replaced it with.... you guessed it... a stock OEM honda speaker.

Any ideas? The only thing I really abuse on my car is the stereo because I play it LOUD. I'm starting to wonder if should've ditched the rear foglamps and bonnet stripes and gotten the 10 speaker system now. Are there any particular brand speakers that are more compatible with the MINI system than others?

Also, does the AUX/MP3 outlet have a good sound quality? I have a Honda Element with the same type of outlet and it sounds fantastic...on my older Accord, I have to go through the cassette deck which sounds pretty lousy or through a radio/converter which is just putrid.

Sorry for so many questions, but I'm just oatmeal north of the eyebrows on this kinda thing...
I did my upgrades in steps - from least to most complex. Each brings a level of improvement, and at each step you can decide if your sound is where you need it to be.

For me - it went like this :

1) Replace Front lowers : Easy! Huge improvement!
2) Replace Front Uppers : Easy except for the Mirror Switch, which can be a PITA but is easily overcome. Minimal improvement. you can also combine 1 and 2 since the door panerls have to come off for each.
3) Swap speaker wires and detailed in this thread. This will inevitably lead to step 5
4) Add sub : reasonably easy (involves tapping wires) - Huge Improvement
5) Replace rears : Not as much of a PITA as you would believe - excellent resources here and here. This is also the time to consider Dynamat or equivilient installation. Huge Improvement.

I got a lot of advice and encouragement for fellow NAM members - which proved to be invaluable. My sound is sweet, and now I'm focusing on other projects.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Flyinace2000
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Great thread. I am ordering a new Mini to replace mine, and this time i skipped the HiFi sound thinking that for $500 i could do better myself. I was right. Thanks!

-Will

Old 04-11-2009, 09:10 AM
euells
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Flyinace2000
Great thread. I am ordering a new Mini to replace mine, and this time i skipped the HiFi sound thinking that for $500 i could do better myself. I was right. Thanks!

-Will
You made the right choice!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:42 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The front speakers are pretty easy. Be sure to choose speakers that are 4 ohm and very efficient. The stock system doesn't put out a lot of power.

The rear speakers require removing every side panel and pillar cover from the door back. When you get into that, it can progress into other things...

Adding a subwoofer can also make a big difference because MINI (for some strange reason) has set it up so no bass goes to the rear 6x9" speakers. Only the front lower speakers get bass. They probably had buzzing problems with the plastic panels in back. Check out the threads on the Boss Bass600. It is inexpensive (about $130 at Amazon) and pretty easy to install.