Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio I can hear iPod spooling the next song?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 08:17 PM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can hear iPod spooling the next song?!?

Just got back from a 2000+ mile trip in Waldo, and a new anomaly has appeared: there's a "scritchy" high pitched sound (but relatively low volume) that comes from the stereo as the iPod loads the next song. My understanding of how an iPod works (this is the Classic with a hard drive), is that, to manage battery power, it'll spool up the HDD and load the next song or two into memory so as not to constanty be reading from the HDD.) And now I can hear when that happens!?! I know that's what it is as anytime I advance two or three songs forward, I can hear it spool up, but if you go back to the beginning of the song that is playing, you hear nothing.

Now why is that all of a sudden audible through the stereo? I hope it's not another "fix" to the software in the car that was done for the window dipper that recently messed up my Blackberry Storm phonebook!

Anyone else ever notic this?

Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I hear a high pitched whine sometimes when the iPod was playing. I never found an exact cause or set of circumstances that would relate to it.

I will have to go back and check to see if that is the exact set of circumstances that caused the high pitched whine.

Unfortunately i may not be able to recreate the senario as i also now have much more in the way of electronics in the car as you can see in this thread.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-upgrades.html

Old 06-18-2009, 08:19 AM
Btwyx
6th Gear
For strange noises like that, I'd check that all the connections are tight. I've had weird noisy issues with plugs which are not well seated.

Old 06-18-2009, 09:40 AM
blackjackmark
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Btwyx
For strange noises like that, I'd check that all the connections are tight. I've had weird noisy issues with plugs which are not well seated.
Thanks for the idea! That was one of my first thoughts as well, but didn't fix it.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Btwyx
In my case it was definitely not a cable problem, as it would happen some time during the same listening session and i checked all of that.

It normally would only happen at rather high volumes and if i turned down the volume sometimes (not always) it would go away, and it did not happen with the radio, CD, or USB Stick. So it was definitely something with the iPod.

And as my iPod would not hold all the music i have i just upgraded to 1 Tera byte of disk space in the car. That holds all my music plus.