Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My MINI's a Demo MINI for Integral Audio

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 07:11 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My MINI's a Demo MINI for Integral Audio

I thought some of you may be interested in this...

So I see a short and sweet post from Integral Audio (formerly RoadsterSound) on a Metro NYC board calling for demo vehicles for a re-designed version of their subwoofer enclosure built specifically for the MINI. I like my MINI Hi Fi system, but it clearly lacks bass so I respond to the post half expecting to find any number of road blocks in the way. Within 2 e-mails, I'm corresponding with Kevin Bennett, the President of Integral Audio. The concept of being a Demo MINI is simple - give up your MINI so it can be used to design and build the enclosure and motor away with great sound. But there's two things I had to feel comfortable with. One, trusting a complete stranger to take apart and put together the relevant parts and two, actually leaving my MINI in this strangers hands - overnight.

First, it would be impossible to overstate Kevin's thoroughness and honesty as he answered each and every question I had. It was also clear that he was interested in making this experience a good one for me. Instead of half answering some of my questions and maybe moving on to someone more low maintenance, he really took the time to not only give tremendous detail, but went out of his way to make the scheduling of this as convenient for me as possible.

And that's where I am now - I'm scheduled to be "measured" on May 10 (a one day thing) and then 2 weeks later after the enclosure is designed and built I go back for a one day, possibly two day install. I also have full use of a loaner while they do what they do.

The other reason for Integral Audio to go through this process is to video and photograph the install since this is a company that builds enclosures and sells them via their website. So if everything goes well (with me) and you decide to get an enclosure for your R56 from Integral Audio, the MINI in your video will be mine!

Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey, I read this on another forum somewhere! OH Hi Albiecrazy.

Congrats, Kevin is a great person to work with on something like this.

I want to hear it when it is done. Prpbably wont be done for MNI to the Point though will it?

Old 05-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Sorry for the flashbacks, schatzy! Can you tell how excited I am? No, unfortunately it won't be ready for my run, but no biggie there - you can never really listen to any music when 2-ways are involved!

I accidentally replied to a "speaker" post over on the Gen 1 forum related to this install, so I thought I'd add it over here where it makes more sense.

Here it is: how do I make my other 10 speakers sound better (probably add an amp, run them off of the new amp - I'm just not sure)? I have really no knowledge about setting up car stereos, which is another reason why this project with Kevin made a lot of sense to me. Since my MINI will be dismantled, I figure this would be the time to address the front speakers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Old 05-07-2010, 08:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
With the HiFi system it makes it a little more difficult o upgrade. But you can change the speakers. There are lots of threads on the subject of stereo upgrades here to read thru, probably take you 40 hours plus to read them all.

Bang for the buck is to replace the front door speaker and rear speakers first then decide if you need better sound than that. If so then a multi channel amp is needed and running new wire to the speakers. Unfortunately the HiFi amp must stay in the car as the MINI diagnostic machines know it is supposed to be there and will not do software updates to the car if it is disconnected.

Here is a link to some work I have done on my car with pictures and notes about some of what needed to be done. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-upgrades.html

I would say let Kevin do his work and then work on the doors as he probably will not really take the interior apart to much. He will need to take some interior panels off to run some wires but not the door panels.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Man, schatzy! Seeing the inside of your MINI with the guts hanging out is frightening to me! I hope I get a chance to see all that in person eventually.

I wonder if dropping in QUALITY speakers in the doors and in the rear once the sub is in would give me some good sound (until I can get a separate amp to power the doors only and use the current MINI amp to power only the rears). Does that sound like a ridiculous, temporary solution?

Anyway, my MINI sits in a city scape tonight - gets measured and possibly a "base frequency response test" is I think what Kevin called it. Still very impressed with Kevin. The kind of guy that is a pleasure to do business with!

Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
With the HiFi system it makes it a little more difficult to upgrade. But you can change the speakers.

Bang for the buck is to replace the front door speaker and rear speakers first then decide if you need better sound than that. If so then a multi channel amp is needed and running new wire to the speakers.

Unfortunately the HiFi amp must stay in the car as the MINI diagnostic machines know it is supposed to be there and will not do software updates to the car if it is disconnected.
Kevin and I got to discuss this on Tuesday. Turns out that he has bigger plans for my MINI than I knew (if I want to make the plans bigger). It can be a full upgrade once the sub is in. His test of the system showed some serious flaws which can be solved with a full speaker upgrade and an additional amp. It sounds promising, as long as I can schedule it.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Congrats Albie, that's too cool. I was going to make a comment that you need to talk to Kevin and see if he wants to upgrade the rest of the your system.

Obviously, you've taken care of that...lol.

Can't wait to see it, make sure you make some vids.

Congrats again....

Mark

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Thanks, Mark. This is pretty perfect timing for me. I'll have the sub soon and then maybe during July we can schedule the rest of the install. All in all, it's interesting to see the time that goes into the development of this stuff. As much as Kevin is re-designing this enclosure for the MINI, I think he's further along with a similar line of enclosures for Porsche. Needless to say, he's a busy man and I don't wait more than a 1/2 day for an e-mail response to any of my dumb questions!

Old 06-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Phase 1 complete! The sound is simply unbelievable. The pics below are, to me, one of the best aspects of the design of this enclosure. It's clean and unnoticeable.

Notice how when the back seat is folded down, it's level with the new false floor.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Here's what's under that false floor! A shallow mount 10" subwoofer custom made for Integral Audio by SB Acoustics.

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 06-07-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
DUDE!!!! I am SO jealous. I love my mini but the stereo is definitely one of the weak spots.

Is the guy doing your setup taking measurements? Does he plan on producing anymore?

Next week I'm installing my new JCW seats and rollbar. Once the rollbar is in and I know where we're welding it to the floor, I'll know what room I'll have to mount a sub like that.

I LOVE the SUPER CLEAN look and when you lift the lid up, the "brackets" look so professional.

FANTASTIC... keep us informed.

What's phase 2?

Mark

Old 06-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
The guy that did the install is Kevin Bennett - he is Integral Audio (formerly Roadstersound) and he used my MINI to take measurements and have this particular enclosure manufactured. This is really a re-design of an already produced Integral Audio enclosure. He had 2 reasons to re-design it - one, he had to alter it to make it slimmer and lighter. The previous version was over 20 pounds without the driver. Now it's 20 pounds with the driver and it solved some manufactuing issues for him at the same time. And two, he re-designed the false floor to completely hide the grille for the sub-woofer for stealth. I like that alot! And actually, there is third reason - he needed to photograph the entire install in order to have pictures for the instructions that come with the enclosure when you order it online.

Phase 2 is a complete upgrade of the speakers up front. The Hi Fi system comes with very low-grade HK speakers. He is in the research/negotiation stage with a couple of speaker manufacturers. I listened to the speakers that he's very close to using for the upgrade when I picked up the Kid on Thursday night - they're tight! I think he said it was a Swedish made speaker, but don't quote me. The install of the speakers up front will happen at the end of the summer.

All in all this has been a pretty cool experience. Kevin is meticulous and I've been able to see just how much goes into the production end of something like this. The amount of adjustments and changes that Kevin has made already is enough to make you think, "How do you make money doing this?" The weeks of work just to get to the production stage is staggering to me.

I'm trying to solve the boot organizer - it obviously can't be used as MINI intended with the false floor in the way. This is my plan for now (obviously gonna get some hard ware to secure it like in the pic) Any thoughts?

Last edited by Albiecrazy; 06-07-2010 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:53 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
I should also point out that my entire system sounds PHENOMENAL right now, even without the speaker upgrade that's coming later. I could swear that Kevin tweaked something to make the fronts sound better and I've e-mailed him to find out for sure. But if this is where the project ended - I'M STOKED for the change!

To give you a sense of how Kevin set it up, and how much bass I'm really hearing, take a look at the pic below. I really have it faded way more to the fronts and you can see where I have the bass set. It thumps as is!!

Old 06-05-2010, 04:14 AM
orangecrush
6th Gear
I'm uber happy for you, that's so cool. Sounds like he's meticulous as hell. I'm going through the same thing. I sent my H2 to CA from NC to do a Duramax Diesel swap. The guy has done about 30 of these but never on an H2. He's cutting me a super deal but I'm guess I'm his guinea pig. He's been sending me pics and seems as **** as I am. The unfortunate part is it was suppose to take 2-3 weeks, it's been 4 months. (but, it's on it's last week... hopefully) So I can appreciate the work that Kevin's doing.

For the organizer, why can't you use the same style "hooks" (it's more like a **** with a screw it in) that the other manufacturer's use. (I would change netting too)

Before you get too far into it, allow me to check out some cars. (I knew being in the bodyshop business would pay off one day....lol) At any given time, I'll have 20-25 cars in the shop, I'll check out each one's netting system and see if I can find something similiar that you can use.

(plus we get cars that total so I could steal the netting and hooks out of them too if I could find one that works)

OR

You could go to Lowe's and buy the half square drawer handles (which look just like what you hook your netting to now) Put the screws in from the back (you'd have to get longer ones) and all you'd have sticking up would be the little square hooks,

Well glad you like it, it looks awesome, keep us up to date.

I've got to go update my mod wish list now....

Mark

Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by orangecrush
Before you get too far into it, allow me to check out some cars. (I knew being in the bodyshop business would pay off one day....lol) At any given time, I'll have 20-25 cars in the shop, I'll check out each one's netting system and see if I can find something similiar that you can use.

(plus we get cars that total so I could steal the netting and hooks out of them too if I could find one that works)

OR

You could go to Lowe's and buy the half square drawer handles (which look just like what you hook your netting to now) Put the screws in from the back (you'd have to get longer ones) and all you'd have sticking up would be the little square hooks,

Well glad you like it, it looks awesome, keep us up to date.

I've got to go update my mod wish list now....

Mark
That would be awesome, Mark! Thanks! And it's funny you mentioned those drawer handles at Lowes - that is exactly what I was going to look into. Something low profile that would actually through bolt since there is room between the false floor and the enclosure.

Old 06-07-2010, 01:44 PM
moltenhalo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Congrats on the new setup Albiecrazy!

Old 06-07-2010, 07:32 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Thanks, moltenhalo! It's nice to finally motor with a system that fills the inside of that MINI!!!!

I don't know what everyone thinks about this solution for the boot organizer - it definitely works for me, but I want to forward along suggestions to Kevin if anyone has one. I'm working on the netting for the floor, but because the side organizer has to go so near the center to keep taught, the existing netting would have to run underneath it to the right and all the way to the left side of the boot if it's going to stay tight.

If only MINI could make a special set of mesh netting that was shorter...

Old 06-08-2010, 03:00 AM
miniSQ
4th Gear
What amplifier did he use? Any pics of that?

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 AM
angmarceau
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I tried to get one of these for my car - but Kevin advised they don't make them yet for the R57 Convertible I was so bummed!!

Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Temporarily, a 250 watt Rockford Fosgate is in the compartment on the right hand side of the boot. The final plan for the amp that will be available and it's exact placement is still in the works.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:27 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by angmarceau
I tried to get one of these for my car - but Kevin advised they don't make them yet for the R57 Convertible I was so bummed!!
I believe Kevin said he is working the R56 & R57 version simultaneously. If I recall, everything is the same except for the shape of the false floor. I do believe both will available for an August release.

Old 07-17-2010, 09:29 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Any updates??

Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Nothing new yet, Mark. Other than I'm slotted for a front speaker upgrade with no amplification. Kevin's working on a number of other MINIs at the moment so I'm just waiting for a date.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:31 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Albiecrazy
Nothing new yet, Mark. Other than I'm slotted for a front speaker upgrade with no amplification. Kevin's working on a number of other MINIs at the moment so I'm just waiting for a date.
Thanks bud, was just wondering...

Keep us informed.

Mark

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM
Albiecrazy
6th Gear
Well, nothing yet on my fronts. I do believe Kevin is working out a couple other demos at the moment.

But, I did pack the MINI today for a camping trip I have planned with my 5 year old son. And I don't think the sub and false floor held me up at all.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio My MINI's a Demo MINI for Integral Audio