Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Any help with a JL Cleansweep issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 10:59 AM
jso123
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any help with a JL Cleansweep issue?

I just installed the JL CL441dsp in an 05 MCS , keeping the oem basic (non HK ) head unit. Also added an amp and new speakers, but think them unrelated to my problem

Mostly it works fine, but at random times, just shuts off ( all lights off). It will typically turn it self back on after 5 minutes. The last time it happened, I was looking for a loose connection and for no reason turned the signal sense switch to OFF. It immediately came back on. However, it would not play the radio, just the MP3.

I called the JL tech area and he said just check the fuse. (which I haven't done yet) I suspect thats, not the problem. This ever happen to anyone else?

Thanks

Old 06-10-2010, 01:22 PM
Street beat
Neutral
Signal Sensing

Hey ya I have encountered this problem before. You said that you turned the signal sensing off and then the unit came back on does that mean you are using the signal sensing instead of hooking up a remote? When this happened to me I had to run an ignition wire to the remote turn on and turn the signal sensing to off.

Jamin Proud

Last edited by Motor On; 06-10-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:37 PM
jso123
2nd Gear
I have the "signal Sense" switched to on. And most of the time it works fine. I've heard that when the signal sense is switched "on", it will turn the unit on when it senses input from the front left channel. I haven't pulled it all out yet to check all the connections. However, I soddered all those connection - but who knows. That would at least be a simple fix.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hooking up a remote".

Old 06-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Street beat
Neutral
Ummm

Well in the tech manual it says that with signal sensing on that the clean sweep will turn on when there is twelve volts present on the ignition wire as well as signal on the RCA's.

With signal sensing off it uses just the ignition wire to turn on.

With my problem the signal sensing circuit wasn't working so I didn't have that option.

My suggestion would be to use a multimeter to measure the voltage at the plug of the clean sweep as the unit is having the problem. If all your powers and grounds check out then you might be having the same problem. As for the Clean Sweep only playing the mp3 not the radio I am assuming you are talking about the two sources the Clean Sweep has if so you can also measure the voltage on these to make sure there is acurate signal with the multimeter set to AC voltage put your ground from the meter on the shield of the RCA and your positive wire from the meter on the tip of the RCA. From there you should be able to turn the source up and down to see the voltage on the meter change. If this isn't happening or the meter reads zero there is a problem with the source or RCA's.

Jamin Proud

Last edited by Motor On; 06-10-2010 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM
jso123
2nd Gear
Thanks for the good info. I've separated & reconnected the input clip ( of wires from the h/u) and that may have fixed it. At least that would explain why it would at times play the Ipod, but not the cd/radio.

Now I've got a new problem ( NO SHORTAGE!! ) There is now a lot of static & bit of whining on the radio when the engine is running. I've recently added an Alpine PDX100.4 and an older Kenwood sub amp. I don't believe the noise / static was noticable until I connected the sub amp.

Incidentally, I've made sure all the grounds are solid (#4 wire) and tight. This probably means something new to buy. This install has become a full time project! ; (

Thanks for any tips!