Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio I just want a simple XM radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just want a simple XM radio

Of course I am a Nube but all I really want is a simple XM radio for my new 07 Miini S. Would it work if I just go to Wally world and buy a XM radio kit and plug it into the auxiliary plug, wire the power to a ignition switch controled power point(??) and then figure a way to plug into the built in Antenna cable (I think) below one of the seats.? I am almost 70yrs old and don't care for the exotic radio and speakers that I can't hear real well anyway but I do like XM. I am really asking for help here as I am not sure of the moves.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Yes, yes and yes! Many people have reported that XM radios work well with the factory installed antenna.

And if you want easy power you can use the Cig lighter plug (as that is switched with the ignition).

Old 06-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
Thank you so much. I know that many have great knowledge of how to really do one of these things up so you can't tell that it isn't a factory install. I just want simple.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:12 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you already have xm or Sirius? I ask because I have XM in my truck and for 2.99 a month, I can get a premium extra service for another vehicle.

I use my iPhone and plug it into my redio....

Just a thought.

Mark

Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Troy: I've installed this XM radio in the cubby hole in front of the gearshift:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...gt-rvk101.html

This radio has a reasonable cost, fits great in the cubby and has amber/orange lighting that matches the MINI lighting pretty close. It is a basic radio but works great. I used the built in antenna on the roof by connecting into the cable under the passenger seat. There are threads here on NAM which tell you where to get the cable and how to connect into the factory antenna. A short cable between the "Aux port" and the XM audio out port will connect you into the radio. Quite a simple install really.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:04 AM
Dede
2nd Gear
I installed an XM Radio in my wife's 06 convertible - the hardest part of the install was inserting the satellite antenna inside the convertible's radio antenna - I was going for a very clean install

Your install should be much easier if you don't need to add an antenna. Why would you want to use the aux-in ? Adding a few component would allow sterring wheel control of the radio, plus programming inforamtion directly on your radio.

I can also tell you that the antenna under the seat won't work well.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Dede

I can also tell you that the antenna under the seat won't work well.
Hundreds if not thousands of people have used the MINI Built-in SAT antenna connection (under the passenger seat) all with very very very good results.

And many have reported better reception that with the puck style that comes with the aftermarket units.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:10 PM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
OK, at this time I have ordered an XM unit from http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...gt-rvk101.html
and am going to pair it up with the subscription that Orangcrush has and now I am looking for the antenna extension for the built in antenna under the seat. What a great bunch. You have me fixed up completly where radio is concerned and since I wanted a pretty basic se tup, that is also clear. Thank You so much.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 PM
orangecrush
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Troy Curtis
OK, at this time I have ordered an XM unit from http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...gt-rvk101.html
and am going to pair it up with the subscription that Orangcrush has and now I am looking for the antenna extension for the built in antenna under the seat. What a great bunch. You have me fixed up completly where radio is concerned and since I wanted a pretty basic se tup, that is also clear. Thank You so much.

Tony, Tony...whoa bud... What I said is I DID THAT, I was suggesting that if you have XM already on a vehicle, then you can do the same.

I'm extremely sorry if it came out any other way. I've already used my 2.99 premium service "add-on".

I'm so sorry, I was trying to tell you what I did so you can do the same.

My apologies if it came out any other way.

Mark

Originally Posted by orangecrush
Do you already have xm or Sirius? I ask because I have XM in my truck and for 2.99 a month, I can get a premium extra service for another vehicle.

I use my iPhone and plug it into my redio....

Just a thought.

Mark

Old 06-23-2010, 04:43 PM
cmcveay
3rd Gear
Old 06-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Gluhwein
4th Gear
I need some help with my car payments, can one of you great guys help mke out?

Old 06-23-2010, 05:43 PM
Barrettrw11
4th Gear
I have the Pioneer Inno which I love. It is portable so it comes in handy when I am working. You can also record shows on it that you may miss at night or during the day.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 AM
Dede
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Hundreds if not thousands of people have used the MINI Built-in SAT antenna connection (under the passenger seat) all with very very very good results.

And many have reported better reception that with the puck style that comes with the aftermarket units.

or the built in antenna under the seat.
I misread the original OP's post - I thought he wanted to place the radio's (puck-style) antenna under the seat. Obviously this wouldn't work too well. I re-read and he will use the connector to the built-in antenna. Now that makes a lot of sense..

Old 06-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
I now have my XM setting in the cubby below the radio and it works well. $39.95. I plugged it into a splitter at the power plug. I had it added to my current XM subscription. After taxes and fees about $10.00 extra a month. I am still wanting to get the antenna extension but I am having a little problem with this order. I think it is about $29.00 and I am ok with this but the shipping cost on this thin lightweight 5 ft cable is $8.00 and I just can't order it yet. I probably will but I think that their shipping charge is a pretty good gouge. I don't deny anyone from a profit but this is not a profit, it is a gouge. I live in Dallas and have a lead on a man that can make an XM extension cable for me. I don't have a price but when I get a price I will post more later. The radio works pretty well with the antenna laying on the dash but I can't keep it like that. That would be a little to tacky for such a neat little car.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:06 PM
DoggyDaddy5
Neutral
Simple XM Installation

I have an XM Sportscaster that I finally was able to cleanly install in a visible location to the left of the tach. Visibility is not fantastic but it is O.K. Here is what I did.

I purchased the straight arm GPS mount from GoMiniGo and attached the Sportscaster to the arm using a small screw (disassembled the Sportscaster....easy to do) through the rear of the Sportscaster and through the hole (used for mounting the "ball" socket) on the straight arm mount. I added a small piece of 3M foam adhesive to the opposite end of the Sportscaster for a solid connection.

I still have to route my wires permanently but that will not be a problem....just need the time to finish it. Currently, my antenna is attached to the center of the dashboard at the base of the windshield. Reception is O.K. with some occasional signal loss. I plan on tapping into the MINI's roof antenna eventually.

Here are a couple of photos of the installation.

Attached Thumbnails I just want a simple XM radio-xm-sportscaster-mini-install-03.jpg   I just want a simple XM radio-xm-sportscaster-mini-install-02.jpg  
Old 07-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
I broke down and ordered the 5ft extension cable and after talking to them they mailed the cable thus reducing the shipping to about $5. I had to remove the seat to get to the cable below the plastic cover and connected the extension. Pretty simple except I am poor reception. It seems that I remember that there are supposed to be 2 cables below the seat and I may have hooked up to the wrong one. The instalation was actually pretty simple putting the radio in the cubby below the car radio and AC. I stuffed the excess wiring out of sight behind the radio and used Velcro to connect the radio to the top of the cubby. It almost looks like it belongs there. Now I guess that I have to remove the seat again and see what I did wrong! If I ever get this thing the way I want it, I will send Pix.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:48 AM
dlefever
1st Gear
Keep going, Troy! I'm following your posts because you are doing EXACTLY what I want to do with my recent purchase 2008 Clubman S. Please keep us posted as you make progress and definitely post some pictures.

Old 07-28-2010, 11:27 AM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
I guess nothing is ever actually easy. I ordered the antenna extension and to install it, had to remove the passengers side front seat. It was actually no big thing and once the seat was loose and out of the way the cable plugged without a hitch. I routed the cable to my Sportscaster and plugged everything in using the FM modulator in the XM radio. I got a really lousy sound and automatically figured it must be in the Antenna extension. Because of poor health I was waiting untill I felt more like it to remove the seat. Meanwhile I thought, It might not be the Antenna extension. Yesterday, I called a friend that has a portable XM radio and ask if we could switch out for about 5 minutes. The minute I plugged his radio into my antenna extension, the sound was great. Obviously my Sportscaster antenna connection is faulty and doesn't make good contact. Since I purchased it off the Internet, I may have to jump through some hoops to get it replaced or it may be less expensive to just buy a new one. More about this saga later and I will add pics.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Troy: You might try plugging the Sportscaster directly into the "Aux" port. That is always going to give you better fidelity than trying to use the FM modulator. If you have to use the FM modulator you might try moving it to another frequency which may avoid interference from a local station.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:21 PM
Oxybluecoop
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
Troy: You might try plugging the Sportscaster directly into the "Aux" port. That is always going to give you better fidelity than trying to use the FM modulator. If you have to use the FM modulator you might try moving it to another frequency which may avoid interference from a local station.
Definately use the aux port. The sound is much better.

Old 07-30-2010, 09:58 AM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
The radio is in the mail to be replaced or repaired. The antenna port was faulty and not allowing a solid connection. When it returns, I will connect it to the aux port on the radio and see the difference. The best sound is what I will go with. I live in the Dallas area and there is a lot of radio interference. I will reply more when the radio rerturns. I guess that I have been able to make something complicated out of a relativly simple chore, but if I can get this done, "believe me", anyone can.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the sportscaster in the cubby. I plan to move it to the tach area because you can't see it well at all in the cubby. I have the under seat cord but have not put it in. My original install was when I first got it and I was anxious to get going. I used the lighter plug and put wires on the end. Connected it to the fuse box directly. There is enough room in the panel right beside the AC vent to hide the power thing and the wires. I still have the antena that came with it in the center of the dash (easy to stuff the wires down).

It does not work when going directly north.

The FM modulator I found to have a better sound than the aux input.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:27 AM
lennicant
Neutral
Need Sirius in my 2010 Convertible Cooper sport.

Hi Everyone,

Can you tell me whether I must have the dealer install the Sirius to my stock radio or can I have it installed outside by a pro? Do I need a whole new unit?

Old 08-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Price
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by kukaepe
Troy: I've installed this XM radio in the cubby hole in front of the gearshift:

http://www.myradiostore.com/xm-radio...gt-rvk101.html

This radio has a reasonable cost, fits great in the cubby and has amber/orange lighting that matches the MINI lighting pretty close. It is a basic radio but works great.
Do you have any problems with the cradle that holds the unit? In mine the cradle can barely hold the unit - the plastic is too flimsy and the unit shifts whenever I press a button. Have to use remote.

P.S. I've used the built-in antenna, but also utilized the +12V coming from the factory sat unit connector under the seat.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:33 AM
Troy Curtis
1st Gear
Yeah the cradle is pretty crummy. I also will hang the unit in the cubby with industrial Velcro and it will just hang there but I am planning on using the remote strickly and never touching the radio as I am sure it will probably move and be difficult to use.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio I just want a simple XM radio