Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin EcoRoute

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiGuitarMan

Great thread except it's causing me to want to spend even more money!!!!

And my old GPS just broke this morning....imagine that!

So is there a list of the Garmins that are compatible with this?
I didn't see where your got an answer to your questions so here is the link to the compatible devices list:

http://www8.garmin.com/services/ecor...ompatible.html

and a link to the Garmin page describing the EcoRoute HD:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=38354

Old 04-27-2011, 08:41 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
and here is a link to download vehicles. I use the red mini from the Italian Job

http://www.vehiclesforgarminnuvi.com/

Old 05-06-2011, 07:52 AM
zeiker
2nd Gear
How many screens / "clicks" are involved in toggling back and forth between the GPS route map screen and the gauge screen?

If you've been monitoring the gauges for a while, is the GPS tracking your progress in the background so that when you swap over to the route map it has you immediately locked?

Old 05-06-2011, 08:11 AM
Dodgy
3rd Gear
If you're on gauges it's two clicks to get back to your map (hold the "back" button in lower left-hand corner, then click on map). If you're on the map, it's I think 4 clicks to get back to gauages ("back" button, tools, HDeco, gauges). I wish it were easier to just switch back and forth, but it's now second nature for me. Anyone have a better way?

And yes, the GPS/nav system still has you "locked" the whole time, and you'll actually still hear directions spoke (if you're having it navigate you somewhere) while looking at the gauges. So when you come back to the map, it's live and useful right away.

Old 05-06-2011, 08:20 AM
zeiker
2nd Gear
Dodgy and others - thanks for the discussion / tips. I think you've sold me on using the GPS / ODB II solution for gauges.

(anyone wanna buy a used TomTom? )

Old 05-10-2011, 07:30 AM
Yarsay
Neutral
Refresh frequency

I don't think I've seen anyone comment on the gauge refresh rate with the Ecoroute, is it only updating 1-2 times per second or will you actually get clean sweeps across the gauges?

With MAP for example, it'd like to be able to see how much pressure is building on short periods of boost and for either the large center mounted tach or speedo I'd probably get annoyed if it was all jumpy and lagged the actual gauges.

What are you guys seeing?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM
theunclesam
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yarsay
I don't think I've seen anyone comment on the gauge refresh rate with the Ecoroute, is it only updating 1-2 times per second or will you actually get clean sweeps across the gauges?

With MAP for example, it'd like to be able to see how much pressure is building on short periods of boost and for either the large center mounted tach or speedo I'd probably get annoyed if it was all jumpy and lagged the actual gauges.

What are you guys seeing?
It's 1-2 times per second. It's definitely not like an analog or dedicated dial. However, it does the trick for 99% of the time.

Old 05-16-2011, 03:32 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NightFlyR
I actually decided to go this route as I was due for a free upgrade on the phone, I ordered the Dongle, and have already downloaded the torque App, just waiting for the mount from craven speed to come. Very easy to set up so far and I have 5 guages viewing, will post some pictures when it is all set up
so how is the Torque app working out? Would you reccommend going that route over using a Garmin GPS to display the gauges? And finally, are you running it on a IPhone or a "real" phone like the Android?

The only problem I see with going this route is I couldn't use the handsfree functions since that would require being paired with the MINI and you can't have the phone paired to two devices simultaneously.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 AM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dodgy
If you're on gauges it's two clicks to get back to your map (hold the "back" button in lower left-hand corner, then click on map). If you're on the map, it's I think 4 clicks to get back to gauages ("back" button, tools, HDeco, gauges). I wish it were easier to just switch back and forth, but it's now second nature for me. Anyone have a better way?
I can't speak for other models but the Nuvi 2460 has a customizable Main menu that you can add Gauges to. So it's two clicks either way. If you have voice activation, initiating voice commands switches you from gauges to the voice command menu and telling it to exit takes you back to the gauges.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 AM
NightFlyR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
so how is the Torque app working out? Would you reccommend going that route over using a Garmin GPS to display the gauges? And finally, are you running it on a IPhone or a "real" phone like the Android?

The only problem I see with going this route is I couldn't use the handsfree functions since that would require being paired with the MINI and you can't have the phone paired to two devices simultaneously.
I have not seen in person the Garmin set up, so I cant really compare, I am running the HTC EVO phone, and I have to say it is great, Picked up a larger battery on Amazon for 10 bucks, so I have yet to have to use the car adaptor. My phone has no issues using the bluetooth for the Torque and my Bluetooth headpeice, they both sync up fine. One nice feature I liked was last night while working on the car, i was able to take the phone out while the car was running, and monitor all my guages. For me I like the setup I now have.

Old 05-18-2011, 07:45 PM
MattEr76
Neutral
I've just gotten the dongle for my 1490t. Couldn't get it to connect to my R53, updated the GPS with the new ecoroute firmware, and still couldn't. Probably just user error, but I'll head out tomorrow to see if resetting the dongle itself will work.

Old 05-18-2011, 09:30 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by MattEr76
I've just gotten the dongle for my 1490t. Couldn't get it to connect to my R53, updated the GPS with the new ecoroute firmware, and still couldn't. Probably just user error, but I'll head out tomorrow to see if resetting the dongle itself will work.
I had the same issue and checked the blogs at the same time writing Garmin Customer service. I found the fix on the blogs and fixed it. Low and behold Garmin came back about 5 days later with the same thing. So here it is:

I am happy to help you with this.
Please plug the unit into the computer and open the GARMIN drive.
Open the '.system' folder.
You may need to show hidden and protected files on your computer to see this folder.
Open the 'Remote SW' folder and delete it's contents.
Unplug the unit and try connecting the ecoRoute HD again.
Please reply if you need anything more.

The Remote SW folder is a system folder and may not be visible their way but make sure hidden files are enabled. When you open the Garmin drive, in the upper right corner you should have a search window, type in there "Remote SW" that should help you find it.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:30 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NightFlyR

I have not seen in person the Garmin set up, so I cant really compare, I am running the HTC EVO phone, and I have to say it is great, Picked up a larger battery on Amazon for 10 bucks, so I have yet to have to use the car adaptor. My phone has no issues using the bluetooth for the Torque and my Bluetooth headpeice, they both sync up fine. One nice feature I liked was last night while working on the car, i was able to take the phone out while the car was running, and monitor all my guages. For me I like the setup I now have.
That's interesting! I was always under the impression that BT would only connect/pair with one device at a time. Of course BT devices can appear to be multiple types so maybe you can connect to different types at the same time but only one of the same type, it would be sort of interesting to play around with it. If I remember correctly the EVO is an Android phone which should mean the Droid X should have most if not all of the same abilities. Thanks for the information!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM
MattEr76
Neutral
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
I had the same issue and checked the blogs at the same time writing Garmin Customer service. I found the fix on the blogs and fixed it. Low and behold Garmin came back about 5 days later with the same thing. So here it is:

I am happy to help you with this.
Please plug the unit into the computer and open the GARMIN drive.
Open the '.system' folder.
You may need to show hidden and protected files on your computer to see this folder.
Open the 'Remote SW' folder and delete it's contents.
Unplug the unit and try connecting the ecoRoute HD again.
Please reply if you need anything more.

The Remote SW folder is a system folder and may not be visible their way but make sure hidden files are enabled. When you open the Garmin drive, in the upper right corner you should have a search window, type in there "Remote SW" that should help you find it.

Hmm, tried this and still no connection? Not sure what the issue is. I've tried resetting the dongle, turning on and off the car as the GPS says, disconnecting and reconnecting the dongle and no avail.

Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MattEr76
Hmm, tried this and still no connection? Not sure what the issue is. I've tried resetting the dongle, turning on and off the car as the GPS says, disconnecting and reconnecting the dongle and no avail.
Try it on a different vehicle to verify that the equipment is working correctly.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:24 PM
MattEr76
Neutral
Originally Posted by Rainman768
Try it on a different vehicle to verify that the equipment is working correctly.
Tried in on a Chrysler Seabring and it worked like a charm. Started up and connected on the first try. I guess my MINI doesn't want anymore accessories...

Old 05-20-2011, 05:10 AM
bilk
1st Gear
Go to the Bluetooth settings and do the restore (reset?). This is what I had to do to get the dongle to reconnect. Mine has lost connection quite often and usually reconnects, when it won't this worked.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:38 AM
MattEr76
Neutral
Originally Posted by bilk
Go to the Bluetooth settings and do the restore (reset?). This is what I had to do to get the dongle to reconnect. Mine has lost connection quite often and usually reconnects, when it won't this worked.
That didn't do the trick either. Is anyone else here successfully installed one on a 1st Gen MINI?

Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM
MattEr76
Neutral
Still no luck

So after many emails to Garmin support, still not able to get it to connect.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:49 PM
SpyVsSpy
2nd Gear
I remember mine looking like it would connect because the blue light was on and then go into an update and would appear to lock up during the update. I did this numerous times and got fed up. I started searching the blogs and learned the "RemoteSW" folder trick and I think they said to delete an additional file. Looking on my computer I have a current.gpx file I removed also. Then it conected. I no what you are going through..been there and done that.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:04 PM
MattEr76
Neutral
Originally Posted by SpyVsSpy
I remember mine looking like it would connect because the blue light was on and then go into an update and would appear to lock up during the update. I did this numerous times and got fed up. I started searching the blogs and learned the "RemoteSW" folder trick and I think they said to delete an additional file. Looking on my computer I have a current.gpx file I removed also. Then it conected. I no what you are going through..been there and done that.
Mine just tries to connect and gives me the error message that it could not communicate with the vehicle, turn off and try again. I have already removed the RemoteSW file and the current.gpx files with no luck.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:50 PM
mavic1010
2nd Gear
Looking at getting this setup. Does anyone know if you can have guages and maps on split screen?

Old 06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
That's not an option from what I've seen.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
MiamiGuitarMan
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe a dumb question but is the only difference between the 1490LMT and the 1490T the lifetime map updates?

Tigerdirect/compusa currently has refurb 1490Ts on sale for 99 bucks. If the only difference is the map updates and aside from that they are identical, I'm going to go buy one this afternoon.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:29 AM
JCW11
1st Gear
yes

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Garmin EcoRoute