Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Garmin EcoRoute

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 PM
kukaepe
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Garmin EcoRoute

Has anyone bought and installed the OBDII Garmin EcoRoute HD add on device? I understand this device has a feature (among others) that will allow a gauge display on certain Garmin Nuvi navigation units using data from the MINI's ECU. The device communicates with the Nuvi via bluetooth and plugs into the OBDII port under the dash to get the data from the ECU. I'm curious if anyone can share their experience with this Garmin product. I am interested in getting additional information like water temperature, boost, etc. and this looked like a possible approach. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by kukaepe; 08-24-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:35 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yes, a couple of us here have done it.

I bought a 1490T so I could use the Eco Route feature, because I also wanted a temp gauge...the others have just been a bonus!

It's a lot of fun to use, I only wish it could put up an oil pressure reading too - but that's not in the OBD's sensor range, so no joy there.

One of the more fascinating gauges to me to watch is the timing advance - it's crazy how much advance and retard you see as you're on and off the gas!

I bought the 1490T at Costco for $230 (on sale now for $210 BTW) and the dongle from Amazon for $130.

I'm still learning about all the features in this thing, it's got a huge amount of screens and features....

Old 08-25-2010, 03:10 PM
CarJon
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have part number for dongle or how it is described in Amazon?
Thanks

Old 08-25-2010, 05:16 PM
ron-s mini
6th Gear
Garmin ecoRoute HD Vehicle Diagnostics Communicator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product

Now just 89.99.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:43 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
Wow, $50 cheaper than when I bought it less than a month ago! Helluva deal....

Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
I'm considering purchasing this along with a second Garmin GPS device to display the gauges (I wish I had known about this a month sooner, I could have gotten the right GPS to begin with ), does anyone know if this will mess with the built-in bluetooth in my 2009 MCS or on the BB?

Old 10-01-2010, 09:06 AM
BamaCooperS
3rd Gear
I have the ecoRoute HD along with a Garmin 1390T and love it. I replaced a ScanGauge II with it. I'm using the HD on my '09 JCW and have no trouible at all with the factory bluetooth.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:22 AM
elee
Neutral
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
I'm considering purchasing this along with a second Garmin GPS device to display the gauges (I wish I had known about this a month sooner, I could have gotten the right GPS to begin with ), does anyone know if this will mess with the built-in bluetooth in my 2009 MCS or on the BB?
Mat J,
I have the garmin 1490t + ecoroute hd in my 2010 jcw. I MUST let the garmin boot up and connect to the ecoroute hd dongle BEFORE i turn on my phone (an old samsung eternity). i know when the ecoroute hd and garmin connect b/c the gauge icon will appear on the garmin. If my phone and garmin are both trying to connect simultaneously via bluetooth (garmin to dongle, and phone to car), the phone takes priority and then interferes with the garmin-to-dongle connection. after the garmin and ecoroute hd connect, i turn on my phone to connect to the car and there are no issues in connectivity or performance of either device (garmin or phone).

i discovered this conflict when my gauge icon would not consistently display on the garmin. I turned off my phone and the icon displayed.

love the garmin and its gauge feature; i've grown dependent on the gauges. hope this helps.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 AM
MINIdave
6th Gear
I had not noticed the Bluetooth conflict between the phone and HD, but that could explain why once or twice things quit working.....

Most of the time - since my phone is always on when I get in the car, itall just hooks up and works.

The two devices don't seem to interfere with each other at all tho - my phone is an older BB 8700....of course, age is a relative thing with phone, 1 year old is totally out of date......

Old 10-01-2010, 11:19 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear

I have the garmin 1490t + ecoroute hd in my 2010 jcw. I MUST let the garmin boot up and connect to the ecoroute hd dongle BEFORE i turn on my phone (an old samsung eternity). i know when the ecoroute hd and garmin connect b/c the gauge icon will appear on the garmin. If my phone and garmin are both trying to connect simultaneously via bluetooth (garmin to dongle, and phone to car), the phone takes priority and then interferes with the garmin-to-dongle connection. after the garmin and ecoroute hd connect, i turn on my phone to connect to the car and there are no issues in connectivity or performance of either device (garmin or phone).

Most of the time - since my phone is always on when I get in the car, itall just hooks up and works.

The two devices don't seem to interfere with each other at all tho - my phone is an older BB 8700....of course, age is a relative thing with phone, 1 year old is totally out of date......
Thanks to both for posting, I haven't totally made up my mind to purchase these items but given the lack of important gauges in the MINI dash, I am quite seriously thinking about it. Just to have the ability to see water temp and oil pressure would be quite good. It is nice to see that prices have come down quite dramatically at least since I first found out about it. I did a little pricing today and it looks like you can get the Ecoroute HD and a Garmin 1260 for just about $300!

Old 10-01-2010, 01:27 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
You won't get oil pressure unfortunately, you will get water temp along with 18 or so other parameters....

Old 01-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Shadowmaker
Neutral
Any suggestions on mounting & connecting up the Garmin EcoRoute HD to the OBDII? I'm barely a newbie with the Mini's. Truth be told I'm still trying to find where the interface is at on my new Countryman. {don't get it away... I'll find it }

Are the service guys typically cool with leaving the unit installed when you drop the car of for maintenance? Has anyone ever been challenged for voiding warranties?

Old 01-15-2011, 04:53 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
It should not have anything to do with your warranty - I can't think of a single reason they would care about it. You may find it unplugged if they have to plug into the port at one of your service stops, so you may have to reprogram it again, but that's easy to do.

The plug-in is on the left, under the dash - the rectangular socket near the kick panel, you have to look up from the floor to see it. I unclipped the plug , installed the ecoroute, then just left the whole thing lie on top of the underdash panel, inside it.

Edit: Oops, you have a Countryman, don't know if it's in the same place or not on one of those. Sorry.....

Old 02-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Rainman768
3rd Gear
Can it reset trouble codes?

Old 02-20-2011, 10:55 AM
elee
Neutral
Yes. It can read and reset trouble codes.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:39 AM
Mat J Monk
4th Gear
This is slightly off-topic, but here's a question for the brain trust:

I was surfing through the Android Market last night and ran across an application call "Torque" (something like that). This is supposed to work with the ODBII adapters (via Bluetooth) and can display a set of gauges as well as set/reset fault codes.

Anyone familar or have used this application in the past?

Cheers.

Old 03-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mat J Monk
This is slightly off-topic, but here's a question for the brain trust:

I was surfing through the Android Market last night and ran across an application call "Torque" (something like that). This is supposed to work with the ODBII adapters (via Bluetooth) and can display a set of gauges as well as set/reset fault codes.

Anyone familar or have used this application in the past?

Cheers.
Oddly enough, I was looking at the same thing. A buddy of mine is about to upgrade from his Droid to newer model and said I could have his, so thinking of using that with Torque and a generic Bluetooth OBDII dongle.

Before the free phone option became available to me, the Garmin/EcoRoute was proving to be the most cost effective route for multiple gauges.

I believe you can get Torque for the iPhone and iPod Touch as well...

Old 03-08-2011, 05:38 AM
BostonR56S
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So has anyone confirmed whether this can read boost? (MAP pressure)

Old 03-09-2011, 05:31 PM
slimjimtell
5th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Yes, the EcoRoute HD measures boost

They call it intake manifold pressure.

Old 03-10-2011, 09:11 AM
Phlerb
1st Gear
I have not found anywhere. Can you set alerts for sensor 'limits' with this? Say an oil temp of 230 or higher, etc with the ecoRoute HD?

Old 03-10-2011, 12:02 PM
MINIdave
6th Gear
The Garmin is read-only, you cannot set limits on it.

Interesting how the OP never came back to his own thread.....

Old 04-14-2011, 12:22 PM
AXO
5th Gear
I am heading to Bestbuy today to buy one and an extra windshield mount for my GPS so I can switch my Nuvi between cars. This thing is Awesome!

Last edited by AXO; 04-14-2011 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 12:24 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Old 04-14-2011, 12:25 PM
AXO
5th Gear
Old 04-14-2011, 12:45 PM
TheCheatOSX
3rd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
It's on my list as soon as I can catch it on sale. I have an Amazon $20 credit coming in a week or so which I might use for it.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Garmin EcoRoute