Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio R56 Speaker swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 01:56 PM
Norcal_Cyclist
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
R56 Speaker swap

I did a search but did not find instructions on speaker swapouts for the non-hifi / HK system. Refer to the excellent speaker REMOVAL instructions here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nt-how-to.html

I purchased Alpine SPS-600C 6.5" speakers. The issue I was concerned with was tweeter installation w/o swapping pillars and running wires. While this is not optimal, the improvement was well worth the minimal investment in time and money. I did have to drill some new holes and used the OEM scews to hold in teh driver but there was plenty of meat for this. All in all I would rate speaker install as a 3 out of 10 for difficulty.

I wired both speakers to the same channel, the lower speaker inputs. If I change over to a-pillar pods I will change it but for the cost and time involved teh system sounds MUCH better than it did.

Rather than make a mount for the tweeter in the upper location I broke out the hot glue gun and did this:

I found a rubber plug and cut an X in it to run the wires. Luckily the speakers had inline filters and chokes so I didn't have to find a place for crossover boxes.

Installed and ready to rock your socks:

Old 11-25-2010, 02:39 PM
wuttuptae
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Norcal_Cyclist
I did a search but did not find instructions on speaker swapouts for the non-hifi / HK system.
I'm surprised this post went unnoticed. If I'm seeing it right, you glued the new tweeter to the old 4" speaker? I haven't seen that done yet. Any worries about unwanted resonance? Have you experienced any noticeable issues?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:05 PM
Maurtis
3rd Gear
From the hole he cut in it, I am assuming that he is not using the old 4" speaker any more, if that is what you are asking about.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:12 PM
MotorMouth
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Norcal_Cyclist
I did a search but did not find instructions on speaker swapouts for the non-hifi / HK system. Refer to the excellent speaker REMOVAL instructions here:

changing the speakers in the non hifi is exactly like with the hifi/HK other than two fewer speakers.

I freaked when i saw your tweeter pic until I realized you aren't using the 4" anymore.

Actually the place you put the tweeter is better than in the a pillar. Ideally your 2 speakers should be closer together than further apart.