Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Install instructions for SWI-X

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2002, 05:55 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so I finally got around to installing this thing. For those who don't know, the PAC SWI-X is an interface gadget that allows you to retain use of your steering wheel controls with aftermarket headunit.

It's really pretty easy. I’ve taken the manufacturer’s instructions and slimmed them down to be Cooper specific.

Step One: Cut off all wires on SWI-X harnes except the YELLOW, BLACK and RED. That's right, it's just 3 wires to connect. Tape off the cut wires.

Step Two: Connect RED to switched 12v. The red wire in the stock harness will work.

Step Three: Connect BLACK to ground. All solid brown wires in the Cooper are ground.

Step Four: Connect YELLOW to white with red stripe and yellow dots. The white/red w/yellow dots wire can be found in the main wire leads coming from behind the steering wheel, on the left side). This is perhaps the hardest part. You can remove the steering wheel shroud, but it requires the removal of two 3.5 torx screws on top (behind tach) and two on the bottom. I didn't have that size in my torx set so I just cut the protective black cloth tape from around the wire lead and fished out the white/red w/yellow dots wire. Attach the SWI-X YELLOW wire to the steering wheel side of the wire you just cut. Word of caution: Don’t connect YELLOW SWI-X wire to Cooper white/red w/yellow dots wire at the harness, behind stereo. Between the steering column and the headunit is a module for the controls. If you access the cooper wire after the module the SWI-X will not work. The wire must be tapped from behind the steering wheel.

Step Five: Time to program! The MINI Cooper uses program #5. Hold down the "mode" button on SWI-X and turn ignition to accessory 2. Both LEDs should light up. Release the “mode” button, both LEDs turn off. Then the LEDs will light up again for 3 seconds, just wait for them to go out again. Once they are out press the “mode” button 5 times. The LEDs will light up each time you press the button to confirm the input (do not hesitate more than 3 seconds between pressing or it will think you are done). After pressing the button 5 times, wait 3 seconds and it will flash the right LED 5 times to confirm your entry. It is now ready for your steering wheel button programming.

Step 6: Setting up your buttons. If ignition is still on from step 5, turn off and then back to accessory 2. The SWI-X right LED will flash 5 times confirming your setting of program #5. Now press and hold the “mode” button until the left LED lights up. Release “mode” button. Now select a button to program on the steering wheel. Press and hold the SWB (steering wheel button) until left LED goes out. The right LED will then light. Press and hold the corresponding button on your headunit remote (while aiming at the SWI-X) until the right LED goes out. At this point the left LED goes back on. Select your next SWB to program. Press and hold the SWB until left LED goes out and right LED comes on. Again, press the corresponding button on headunit remote until right LED goes out. Continue until all buttons are programmed. Do not hesitate between programming more than 7 seconds or it will think you are done. Do not turn off ignition during programming or it will lose your input. When done programming, wait 7 seconds and both LEDs blink 3 times, confirming that the SWB programming is done and retained.

Step 7: Test it out. Place the IR lead (black wire with blue LED at end, coming from right side of SWI-X) near your headunit and test the SWB. Find the best spot and install. I chose to drill a small hole and mount it south east of the ignition keyhole, in the steering column. Works pretty good. Occasionally I’ve noticed it can be kinda slow to respond (mainly while under fluorescent lighting), but it always does.

Pictures of some of this can be found at the bottom of this page.

Feel free to email me with any questions you might have. This is really a fairly straight forward install. If you follow my directions you should have no problems.

R

Old 10-07-2004, 06:48 PM
AnnJones
3rd Gear
SWI-X install

I got everything apart and got my SWI-X hooked up to control my new Alpine HU, but was having trouble with the programing...... Iwas unable to get all of the steering wheel controls to work.

Once I realized that the head units remote had to be pointed at the SWI-X black box, and NOT at the IR emitter, it learned all functions.

This might seem obvious to those with more experience,,,,,
hope this helps someone else....

Ann

Old 10-09-2004, 04:07 AM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This should be added to the FAQ...thank you for sharing this information.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:06 PM
Elmann
1st Gear
This thread made installing the SWI-X much easier. Thanks to all for the great advice.

My contribution is to make sure you have a plan of action before starting. I thought through the buttons I wanted to use and the order I wanted to set them up. Keep in mind that you can use all six buttons on the left side of the wheel to program functions. I use the phone button for MUTE and the Button above that (don't remember the letters) to change between Tuner, CD, and the Ipod. I highly recommend this device if you are going with an aftermarket deck.

I installed the remote eye in the Rubber Key cover incase I wish to remove the SWI-X. It must be cheaper to buy that cover rather than the Steering wheel housing.

It works great and the company (PAC) that makes the unit is very helpful.

Good luck!!

ELMANN
Motor On!!

Old 08-19-2005, 02:17 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Installed mine yesterday, got to the programming part, and had to take a 24 hour scavenger hunt break. Where TF did I put that remote?

Don't ask why, but I found it in a box at the bottom of the kitchen pantry this morning, next to our hefty garbage bags and iams cat food.

I was able to program and finish the install. Forgot to take pics during, but the guide helped except for 1 part.
The wire must be tapped from behind the steering wheel.
I bought taps, and spent 90 minutes trying to figure out why it wasn't working. I finally reread the SWI-X factory instructions, and it says the wire MUST be cut. :/ Wasted 3 taps trying to get it to work. Oh well. And for clarification, the wire comes from the left side of the steering column, and is directly underneath in the center white harness.

Anyhow, there's a small flat area back behind the radio cubby, right next to the firewall. I used some 3M dual-lock velcro to mount the box there, and was able to mount the IR emitter on one of my other mods, preventing drilling:
http://www.mappage.net/cmine/display...lbum=15&pos=16

Overall the guide was helpful! Thanks!