Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio MINI Connected and iPhone 4

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM
Spice Orange JCW
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new cable would be of no help to you because you do not have Mini Connected.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:05 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Spice Orange JCW
The new cable would be of no help to you because you do not have Mini Connected.
The new cable probably wouldn't work at all since the white ipod cable didn't. It has nothing to with connected, the new cable is specified only for cars with the AUX input labeled A/V in.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:07 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Really confused

I have a 2012 Mini with Mini Connected and NAV, and an iPhone 4S. The cable that came with it did not work. They then tried a snap in cable, which did connect, but wouldn't stay connected. They then gave me THIS monster, which works fine, but why is everyone else saying that other cables work? They charged me $298 for it. They said I was the first person to even ask for anything like this. I just got my car on May 29th, 2012. How could a CABLE cost that much? Did they rip me off????

Attached Thumbnails MINI Connected and iPhone 4-various-010.jpg  
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by msmarti58
I have a 2012 Mini with Mini Connected and NAV, and an iPhone 4S. The cable that came with it did not work. They then tried a snap in cable, which did connect, but wouldn't stay connected. They then gave me THIS monster, which works fine, but why is everyone else saying that other cables work? They charged me $298 for it. They said I was the first person to even ask for anything like this. I just got my car on May 29th, 2012. How could a CABLE cost that much? Did they rip me off????
$298!!! What a rip off! From the picture I can safely say they gave you a relay box that allows your phone to draw power from the 12V socket and the box connects to your phone via the standard Mini USB + A/V cable (which comes with the car). If this setup actually works while the cable alone doesn't, it can only be one of two reasons:
1. Something is wrong with your iphone 4S that it needs more power than it should, try another iphone with the standard cable.
2. Something is wrong with your car's USB port, the power output is too low. You should have it fixed under warranty.

You most definitely shouldn't be needing this "monster" and at $298 I feel very sorry for you.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:33 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tmehanna
$298!!! What a rip off! From the picture I can safely say they gave you a relay box that allows your phone to draw power from the 12V socket and the box connects to your phone via the standard Mini USB + A/V cable (which comes with the car). If this setup actually works while the cable alone doesn't, it can only be one of two reasons:
1. Something is wrong with your iphone 4S that it needs more power than it should, try another iphone with the standard cable.
2. Something is wrong with your car's USB port, the power output is too low. You should have it fixed under warranty.

You most definitely shouldn't be needing this "monster" and at $298 I feel very sorry for you.
I did try another iPhone, not the 4S, just the 4, and it didn't work either. I MAY not need the other cable then, since I already have that, it came with the car. It's all over my head (I'm a woman and not electronically inclined).

Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
I did try another iPhone, not the 4S, just the 4, and it didn't work either. I MAY not need the other cable then, since I already have that, it came with the car. It's all over my head (I'm a woman and not electronically inclined).
Iphones 3GS and later are compatible, so if you tried a 3GS or a 4 and it didn't work, there is a problem with your car's USB port and you should have it fixed. If a MINI dealer sold you that box for $298 rather than check and fix your car's USB port under warranty you must complain to their manager or even file a complaint against the dealer with MINI NA. All this box does is externally power your phone through the 12V socket, and if it does work it can only mean your USB port doesn't output enough juice. You should NOT need it, and your iphone shouldn't be taking up your 12V socket.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:08 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Iphones 3GS and later are compatible, so if you tried a 3GS or a 4 and it didn't work, there is a problem with your car's USB port and you should have it fixed. If a MINI dealer sold you that box for $298 rather than check and fix your car's USB port under warranty you must complain to their manager or even file a complaint against the dealer with MINI NA. All this box does is externally power your phone through the 12V socket, and if it does work it can only mean your USB port doesn't output enough juice. You should NOT need it, and your iphone shouldn't be taking up your 12V socket.
Let me clarify. the original USB cable plugged in under the radio area did not recognize either iPhone. So they installed a snap in adapter cable in the armrest, which is what I am reading elsewhere is the only way to use Mini Connected. THAT is the one that would connect and disconnect. So the tech looked up the problem on the net and was told that what he ordered me was what I needed. I have the iPhone with iOs 5 or whatever the latest OS is. Now I am even more confused. And the guy told me I could watch videos. I can't. I can hear the video but not see it.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:09 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Clarification

Let me clarify. the original USB cable plugged in under the radio area did not recognize either iPhone. So they installed a snap in adapter cable in the armrest, which is what I am reading elsewhere is the only way to use Mini Connected. THAT is the one that would connect and disconnect. So the tech looked up the problem on the net and was told that what he ordered me was what I needed. I have the iPhone with iOs 5 or whatever the latest OS is. Now I am even more confused. And the guy told me I could watch videos. I can't. I can hear the video but not see it. I had it in Park.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:04 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Let me clarify. the original USB cable plugged in under the radio area did not recognize either iPhone. So they installed a snap in adapter cable in the armrest, which is what I am reading elsewhere is the only way to use Mini Connected. THAT is the one that would connect and disconnect. So the tech looked up the problem on the net and was told that what he ordered me was what I needed. I have the iPhone with iOs 5 or whatever the latest OS is. Now I am even more confused. And the guy told me I could watch videos. I can't. I can hear the video but not see it. I had it in Park.
1. Does the original cable that came with your car look like the Y cable that connects the box to your phone in the picture or does it have a little box where it splits to two leads?
2. With your current "monster" setup, is your phone still recognized if you unplug the 12V lead from the lighter socket?
3. Have you tried plugging in a different kind of phone or a USB stick in the dashboard USB socket?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:44 AM
msmarti58
1st Gear
1. Does the original cable that came with your car look like the Y cable that connects the box to your phone in the picture or does it have a little box where it splits to two leads?
2. With your current "monster" setup, is your phone still recognized if you unplug the 12V lead from the lighter socket?
3. Have you tried plugging in a different kind of phone or a USB stick in the dashboard USB socket?
It has a little box. I haven't tried any other devices. I do have an old iPod, and an iPad, and a usb stick. I will try that. As I recall, I could play music that way, but I couldn't go into Mini Connected and have anything happen - i.e. Facebook, etc. would not start up. It would just say "usb device not found."

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 AM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Question...for video to work, do you to set the parking brake? I have been reading that. The dude said I could sit in a traffic jam with it in park and view a video, but who sits in a jam and sets the parking brake? In fact, who wants to just view a video that way? I don't care about that part, but if he's telling me it is possible, I want it to work. Also, I have to turn the engine on for my Mini Connected to work anyway.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:37 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
It has a little box.
Well that figures. Looks like you got the wrong (old) cable. The correct cable for your car looks like the one in the picture you posted (the one that connects your phone to the monster box) and does not have a box where it splits into two leads. I have attached a pic of the correct cable for your car. This is the very reason you cannot watch your videos and all your other troubles, the older cable doesn't have the video function and is incompatible with cars that has the AUX input labeled "AV IN" and looks like the one you got with your monster thing doesn't have video either. You need part # 61122179623 priced at $72.50 but you should have the cable that came with your car exchanged free of charge, and return this $300 ripoff/monstrosity And no, you don't need the parking brake to watch your video. Notice the 3 rings on the tip of the jack, your cables have only 2 rings (Audio L + Audio R), the third ring on the cable is for video.

Attached Thumbnails MINI Connected and iPhone 4-61122179623.jpg  

Last edited by tmehanna; 07-10-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM
msmarti58
1st Gear
I looked up that part and it shows a little box with it, not the one you pictured. I guess I give up now. I don't need to be viewing videos anyway. :(

Old 07-10-2012, 08:52 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
I looked up that part and it shows a little box with it, not the one you pictured. I guess I give up now. I don't need to be viewing videos anyway. :(
No, wherever you looked has the wrong picture! What I posted IS the correct picture for the part, I OWN IT!!! Help me help you LOL

If you bothered looking at the first page of this thread you will find pictures of both cables, old and new!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:55 AM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Here you go

You have the one at the bottom, you need the one at the top whose part number I quoted you. And please do read the original poster's comments at the bottom, they would have answered all your questions from the beginning

Originally Posted by cgingras
Here they are.

The first one is the "new" Y cable from MINI (the one for video playback).

The middle one is the Apple USB cable.

The last one is the "old" Y cable from MINI (video doesn't work with it).

With the first one, I have video playback and MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the Apple cable, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected works with my iPhone 4.

With the last one, I don't have video playback (normal), MINI Connected doesn't work with my iPhone 4. But it's the only that can make my "old" iPod photo work for music.

All cables work OK for music playback and control via the MINI controls but I don't get album covers and I don't get the PlugIn option in MINI Connected.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:28 AM
msmarti58
1st Gear
No, wherever you looked has the wrong picture! What I posted IS the correct picture for the part, I OWN IT!!! Help me help you LOL

If you bothered looking at the first page of this thread you will find pictures of both cables, old and new!
Sorry, I did not look at the first page. Yes, I do have that cable you have, that is the one they ordered for me, along with the bigger part. The cable like yours plugs into the big charger part. Hmmmm. How do I find out the part numbers? I saved the little baggies they all came in.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:20 AM
msmarti58
1st Gear
Okay, here is what I found out. Here are the part numbers. The first cable, the one with the box, that was provided when I got the car, the part number is 61 12 0 440 812.

The new cable is part 61 12 2 179 623. The charging adapoter, the big one that no one else seems to have, is 61 12 2 167 663.

I played around with all of them. The first one will play music and bring up my playlist, but does not do Mini Connected, nor is there a pretty graphical menu or album art. If I remove the charging adapter and just use the new Y cable, I can get the Playlists with album art and all that, but Mini Connected won't come up. If I put it all together, everything is fine only I can't view video. Maybe I am doing it wrong. How do you view video exactly? I downloaded an HD movie to ITunes, then put it in a Playlist so I could see it in the list. Otherwise, there is no menu to find the movie list.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:22 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Okay, here is what I found out. Here are the part numbers. The first cable, the one with the box, that was provided when I got the car, the part number is 61 12 0 440 812.

The new cable is part 61 12 2 179 623. The charging adapoter, the big one that no one else seems to have, is 61 12 2 167 663.

I played around with all of them. The first one will play music and bring up my playlist, but does not do Mini Connected, nor is there a pretty graphical menu or album art. If I remove the charging adapter and just use the new Y cable, I can get the Playlists with album art and all that, but Mini Connected won't come up. If I put it all together, everything is fine only I can't view video. Maybe I am doing it wrong. How do you view video exactly? I downloaded an HD movie to ITunes, then put it in a Playlist so I could see it in the list. Otherwise, there is no menu to find the movie list.
I thought you said you can hear the videos but not see them so I assumed you know how to find them. There's a little film strip icon on the left labeled videos, select that. Have you tried to play videos with the Y cable alone without the charging adapter?

Also look at the tip of the jack coming OUT of the charging adapter (the jack that connects to the AV IN of your car) does this tip have 3 rings like the Y cable that goes into the adapter or only 2 rings? If it only has 2 rings, than the charging adapter does not relay the video signal.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
I thought you said you can hear the videos but not see them so I assumed you know how to find them. There's a little film strip icon on the left labeled videos, select that. Have you tried to play videos with the Y cable alone without the charging adapter?

Also look at the tip of the jack coming OUT of the charging adapter (the jack that connects to the AV IN of your car) does this tip have 3 rings like the Y cable that goes into the adapter or only 2 rings? If it only has 2 rings, than the charging adapter does not relay the video signal.
No, I really wasn't sure where to look for the videos, so I just guessed. Obviously I guessed wrong. Where do I find this icon exactly? I have never seen it. Yes, I tried, no good. Yes, I will look on the tip. This is getting so complicated, the average person would not know to do all this!

Old 07-10-2012, 05:22 PM
msmarti58
1st Gear
No video

No, I really wasn't sure where to look for the videos, so I just guessed. Obviously I guessed wrong. Where do I find this icon exactly? I have never seen it. Yes, I tried, no good. Yes, I will look on the tip. This is getting so complicated, the average person would not know to do all this!

Old 07-10-2012, 07:47 PM
tmehanna
2nd Gear
Check your private messages

Old 07-16-2012, 02:54 PM
danoR
Neutral
Video not working with iPhone 4 but works with iPad

Hi Everyone, I just got my 2012 Mini Cooper S Clubman with Mini Connected and Nav. Pretty much I got everything to work except the video play back with my iPhone 4.

iPhone 4 with the new Y cable
Working: Music control from CD/Multimedia (can see album artwork), Music control from Plugin/iPod Out (can see album artwork), Music control from WebRadio, Music control from Pandora
Not working: Cannot see the video playback when the car is set in park (audio only). I've tested it with two different iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1.1. The strange thing it works when I tested with my iPad.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Going to test it with an iPhone 4S soon and will post with an update.

Thanks in advance!