Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Intermittent NAV screeen

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 01:44 AM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anyone had trouble with their NAV screens possibly related to extreme cold??? I'm just taking a guess here but is it possible for the cold to make the screens non-operable?? It has been down in the low 20's and teen's here in D.C. The NAV screen is dark on startup. Sometimes it works fine, other times it stays dark. It only seems to turn back on after the car is warmed up, 20 to 30 minutes later and I have re-started the car. Anyone experience anything lick this?? If I am off base here I guess it means another trip to the dealer.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:28 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
This is nothing new, and was talked about quite a bit last year. I know this was an issue with the CD based systems, however the DVD systems came out too late in the year for the real cold.

Many owner's brought their CD based systems in for service do to this and I believe got the unit replaced. While this often resolved the display issues in the cold, it sometimes had other consequences. Several owners lost the UK accent, others gained it. One owner even reported that their Nav system now has a male voice!

My car does it, however unless I really need the system when I get in the car I don't worry about it. I don't want to take my chances with the replacement system. Now if my dealer would drop a DVD system in to replace my CD sytem as a fix, well then I'd consider it...

Old 01-12-2004, 10:15 PM
akajoker
2nd Gear
Thanks for the response. I am from sunny San Diego and only recently bought my MCS. Not something I expected to happen. Since I am only temporarily in the cold country I will just let it be. Thanks again.

Old 01-13-2004, 08:33 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Wait a minute!!! Your visiting DC right now!!! You should have checked in with the DC MINI people, we just had a dinner this past weekend and you would have been welcomed to attend!!!