Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Am I crazy? 2007 Mini Cooper S Stereo Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 09:29 AM
grradams
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I crazy? 2007 Mini Cooper S Stereo Wiring

I am installing a Pioneer deck into my 2007 Mini Cooper S. It is a double din deck, so I relocated the original head unit behind the speedo. I got a longer ribbon cable to make the connection from the cd player to the computer board so the on screen display still works (the one where it shows your radio stations and bmc data) The only problem is the rest of the flippin wiring.

This is the only wiring diagram I could find for a 2007 Mini Cooper S and I either I'm crazy or some of these aren't right because the colors do not match what is feeding from the car to its oem wiring adapter.

I need to figure out which wire to connect the (Yellow Batt+) from the pioneer radio into which wire on the Mini and also the (Red ACC) wire from the pioneer to the mini.

Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Brown
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/Blue
Car Radio Ground Wire: Brown
Car Radio Illumination Wire: Gray/Red
Car Stereo Dimmer Wire: N/A
Car Stereo Antenna Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amp Trigger Wire: White
Car Stereo Amplifier Location: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Front Speakers Location: N/A
Left Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Red (These wires also go to the front tweeter.)
Left Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Brown
Right Front Speaker Positive Wire (+): Brown/Black (These wires also go to the rear tweeter.)
Right Front Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Black
Car Audio Rear Speakers Size: N/A
Car Audio Rear Speakers Location: N/A
Left Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Yellow/Black
Left Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Yellow/Gray
Right Rear Speaker Positive Wire (+): Blue/Violet
Right Rear Speaker Negative Wire (-): Blue/Gray

Here are a few photos of the cars oem wiring harness:

The last photo is right before I placed the original deck right behind where the speedo sits, and it fits barely.

I have a wiring harness from Mike over at newministuff that was wired for a Parrot but I was going to try to modify it so I could use it with my new deck but am having trouble.

Also does anyone know what the two prongs on the bottom right of the adapter are for? When that harness is connected to the oem deck, it does make a connection to the cd player, but if I unplug it or use an after market harness the cd player is still powered and everything works, so I don't really know if its something I need to wire in or i can just "leave alone"

Old 07-18-2011, 04:28 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Just a quick note for you the two "prongs" you mention are actually fiber optic cables and MUST be connected to the OEM radio.

As for the other wiring off the top of my head i could not say if it is right or wrong but there are wiring diagrams available online so check over in the electrical section and see what you can find also someone has translated the german colors to english over there somewhere.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:39 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
The two wires you need are:
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Brown (connect the Pioneer's yellow wire to this one)
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/Blue (connect the Pioneer's red wire to this one)

Also, the OEM wires WON'T match the OEM adapter. The adapter and Pioneer use CEA standard wiring colors where Mini (nor ANY auto manufacturer for that matter). All you need to do is match up the colors on the adapter and the Pioneer and you'll be good.

Last edited by quality_sound; 07-28-2011 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:56 PM
grradams
1st Gear
Originally Posted by quality_sound
The two wires you need are:
Car Radio Battery Constant 12v+ Wire: Red/Brown (connect the Pioneer's yellow wire to this one)
Car Radio Accessory Switched 12v+ Wire: Violet/Blue (connect the Pioneer's red wire to this one)

Also, the OEM wires WON'T match the OEM adapter. The adapter and Pioneer use CEA standard wiring colors where Mini (nor ANY auto manufacturer for that matter). All you need to do is match up the colors on the adapter and the Pioneer and you'll be good.
What if there isn't a red/brown wire haha.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 PM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Those are the colors you provided so I based my reply on that. The harness you bought that plugs into the OEM harness will have colors that match the Pioneer. If you're trying to tap directly into the OEM wiring then look for the largest wires in the loom (probably two of them) and test with a multimeter to see which one has constant +12V.

My suggestion would be to ditch the current harness and use a Metra harness. It'll make life easier AND it'll fit better since there will be a lot less wiring back there. You can also check with connects2 (www.connects2.com).

Old 08-02-2011, 10:13 PM
grradams
1st Gear
So I ended up pulling the dash apart agggaaain haha. I rewired the Pioneers Yellow wire to the MINI's Red/Green wire which matches up with the pin that shows its a 12v battery connection and it connects the bmw/mini harness I got that is for the R56.

It still powers on and off with the ignition but for whatever reason after 20 mins the deck will then "reset" and ask me what language and i have to reset the time. Is there anything else I should be looking at or any other ideas of why this might be happening. I have the switched wire from the pioneer deck going to a fuse in the passenger foot panel.

Im stuck :(

Old 08-03-2011, 12:49 AM
quality_sound
5th Gear
Sounds like the "+12V" lead you used is a retained accessory powery lead and not a true +12V lead. There HAS to be a +12V lead in the harness but worst case, you can always run a lead from the fuse panel or directly from the battery.