Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Android smartphone link up to 05 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011 | 06:58 PM
Lbowout
|
Neutral
Android smartphone link up to 05 MCS

Hi, newbie here! Just bought my wife an 05 MCS convertible for our 23d anniversary and we absolutely love the car.

Now we are messing around trying to figure out all the features. We have Android smartphones that we cannot figure out how to program with the car. We have the R/T and phone buttons on the right side of the steering wheel but when we initiate those nothing happens.

There is nothing in the owner's manual about programming the hands free device. I've looked all over this site but cannot find any specifics (push this, then do this, hold your mouth right, etc...).

We do not have the armrest console that I think I read on another thread was needed to sync the blue tooth capability? Is that really needed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated - especially anything with pictures or instructions "for dummies".

Jeff

Old 08-07-2011 | 12:38 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Lbowout
We have the R/T and phone buttons on the right side of the steering wheel but when we initiate those nothing happens.
Those buttons are on the steering wheel whether the car has Bluetooth or not. Most MINI owners are driving around with nonfunctional buttons!

For a 2005 (the 1st generation MINI), there was never a factory installed Bluetooth option, but a kit was available that could be installed by the dealer. It was very expensive (almost $2000 installed), so it is very rare and unlikely that your car has it.

There are aftermarket Bluetooth kits available, including some that integrate with the steering wheel buttons. There are several models from Parrot. Search for Parrot on this forum.

Old 08-07-2011 | 06:39 AM
Lbowout
|
Neutral
Originally Posted by rkw
Those buttons are on the steering wheel whether the car has Bluetooth or not. Most MINI owners are driving around with nonfunctional buttons!

For a 2005 (the 1st generation MINI), there was never a factory installed Bluetooth option, but a kit was available that could be installed by the dealer. It was very expensive (almost $2000 installed), so it is very rare and unlikely that your car has it.

$2000 option?!?! Ouch!!!

Think I'll stick to not talking on the phone while driving.