Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Mini Connected, Bluetooth, and HTC Thunderbolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 10:14 AM
gmogoody
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini Connected, Bluetooth, and HTC Thunderbolt

Does anyone have a possible solution for this. We had full bluetooth connectivity including audio streaming, album artwork and phone contacts.

I contacted the dealer and they have only tested with Apple Iphones.

Scenario:

Vehicle - 2012 Mini Countryman with Mini Connect
Phones – HTC thunderbolt (we have two of them)

What happened

Paired HTC Thunderbolt #1 with Mini Connected and everything was fine.
Paired HTC Thunderbolt #2 with Mini connected and thought everything was fine. It actually prevented Thunderbolt #1 from working.
As it turns out both phones had the same default device name for blue tooth.
Paired HTC Thunderbolt #1 with Mini Connected and everything was fine but it booted Thunderbolt #2

During those steps the Mini Still had two devices listed with the same name but only one would work properly.

I decided to start over

Removed both devices from the Mini Connected.
Changed the names of the devices to be unique.
Tried to pair either of the Thunderbolts with the Mini Connected. Neither would pair. Mini Connected is stating an error occurred, and the Phones are stating the Mini Connected has rejected the pairing request.

Trouble shooting done

Turned off the Bluetooth from the menu in mini connected to free the Bluetooth stack. Still did not work.

Other then disconnecting the battery is there a way to make the mini connected forget the Bluetooth state? Should I try to pair a friends phone and then try ours again?

Old 10-24-2011, 05:08 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
First of all the system can have only one phone connected at a time. What ever the first phone is that is picked up out of the list of 4 possible phones is the one that will connect to the MINI Bluetooth.

Second are you sure you renamed the phones properly they can have no spaces, dashes, or other characters other than letters and numbers. and also must not be more than 8 characters long.

I would suggest renaming one back to its original name and trying again. There should be no reason for it not to connect. then change the second one back to its original name and but change the last character by one letter/number then you should be able to connect it with out problems.

If you are still getting an error remove the Fuse for the radio and bluetooth modules. Fuse list here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...not-fuses.html

If after that it is still not working come back and we can help you trouble shoot some other options.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:53 AM
gmogoody
Neutral
Originally Posted by schatzy62
First of all the system can have only one phone connected at a time. What ever the first phone is that is picked up out of the list of 4 possible phones is the one that will connect to the MINI Bluetooth.

Second are you sure you renamed the phones properly they can have no spaces, dashes, or other characters other than letters and numbers. and also must not be more than 8 characters long.

I would suggest renaming one back to its original name and trying again. There should be no reason for it not to connect. then change the second one back to its original name and but change the last character by one letter/number then you should be able to connect it with out problems.

If you are still getting an error remove the Fuse for the radio and bluetooth modules. Fuse list here https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...not-fuses.html

If after that it is still not working come back and we can help you trouble shoot some other options.
Thanks for the Reply.

I was not trying to connect two phones at the same time. The Mini Connect can remember up to 5 or 6 paired blue tooth phones. My wife and I both drive the car so it prevents us from pairing every time we get in.

I tried an additional phone a Samsung Charge over the weekend and that did not pair either so I believe it is the Mini Connect.

On the Device name size it must be letters and numbers only because it must be UTF-8 standard. The size though does not need to be limited to 8 characters. It must be limited to 248 Bytes. My 12 character names do fit that criteria.

From the 2.0 spec

"The Bluetooth device name can be up to 248 bytes maximum according to [3].
It shall be encoded according to UTF-8 (i.e. name entered on UI level may be down to 82 characters outside the Unicode range 0x00-0x7F are used).
A device can not expect that a general remote device is able to handle more than the first 40 characters of the Bluetooth device name. If a remote device has limited display capabilities, it may use only the first 20 characters."

Thanks for the fuse idea I will give that a try tonight.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 AM
gmogoody
Neutral
So I took it over to the dealer because it was still under warranty. Here is what they said. When I removed the devices from the Mini connect they appeared to be removed from the user. i.e they were not listed in the Mini Connect menu. When they connected the diagnostic equipment to the computer they were still there and the system was in a bad state. They stated they had to remove them using their equipment, and do a reset.

I wish they would have told me more but he was reluctant. I asked if a fuse pull would have solved this and he said no. The person I was talking to though, I thought was a manager and not the actual tech. I wanted to look at the detailed receipt afterwards to see if that shed some more light but they actually handed me another Mini owners.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:24 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Well hopefully this fixed your problem. Some other MINI owners have complained of the same issue after being to the dealer where the bluetooth did not drop the phone yet to the user is did not show up.

As for my comments on a maximum of 8 characters. that is specified in MINI documentation and not the bluetooth spec. And MINI specs are different from the standard bluetooth spec and that is why many people have trouble with getting certain phones to pair at all. For some reason MINI/BMW think it is Okay to not meet the bluetooth spec. but it is probably a hold over from the early days when BMW, Mercedes, Lexus were selling phones with the cars that would work only with those cars. They were trying to make it exclusive.