Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Need help with factory stereo...

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 09:16 AM
kayseashell
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with factory stereo...

I am experiencing problems with my factory installed Alpine stereo. Model # CD53 R50. Powers on when car starts, but NONE of the buttons (with exception to the volume ****) are working. Can't eject CD, can't switch modes, does not appear that iPod interface is working, etc. ALSO, only the volume control on the steering wheel works, not the track/channel up/down. Anyone have any suggestions? (I have uninstalled the radio and checked/replaced all fuses...no visible damage to wires or harness). Thanks!
'06 MINI COOPER S w/ JCW 1st GEN

Old 11-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Sometimes electronics just die. Simplest to just get a replacement - they can be had for <$100 on ebay.

Old 11-27-2011, 01:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Due to placement, i think many radio's get soda/coffe splashed on them...
if the buttons physically feel odd...sometimes you might be able to carefuly clean it...
sounds like more than just that here though....either the radio bought the farm so to speak, or pehaps you triggered the antitheft protection when you removed it...was it fine before you pulled it out, or did you just pull it out when it failed to check the fuse connections?
either way, the simplest fix might be a used radio from most any nwer r53/r50/r52.
if i recall correctly, stick with an 05 (maybe 04) radio to keep all the same options...older ones had mp3 reading, aux added at different times...there was also a manfacture change pretty late in the game....but externally they look the same.
Then again...the failed radio does give you an excuse to "upgrade" to an aftermarket radio...an approprate adaptor will allow you to keep the steering wheel volume controls....

Old 11-27-2011, 02:28 PM
daflake
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine has recently started to act up as well. It takes about 30 seconds after the car starts to actually come on. I suspect that it is on its last leg as well. As Zippy said, they just tend to die.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:57 AM
kayseashell
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the opinions/advice

Well, I'd say that's about "par for the course". The radio is about the ONLY thing we've NOT had problems with...UNTIL NOW! I was listening to it one minute, got out of the car for 5 minutes, and it just QUIT on me!

@Zippy: it quit all by itself. THEN, I checked all fuses in box. When that didn't work, I pulled it from dash to check the other fuses. It was locked up on CHIPMUNK CHRISTMAS RADIO...I HAD TO DO SOMETHING...or I'd go MAD!
It will power on when car starts, but NOTHING ELSE. I am also aware of the drink-spilling-capabilities...been there, done that. BUT, this is different. Buttons feel normal, just don't work.
HERE'S the weird part: the volume **** on the unit AND the volume control on the steering wheel BOTH WORK! BUT, nothing else??? (so, i can listen to Alvin, Simon, & Theodore as LOUD as I like)

IF I'm going to replace, what should I be looking for? Car was ordered with iPod interface in the glovebox...I hate that! (lack of iPod-like control, and it locks up all the time). Also, thinking that aux/usb would be a nice addition. don't know about bluetooth...
WOULD LOVE recommendations...please advise...THANKS!!

Old 11-28-2011, 02:38 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If you're talking about replacement with another MINI OEM head unit, the any of the first-gen radios will work, but I'd advise sticking with a 2005 or later, in order to get text display, AUX input and the ability to play MP3 discs.

There are three different first-gen radios. The earliest (Alpine) has the hard plastic volume ****. The next (also Alpine) has a larger rubbery volume ****, a little bigger than the diameter of a pencil. The last version (Siemens) has a much larger volume **** - about the diameter of a dime. You want one of the last two versions in order get AUX input, MP3 playback, and text display all in the same unit.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:43 PM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
If you're talking about replacement with another MINI OEM head unit, the any of the first-gen radios will work, but I'd advise sticking with a 2005 or later, in order to get text display, AUX input and the ability to play MP3 discs.

There are three different first-gen radios. The earliest (Alpine) has the hard plastic volume ****. The next (also Alpine) has a larger rubbery volume ****, a little bigger than the diameter of a pencil. The last version (Siemens) has a much larger volume **** - about the diameter of a dime. You want one of the last two versions in order get AUX input, MP3 playback, and text display all in the same unit.
Will a 2005 head unit plug and play in my 2003 MINI with out security code issues and work with my HK system and in the display the same?

Old 01-05-2012, 03:20 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems. Going with a 2005+ head unit in an earlier MINI is a popular swap for people wanting MP3 playback capability and text display.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:15 AM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Ava

Found a AVA brand for $110.00, good brand?

Last edited by IDOXLR8; 01-06-2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Wrong Thead
Old 01-06-2013, 10:19 AM
IDOXLR8
3rd Gear
Wrong Thread

Originally Posted by IDOXLR8
Found a AVA brand for $110.00, good brand?
Posted this in the wrong thread and can't remove it , sorry, AL.

Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I sold my OEM head unit out of my 2006 for $50... I could have gotten more, it seems!

Now might be a good time to get an aftermarket unit. You can get something with USB, bluetooth, aux, etc, for ~$100-150.