Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio BlueTooth Q's - Phone requirements?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BlueTooth Q's - Phone requirements?

Just picked up a 2012 with Bluetooth hands free package (not Mini Connected). Checked the BlueTooth sticky and tried the search, but can't find a listing for the phone I'm thinking about getting. What is the criteria a phone needs to connect to BlueTooth hands free calling and music streaming? Is it BlueTooth version related?

Thinking of getting a T-Mobile Sparq (Alcatel OT-606A) no-contract phone for emergency, limited use, mild texting and music streaming. Specifications say it has BlueTooth v2.0 or v2.1 and EDR (differs on the spec sites) and A2DP streaming (from what i've read, mini doesn;t claim to support A2DP, but some phones work). Can you determine if it will work by the sepc's? Or is it a game of try and see?

Don't want to buy this cheapy phone if it won't work with my new car.

Also have access to an older Motorola MottoCubo (A45 Eco), but couldn't find any references to that phone either. Any educational help you can provide is appreciated.

T-Mobile Sparq (Alcatel OT-606A) profiles:
  • Headset (HSP), Handsfree (HFP), Dial-up networking (DUN), Object Push (OPP), Generic Access (GAP), Service Discovery Application (SDAP), Service Discovery Protocol (SDP), Generic Audio/Video Distribution (GAVDP), Advanced Audio Distribution (A2DP), Audio/Visual Remote Control Profile (AVRCP), Logical Link Control and Adaptation Protocol, Audio/Video Control Transport Protocol (AVCTP)

Old 12-07-2011, 07:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
If you do not have MINI Connected you will NOT be able to stream music to the car from the phone without aftermarket extras.

As for the bluetooth call functions it should work. It is in some ways version specific but most phones work without problem. There are a few phones from Samsung and LG that have had problems but even those are limited.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:54 AM
BlackIce
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the minimal $50 plunge to be the ginnie pig for the T-Mobile Sparq (AKA: Alcatel OT-606A). Paired up just fine and works great! I'll try the streaming music feature when I get some music onto the phone to see if it works. Will post up once tested.