Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Hit a Bump, Stereo Shuts Off and/or Crackles

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 11:43 AM
digitalsabre
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hit a Bump, Stereo Shuts Off and/or Crackles

I've done a search and have found a few posts about this, but no answers.

I recently purchased an 07 S with the standard Boost Stereo. A few days ago, I hit a bump and the stereo shut off... The lights and display would still work fine, and it doesn't matter if it is on AUX, Radio, or CD.

Then I would hit another bump and it would either come back on, or the speakers would start crackling. I have also noticed that if the passenger door is slammed sometimes it would effect the output of the speakers too.

I'm pretty handy with electronics, but thought I would ask if anyone else has had this issue. It sounds like a connector is loose on the output of the amplifier section. Since it is a standard Boost model, I don't think there is an amp stowed in the back of the car, so is it possibly on the back of the stereo unit?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM
strobeyprobey
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Just to make sure:

If you have tweeters in the A-pillars by the windshield you DO have a separate amplifier in the trunk.

Passenger door is the first place to look, inspect the rubber covered wire harness carefully for chafing or exposure. Pull off the door panels and look at the speaker wiring in the door.

If you have the amp, it is in the left rear in the boot behind a cover. Silver box. Make sure that harness looks okay and is seated properly.

If you don't have an amp you are probably correct about needing a replacement of the head unit (the amplifier is integrated). car-part.com should be able to get a used one for decent price. But unless the vehicle you get it from has the exact same options (radio, bluetooth, amp, PDC, etc) as yours you will need to have it reprogrammed.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:55 AM
digitalsabre
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Actually, yesterday evening I figured it out! I installed a new set of speakers in the front doors a few weeks ago. Apparently the terminals on the back of the speakers were touching the metal door panel. I found this out by taking the door panel off and pressing the outer edge of the speaker. When I did, it would touch the terminals to the metal and cause a short. Luckily I don't think it did any long term damage. I simply rotated the speaker 180 degrees to put the terminals on the top side of the speaker instead of on the bottom where the metal lip of the door comes up.

I would say that any time someone has the same symptoms, crackling speakers, no sound, etc. It will be a short somewhere in the speaker line.