Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio Boost Stereo silent, then OK after restart.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 03:08 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Boost Stereo silent, then OK after restart.

This morning when I started my car (first cold day of the year... 27F), the stereo produced no sound. Tuner seemed to work, as did Sirius, and the CD player, but no sound. Also, the LCD display was VERY sluggish. Related?

Drove 2 miles, stopped for gas, and when I started the car, the radio came on (and everything worked).

I looked, but didn't anything quite like this mentioned here. Any ideas? The car will be out of warranty in 4 months, and as it stands now, I doubt they'd do anything on a "can't duplicate problem" issue... pending 100% failure.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
My car did that a few years ago shortly after I had done some electrical work in the car.....trailer wiring if I recall correctly...or maybe it was driving lights. Anyway, I had the same symptom and it only occurred once or twice. On mine it was only remedied by my pulling the radio fuse and putting it back in. Shortly after that, I had the car at the dealer for maintenance and asked them to check it. They did find a stored code for low voltage but nothing else. My theory is that when I had done the wiring work, I ran the battery down from having the lights on for an extended time.

I have heard of ppl having this and other strange symptoms happen when their battery is on its way out. If your battery is 4 or 5 yrs old, that's a possibility. I still have the original battery in my car and have contemplated replacing it just to b on the safe side.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
Fastlane, thanks! That helps (cold morning and old battery). Battery checked OK last week, but...

;-)

Old 03-16-2013, 12:08 PM
pmsummer
5th Gear
This happened again in January (another cold morning... we haven't had very many down here this year). So it happened twice, but I can't reproduce the fault.

This week, I took my car in one last time to try and get the inaccurate fuel gauge fixed before the car goes out of warranty (next week). I told them about the radio problem, as well. The dealer ran memory tests on the radio, it displayed a fault, and they replaced the radio(!).

I also got two new fuel tank sending units, as they tested bad.