Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio what are my speaker options with HK?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 08:11 AM
dgtlman
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what are my speaker options with HK?

I have a 2011 r57 s with the HK sound package. Recently I have noticed that the rear passenger speaker sounds like it has blown out.

I have tried to search the forum to find out definitively what my options are but I am still unsure.

I don't think I want to replace the amp because, from what I understand, it will require a lot of cost/headaches/etc... not to mention how many things are tied into the OEM unit.

If I want to replace the speakers what are my options? I looked on Crutchfield (CF) and they list a whole bunch compatible with my car. But as I have read through several threads, it seems that CF may not be correct.

Is it possible to buy just a replacement HK speaker?

Are there better speakers to replace the entire system with? If so, can they be replaced without major surgery?

I have never been satisfied with the sound from my car, especially with the top down. Now that I have to do something about this speaker, it is a good time to rethink the entire thing.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
All I can say is that Integral Audio makes a complete setup, including a subwoofer, for the R56 (not sure about the R57), but it is expensive. I haven't dived into this area with gusto yet because of all the non-concrete answers floating around, and also because I'm satisfied with how the system sounds in my MINI. But that's me. Sorry I couldn't be a better help.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM
dgtlman
1st Gear
thanks for the tip. I looked at the speakers and it seems that it is $1500 and another $800 for the sub.

I don't think I would do the sub. The upside to these speakers is the claim that they are designed to work with the system. Are there any reviews of these speakers?

But I was really hoping to spend less money. Is there any other speakers that would be compatible but offer higher performance then stock speakers?

Thanks again

Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Is your MINI under warranty still? If yes it is still covered.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:01 AM
dgtlman
1st Gear
really? It is under warranty, though usually speakers are not covered. That would be great if it is....

.... although I still wouldn't mind having better sound.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
It is part of the bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:07 AM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
It's certainly worth a call to your local MINI dealer to find out lol. What's the worst case? They say "nope it isn't covered." At least you'd have a direction to follow depending on what is said.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:16 AM
dgtlman
1st Gear
HUGE THANKS to braminator & agbullet25.

In general bumper to bumper warranty seems to have many exclusions. What a happy surprise how mini views it.

I just called and it is covered, which is great. free is...

...always better.

Hypothetically though, if i chose to replace them is anyone aware of other options?

Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
HUGE THANKS to braminator

Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 AM
Kevin@Integral Audio
Banned
Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by dgtlman
Are there any reviews of these speakers?
You can find reviews of the Soundstage here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...uct/527/cat/50. There are also reviews of just the sub, as well as reviews in the Vendor section.

But I was really hoping to spend less money. Is there any other speakers that would be compatible but offer higher performance then stock speakers?
It is expensive, in an absolute sense. If you are talking relative value though, I can assure you it is the best value in car audio, period. Read through some of the threads by knowledgeable car audio folks, consensus opinion by folks who would actually know is that you'd pay double at a local shop and you still won't get the same thing - just isn't possible to be done as a one-off.