Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio best sound system upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:55 AM
karnow
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
best sound system upgrade?

I have a MINI convertible S 2013 and want to uprade the crappy base sound system (it's not HK). Any advice on best stuff to add? Is Integral Audio Soundstage the bestway to go for $1500 or is there something better? Please advise!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:02 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Crutchfield is usually a good place to start, they are pricey but can tell you how to get what u want out of your stereo.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:35 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Crutchfield

I have heard of some that have replaced the speakers with no issues from Crutchfield.

Any more gets fairly technical. I wonder if any have gone the route of a professional install. And I hear adding a subwoofer is fairly complicated.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:48 PM
karnow
Neutral
I spoke to Sean at Crutchfield -- very helpful and suggested several improvements including Polk speakers, Fosgate amp, Kicker subwoofer but also a KENWOOD radio which he said was crucial but I think would be aesthetcally jarring on the mini dash. I am now considering: 1. A HK upgrade and/or 2. "soundstage" from integrated audio -- wondering if the integrated audio can run using the HK radio?

Old 02-16-2014, 05:49 PM
liquidity
Neutral
If you haven't yet tried the channel swap, you should. I did it yesterday and I can't believe what a difference it made. I was planning on adding a subwoofer and replacing the front speakers and potentially adding an amp for those, but after the channel swap I don't think I'm going to do any of that. It seems 3x louder and with LOTS more bass. It's not perfect by any stretch, but it is a huge improvement over the stock (non Hi-Fi) system.

I used to install competition car stereo systems when I was a youngin', so I'm not completely tone deaf, in case that helps to substantiate this at all.

Old 02-16-2014, 05:55 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hands down, get the integral audio soundstage. I haven't hit top volume, but it's definitely the best sounding system I've ever had. There was a little problem when I installed it, but all that was needed was an adjustment of the amp and Kevin walked me through it. I REALLY really REALLY missed my music when my car was out of commission for two weeks due to the leaking turbo oil feed line and while it was in pieces in the garage I was driving either my Dad's Jeep, or my Mom's 335i M.

Hands down. It's a lot of money, but you'll be getting the best.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:02 PM
karnow
Neutral
soundstage

Not sure what a channel swap means. Soundstage looks promising,

Old 02-16-2014, 06:09 PM
Ian Landesman
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
channel swap is switching the input for the back speakers and front speakers. I never did it, so I can't say myself, but as liquidity says, a lot of people swear by it. I went straight to the component swap. If you have the money, integral audio is where it's at. Are you a DIY'er? My car was apart for a few days, but the biggest issue I had with the install was bending over in the boot... ooooh my poor back! But once the job is done, it's done.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:30 PM
Ostros
1st Gear
Originally Posted by karnow
I have a MINI convertible S 2013 and want to uprade the crappy base sound system (it's not HK). Any advice on best stuff to add? Is Integral Audio Soundstage the bestway to go for $1500 or is there something better? Please advise!
I had my 2010 MCS installed with JL amp and subwoofer. It made a very big
improvement when these were added to the stock head unit and F and R speakers.

Old 02-16-2014, 06:36 PM
karnow
Neutral
i would have integrated audio refer me to someone who would do the install -- one concern is that I DO NOT have an HK system in there now and dont know if the soundstage is compatible with the BASE STEREO -- i am sure they would let me know...

Old 02-17-2014, 10:23 AM
karnow
Neutral
Also MINI offers this upgrade for $1000 including installation -- is this as good as the HK system?

The MINI Alpine Hi-Fi system offers a significantly improved audio performance compared to the standard stereo system. All components have been designed especially by ALPINE Electronics for the acoustic conditions inside the MINI. By retaining the original loudspeaker positions in the doors, installation stays simple and the factory interior appearance is retained. The 3-way system comprises a Class D amplifier with 2 x 100 Watt output. Woofers, mid-range speakers and tweeters developed especially for the MINI have aluminum membranes for a transparent, clear sound that also reproduces fine nuances beautifully. The MINI sound system is a great value for the money!