Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Front speakers (nothing else)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2002, 01:02 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am planning to upgrade my front speakers when I take delivery of my MCS sometime in December. However, I am not planning to upgrade any other part of the stereo, despite what has been discussed in other threads in this forum.

So far, I have learned that the basic head unit puts out 15 watts/channel RMS (according to askMINI), and that the front speakers are 5 1/4" plus a component tweeter.

My goal for this upgrade is to acheive better bass extension and volume, over the stock setup. So, I am looking for front component speakers with a high efficiency rating, and a low frequency extension (90+db and >40hz) Can anyone suggest a good pair of speakers that fits this bill?

My other requirement is that the speakers fit into the stock trim/grill. I know that other posters, including Normalizer, have installed 6.5" speakers with the stock trim. I would appreciate some tips on how to achieve this, given the shallow depth (1.75"?) of the doors. Will I need spacer rings etc.?

Thanks,

Soopa

Old 11-02-2002, 02:36 PM
jlm
6th Gear
do a search on froant speakers; it's been done and reported there.

Old 11-02-2002, 03:31 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
The "Speakers" thread is somewhat confusing, as it contains some contradictory and irrelevant information. That's why I tried to start a new thread. However, I guess will go back and ask for clarification on the "Speakers" thread.

Old 11-03-2002, 06:14 AM
jlm
6th Gear
Old 11-04-2002, 11:26 AM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Thanks for the info, jlm.

-Soopa

Old 11-12-2002, 12:26 PM
minhi
2nd Gear
a few extra tidbits. it took me 3 tries to make the right spacer (mostly my fault, and lack of tools to correct my mistakes).

I installed focals with a 69mm mounting depth, a 3/4inch spacer just clears the window rails by a few mm. I know jim put in a 1 1/4 spacer, but he had to cut part of the door card. I believe the absolute max spacer you can use is 1 inch and still clear the door card.

as far as only replacing the front speakers on the stock head. that will give you tighter bass and more clarity (which will allow lower volume listening), I'm doing this right now and there is a noticable difference over the stock speakers. just don't expect too much. the stock front speakers are rated at 15watts (and I don't believe that;s RMS, I'm doubtful that the stock head puts out 15 RMS) so the stock head unit is not all that powerful. many aftermarket speakers sound average when you under power them. most people on the MINI2 board have tried keeping the stock headunit, and all agree there is a difference moving to an aftermarket receiver.

one last thing, i know you don't want to replace the rear speakers, but doing so is relatively cheap (50-$100) and i think it rounds out the sound quite nicely. the stock rear speakers are really cheesy, much more so then the fronts which are somewhat decent, just a little muddy on SQ

Old 11-12-2002, 08:27 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Thanks minhi, you're giving me a lot to think about.

The reason I was hesitant to do the rears had as much to do with complexity as it did with price. Taking out the seats and panels seems like a *****. However, I think I'm going to do it, as they will contribute significantly to the bass output of the system.

As for the head unit, I don't see replacing a perfectly good Alpine radio and CD player, just to get more power. I think I'll replace the speakers first, and then consider adding a modest amplifier later.

Old 11-13-2002, 03:51 PM
minhi
2nd Gear
it's not just about loudness. your system is only as strong as your weakest link, the stock stereo just doesn't put out enough clean power to sound great. don't get me wrong aftermarket speakers sound great, even on the factory head. it's just that an aftermarket head will give cleaner power to the speakers. you're strategy is good, do it in steps and decide if you need more as funds permit.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:30 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
>>it's not just about loudness. your system is only as strong as your weakest link, the stock stereo just doesn't put out enough clean power to sound great.
>>

I'm totally with you on this.

I'm a pretty big home audio/theater freak, and have even designed my own stereo speakers. If I wanted better amplification at home, I wouldn't replace my CD player, just my amp. My point was that I would probably get a stand-alone amplifier later on, rather than a new head unit. That way I could put the money into amplification, rather than replacing an adequate cd player and tuner section.

Basically, I have a lot of other toys and $ obligations, and my car stereo just isn't a real high priority. I want to see SOME improvement, but without a lot of cost. I think I have a pretty good understanding of what the new speakers will do for me, and what they will not.

Anyway, thanks for all of the good informed discussion on the subject. :smile: