Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2002, 05:20 PM
dbwilldo
Coordinator :: Southern California MINI Maniacs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I haven't yet taken delivery, but one of the first things that I plan on doing is upgrading the stock stereo, speakers and to add a amp. I am also looking for the installation to be very clean, and don't want any of the components besides the head unit to be visible. I am even debating adding a sub because I really don't think there is room for it, and was just going to use to quality 6x9's. My question is where would be a good spot to mount an amp? I don't want to attach it to the rear seat backs if at all possible as I will be needing that space for storage. What about under the front seats?

Old 11-03-2002, 07:08 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know if you have seen this, but since I've seen it I keep wondering if I can do this... Follow this link to the The [MINI Mod] Bible and check out either document labeled Sound Module. They show a very interesting amp placement. It looks like you might need a special bracket - unless it is already there with nothing attached?

I am extremely curious about everything to do with the items in these documents. Let me know if you come up with anything.

Old 11-03-2002, 07:42 PM
dbwilldo
Thanx for the link! I haven't seen any of these docs yet! From the doc you suggested, it would appear that these directions are for mounting the 'stock' amp, probably the unit that comes with the HK...looks like a tricky install as well, being mounted BEHIND the speedo/nav unit. that would be an awesome mounting point, as it appears that it is kinda/maybe/possibly already wired in that location to do just that.

Thanx again

Old 11-03-2002, 08:28 PM
SoopaCoopa
3rd Gear
Wow. That's the holy grail of amp placement, but how hard is it to remove the entire instrument cluster? And what kind of adhesive do you use to mount the amp? Has anyone out there tried this yet?

Old 11-03-2002, 09:23 PM
dbwilldo
looks like the amp actually gets mounted to a bracket. there is adhesive backing there probably to help hold and provide rattle elimination. I think I might actually have to check this out once mine gets here.

Old 11-03-2002, 09:29 PM
Mini2Go
Coordinator :: Pitt Stop MINI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dbwilldo - and anyone else thinking about attempting this - I anxiously await your feedback!

I'm not quite brave enough to guinea pig this one!

Old 11-04-2002, 12:05 AM
HighAnxiety
4th Gear
Seems very very unrealistic unless you are installing a tiny amp and want no access to it to make adjustments to it. Seems silly.

I put my amps under a 4 inch false floor in trunk of my MCS. That works very good and I still maintain full use of the trunk and can easily access the amps to make adjustments to them.

Old 11-04-2002, 06:09 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>Seems very very unrealistic unless you are installing a tiny amp and want no access to it to make adjustments to it. Seems silly.
>>
>>I put my amps under a 4 inch false floor in trunk of my MCS. That works very good and I still maintain full use of the trunk and can easily access the amps to make adjustments to them.

I did the same thing. I think I need to reroute the wiring though. I'm getting some minor engine whine/alternator noise. Not sure if it's due to my wiring, or due to the fact that I have 3 amps and a campacitor sitting on top of the battery. Perhaps it's just too close? Strange thing is that the sound isn't coming from my speakers, but appears to come from under the dash/near the firewall. Increasing the stereo overruns the noise verifying that it's not related to the stereo. I think I getting some pickup in the dash speaker that beeps at you, say when the temp falls under 37. Odd, but should be easily fixable. If nothing else seems to fix it, I'll just throw in a sound processor....I love excuses for more electronics!!!!!

R

2002 Darksilver/Black Cooper S

Old 11-04-2002, 07:49 AM
Racegun
1st Gear
Sound processor???

(grunting) whas that?

Old 11-04-2002, 11:52 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
Digital sound processors can do many things, depending on what you purchase. Anything from filter out unwanted noise from audio lines to phasing (helpful for big bass so that the sub hits slightly before rest of speakers to give illusion that it's all playing together...eliminates bass lag) to EQ work.

Here's a couple to give you an idea:

AudioControl FOUR.1
Phoenix Gold Tantrum TLD66

R

Old 11-04-2002, 03:16 PM
dbwilldo
>>I put my amps under a 4 inch false floor in trunk of my MCS. That works very good and I still maintain full use of the trunk and can easily access the amps to make adjustments to them.

That sounds a bit more realistic. Although I really like Davbret's install (that custom sub-enclosure is awesome!), it's a bit more than what I would want. Don't suppose that you have posted pics of your install anywhere HighAnxiety, I would really like to check it out.

Old 11-05-2002, 05:56 AM
Davbret
6th Gear
>>...Although I really like Davbret's install (that custom sub-enclosure is awesome...
>>

Why thank you!

R

Old 11-16-2002, 09:52 PM
joeynp
1st Gear
Here is my amp rack... the whole box fit into the trunk... and under the trunk cover too!