Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM Direct install in 05 Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 12:47 PM
coolbluemini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Direct install in 05 Convertable

Has anyone installed XM Diirect in new 05 convertable yet. Where did you install the antenna, where did you put the unit and how did you route the cables? Which Blitzsafe adapter did you use. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 PM
phoggberg
Neutral
Looking for the info as well ....

Old 11-14-2004, 06:44 AM
JPit
2nd Gear
I would like this information, also. Are the wires located in the same place has the hardtop and how difficult would it be to get the antenna up next to the standard one?

Old 11-14-2004, 08:05 AM
GeorgefromAmherst
1st Gear
Yes, I did but it was a bit of a hassle, though. I used the Blitzsafe adaptor, but I had to pay $250 for the adaptor/XM direct package. It was pretty difficult getting to the wiring in the right side of the boot. No door at all like the MC and MCS. I plugged in the hardware, just like the instructions said - no problem. I tried the antenna a bunch of places inside, but none was at all satisfactory. So I went to Circuit City and had it done by people who knew what they were doing. In a half hour and for $34, they installed it on the black shiny piece above the windshield. It works great - as well as my wife's Acura with factory installation.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:40 AM
phoggberg
Neutral
My understanding is the factory antenna is already set up for Sat radio on the MCC standard.

a) Does anyone know if this is the case?
b) Will it attach to the Terk Unit.
c) if so, where do you mount the Blitzsafe & Terk Unit
It would seem to be under the dash perhaps?

If I could use the factory wiring I would prefer to use the Terk Antenna as a refrigerator magnet :-)

Old 11-16-2004, 05:00 AM
Addsy77
1st Gear
antenna on my '05 MCC

I disconnected the antenna from the back of my HU and compared it to the XM Roady2 connection I have and they are different.... I think the antenna that comes with the car is just for Sirius..... of course, don't take my word for it... but if you figure out a way to do it, please post!!

Old 11-16-2004, 01:50 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
The head unit does not have the Sirius tuner built in so the antenna connection there will be for FM/AM only and just like any other. To see if the sat antenna is built in you will need to actually look behind the controls just unbder the antenna itself to see if there is more than one wire there and if so, then trace out the end of the wire.

Old 11-18-2004, 11:11 PM
phoggberg
Neutral
It will work ... its got to

After all I promised the missus that she could have the Terk XM antenna as a refrigerator magnet

Got the parts guy to fax me a copy of the 2005 antenna. It definately shows four coax leads terminated in two different type of connectors. Three are one type, and the fourth look like a Sirius antenna connector.

The articles that talk about the new antenna for 2005 state that it is set up for Radio/Sat/Nav so this makes some sense. The older Sirius (I don't know about the one the Factory will provide) uses two antenna leads, so thus far everything tracks.

Even if the connectors between the Terk Xm unit and the Sirius don't match they are both standard connectors so either a converter can be sourced, or a new connector obtained and the antenna lead introduced to a soldering iron. I'll know more sometime after christmas, when I get a) my car and b) one of my kids gets me the XM Universal adaptor for christmas.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:02 PM
coolbluemini
1st Gear
Has any one found a good place to mount the antenna on the outside of the car and a way to route the cable to it.

Old 11-22-2004, 10:18 AM
barrytheconvertible
Neutral
XM direct install in convertible

Originally Posted by GeorgefromAmherst
Yes, I did but it was a bit of a hassle, though. I used the Blitzsafe adaptor, but I had to pay $250 for the adaptor/XM direct package. It was pretty difficult getting to the wiring in the right side of the boot. No door at all like the MC and MCS. I plugged in the hardware, just like the instructions said - no problem. I tried the antenna a bunch of places inside, but none was at all satisfactory. So I went to Circuit City and had it done by people who knew what they were doing. In a half hour and for $34, they installed it on the black shiny piece above the windshield. It works great - as well as my wife's Acura with factory installation.
Did you get access to the wires finally? I've looked and can't find them anywhere in the convertible. Can anyone help me find them?
Thanks

Old 11-25-2004, 11:28 AM
JPit
2nd Gear
Convertible Installation

Has anyone found the lead wires in the convertible yet?

Old 10-11-2005, 07:00 AM
smcfamily
2nd Gear
I removed my Blitzsafe unit from my 2003 MCS before I sold it, and I'm getting a 2006 Cabrio today. I was planning on doing the dash mount for the antenna.

I've searched the forums, but I can't seem to find the answer to the installation question - are the hookups located in the right rear, the same as the 2003? Can I instead hook directly to the back of the head unit, so routing the antenna would be easier?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:27 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Connections for the Blitzsafe are in the boot at the approximate location that they are for the tin top. However, you need to remove the molded felt(?) covered interior piece on the right side along with the rubber insulation. The connections will be found right behind the right rear seat.

I installed the antenna beside the OEM on the A pillar, routed inside, down the right side of the interior and to the boot.

There is a link to the installation and will try to find it when I have a bit of time...

edit: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=blitzsafe <this may be what you are looking for.

Old 10-11-2005, 07:46 AM
smcfamily
2nd Gear
Thanks - and good to know the same connections are located behind the panel. Sounds like they may be a bit harder to access, but I'll figure it out!

S

Old 10-11-2005, 09:34 AM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I have NO desire to try and put the antenna wire through the OEM antenna hole. Anyone have any other ideas.

I have a Roady 2 right now and wouldn't mind too much keep it or a Roady XT since it sits in a base. But I don't like all the wires running everywhere. THAT drives me nuts and I don't think it looks very good.

Suggestions are appreciated. Oh, I've look through a lot of the old threads, but I still haven't seen anything that can get me by having wires running everywhere.:impatient

Too bad the antenna can't 'see' through the rag top.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:20 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Originally Posted by fsuscotsman
*snip* Too bad the antenna can't 'see' through the rag top.
Some say that it can. One person in this group put the antenna on top of one of the "roll bars" behind the back seat. Another put it in front of the little red button on the dash. Both locations were said to have worked just fine...

You may want to try it.

Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
THAT would be great. That way I would have a VERY short antenna run. WHAT red button on the dash???????

Old 10-11-2005, 03:15 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
THAT would be great. That way I would have a VERY short antenna run. WHAT red button on the dash???????
If you have the "Automatic Air Conditioner", there is an impressive red button right in the middle of the dash that looks like it should be part of a security system. The manual says you can press it to your heart's content, but it doesn't do anything. (Believe it senses the UV rays hitting the dash for the auto air conditioner adjustment...)

Old 10-11-2005, 05:25 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I went out and looked at mine after reading this. There is a little rounded something or other a few inches from the windscreen. But mine is black.

Old 10-12-2005, 06:51 PM
Call
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Purchased the Blitzsafe adapter and xm direct from Classic MINI of Ohio for $199. Opened boot, looked to right inside where a black screw is clearly located, removed it and the plastic cover, then removed the the insulation material and saw nice and neatly the cd changer wire. Pluged in the Blitzsafe adapter (it will only go one way) then plugged the rca jacks into the xm direct, then plugged the antennae wire into the xm direct. I ran the wire out the back, between the rubber seals and simply placed it above my right rear tail light. Works great with zero problems. Some have said they do not like this location. It is fine with me. I never look there except to clean the car. And no leaks. Total time of install...15 minutes.

Old 10-13-2005, 07:35 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
I went out and looked at mine after reading this. There is a little rounded something or other a few inches from the windscreen. But mine is black.
I just checked my build sheet looking for the little red button. You probably don't have it in red because it's part of the "Senior Citizen Special Edition" package, which included the orthopedic seats (I got the optional bed pan / relief tube add-on), Naptime(tm) alarm clock, walking cane holder, pill dispensing dash, self cancelling straight line turn signals and the prescription windshield (windscreen).

Old 10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
I'm glad that wasn't an option for me!!!!

Old 10-13-2005, 03:33 PM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Was going to add the illuminated "Let Me Tell You About My Grandchildren" six-way powered mud flaps, but couldn't get Medicare to pay for it...

Old 02-11-2006, 07:18 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
oops...