Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Location for Front Speaker Crossovers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 01:33 PM
62Lincoln
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Location for Front Speaker Crossovers?

I've read posts in the past that show crossovers mounted on the inner door sheet metal just aft of the speaker location. However, I think these installs were on '04 and earlier models. I have an '05, and the backside of the interior door panel appears to have some added reinforcements that are causing me to question whether or not there will be enough space for the crossover to fit.

Has anyone done an install on an '05? Did the backside of the interior door panels change, or am I just not seeing straight? For details, my front speakers will be Boston Acoustics 6.5 Pro's along with the crossovers, of course. And also will use another set of BA tweeters in the stock location.

Thanks for any advice or input you can offer!

Old 01-02-2005, 06:02 PM
foko
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Inside the doors is a bad choice for crossovers, primarily because they can get wet in there. Thats ok for a while, but i've seen some pretty badly oxidized crossover components after a year or so in a door. Additionally theres a modest amount of "shock" everytime you close/slam the doors. Quality crossovers can probably take it ok, but i don't like to chance it.

I put my Dynaudio crossovers in the space inside the small hatches in the boot.....basically right up against the taillight assemblies. Theres lots of room in those compartments....I've got the crossovers, and two processors in there without problems.

The downside with that location of course is running more speaker wire.

Good luck,
Fabian

Old 04-14-2005, 06:06 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sorta new to audio, i just installed my HU without any problems though

Is there a huge downside to running a wire that far? I was thinking about powering the crossoves from my HU's built in amp, so i would have to run the wires all the way back up front wouldn't i?

Old 04-14-2005, 05:07 PM
foko
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI
I'm sorta new to audio, i just installed my HU without any problems though

Is there a huge downside to running a wire that far? I was thinking about powering the crossoves from my HU's built in amp, so i would have to run the wires all the way back up front wouldn't i?
Well, you do have to run a lot more wire if you are using the HU power and put the crossovers in back. As a general rule, you want short wire runs for everything. Space limitations for components frequently override such general rules though.

I would try to stash crossovers up under the dash somewhere in your application. There's lots of room in there, you just need to be creative about mounting (quality double back tape and/or velcro and/or zip ties all work great)

Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM
memojo
2nd Gear
In the boot

I had my crossovers put where the HK amp was (before we pulled it out). New amp is on the boot floor above the battery. Works well.

Memojo