Cheapest head unit for digital gauge/combi retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2021 | 10:39 AM
Kerbouchard
|
2nd Gear
Cheapest head unit for digital gauge/combi retrofit?

Hi All,

I have a 2017 Countryman S that I'm looking to make some upgrades to, and could use someone's help in selecting part numbers. I've read through the various posts on retrofitting carplay, NBT Evo, and digital combi meter multiple times, so have a pretty good idea of what's needed and what I'm getting myself into here. Could use some help nailing down the specifics though.

Current Setup: Stock except for MMI Prime

- Screen: 6.5” Non-Touch

- Nav: No

- Carplay: BimmerTech MMI Prime

- Audio: Standard (not HK)

- Gauge Cluster: Analog cluster with “segmented” fuel level indicators

- HUD: No

- MMI Controller: Standard (with orange dot in the middle)

- Speakers: Stock + Bavsound Subs

- Headunit: MagnetiMorelli – Type MED USA 100F 12

What I’d like to do:

I have a used 6WB digital combi unit (part number:62105A189D6 ) waiting to be installed but it seems my particular head unit doesn’t have a MOST connection, so I believe a new head unit and MOST cable is required.

A few thoughts:

- I don’t really need to add navigation as the carplay MMI prime unit works quite well

- Re: NBT EVO and “factory” carplay, I’ve heard complaints with the sound quality out of both the base and HK sound systems on NBT EVO equipped cars. My stock sound system sounds MUCH better with the MMI prime box installed, so I’m hesitant to swap that out.
- I don’t really need a touchscreen (again carplay works fine), though an upgrade to the larger 8.8” screen (touch or not) would be nice.

So in conclusion…is there a cheap (non nav, non carplay) head unit out there that would allow me to run my digital combi meter and (perhaps) a larger 8.8” screen that’s more cost effective than swapping to a full NBT Evo / Touch Screen solution?

Also FYI, I’ve not coded with anything more than Bimmercode in the past, but am pretty tech savvy and willing to learn esys, etc. as needed.

Thanks in advance!