Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Deleting HK system

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2024, 02:55 PM
Silvermitsu10
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Deleting HK system

Alright, so I’m buying a 2003 R53 on Monday. It has the factory HK system, but the radio is dead. No power at the head unit. I haven’t checked anything out yet obviously, but I know I want to get rid of the HK system all together and replace with the single din touch screen available on ECS tuning, and new speakers all the way around. That being said, I’m ok with running new wire to all 4 speakers. My question is what else will I have to do in wiring everything up? Does power come in through the factory amp harness, or is it supplied to the radio itself? What else will lose functionality if anything when removing the whole HK system and what are the work around for those things? I’ve been searching all day and haven’t found a definitive answer on what all has to be done to completely remove the HK system. And get back to having a working sound system. Not really interested in fixing or using another amp at the moment, that will be for later down the road possibly. Thanks for any and all info.

Old 08-10-2024, 05:39 AM
cincicobra
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2005 R53 that I picked up last month has an entire system installed. I replaced the outdated single din head unit with a single din car play unit and had my eyes on the wiring. My stereo uses the traditional harness adapter to source power, ignition signal, etc. The sound is put out through the RCA connections to a 60wx5 amp mounted under the passenger seat, that then is wired directly to the new speakers and subwoofer. It sounds fantastic and updated the car to modern day standards. You will loose the steering wheel controls unless you install and program a steering wheel control adapter.