Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

2012 R56 Hatchback Stereo Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2024, 03:49 PM
supersuk
Neutral
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 R56 Hatchback Stereo Install

I purchased my Auto 2012 R56 Hatchback a couple years ago for $1000 not running. The previous owner took the car to our local dealership and was told that he needed a new engine because of a burnt exhaust valve on Cylinder 2. I was able to confirm the burnt exhaust valve after removing the head. I never had any intentions of rebuilding the engine and was able to sell the engine/transmission for $500. This mini was bought to Kswap a K24 into it. I'm nearly complete with the install, but am waiting for my header before buttoning everything up because the headers need to be installed with the engine out. I had previously received my headers about a year ago from STS designs, but they built it wrong and interfered with a couple areas on the subframe and chassis. I sent the header back and they confirmed it was incorrectly built after putting it on their jig. I don't know how that happens, but whatever. The owner said he's building me a new one and i've been waiting about 6 months already. Anyhow, while waiting for the header, I figured I could start installing the audio portion of my build.

When I purchased it

Removed the engine/transmission

Test fit the K24 engine/transmission

Here are the components that I'm using:

Kenwood DPX-594BT
Hybrid Audio U1 Tweeters
Hybrid Audio U3 Midrange
Hybrid Audio Unity 6.5" Midbass
OEM JBL 6x9 rear speakers for the subs
JBL DSP 4086 DSP/Amp

Hybrid Audio U3 speaker with Laser Cut Bracket. If anyone needs a bracket for their midrange speaker, I can make some for you.

Hybrid Audio U3 and 6.5" speaker installed in door

JBL DSP 4086 amplifier installed in the factory HK amp location. OEM connector cut off and used my own connectors to button everything up. I used the OEM power/ground wires and only needed to run the RCA wires from the headunit and a new set of wires to the A-pillars for the tweeters. Used all of the factory wiring for all of the speakers.

Total cost for everything was less than $1000 and it sounds a million times better than the OEM HK system. The frequency response of the system is phenomenal with a nice focused soundstage right in the center of the dash. I needed very minimal EQ to achieve the results below:

Left side speakers

Right side speakers

Summed left and right speakers

Old 08-27-2024, 05:12 PM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have HK stereo audio?
Curious how this DSP would work with the OE speakers?
I think this is the 2nd time ive seen this JBL referenced as an HK alternative.
How hard would you guess this install would be for an AV amateur?

Old 08-27-2024, 05:29 PM
supersuk
Neutral
Yes, I had the HK system. The OE speakers in the HK system isn't bad at all and should work well with the JBL DSP/Amp. I've done many installs with the JBL DSP 4086 and recommend it as a budget DSP/Amp combo all the time. It is a very capable device as long as you know how to properly tune a dsp and you have the right hardware to tune it. If you're an amateur, you should be able to install this system without any issue. The problem will be properly tuning it. If you don't have the knowledge and tools, you should have a professional tune it. If you use the exact same speakers and headunit as me, I can send you my tune to upload.

Old 08-27-2024, 11:48 PM
verydemure
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that jbl dsp/amp combo seems like a great deal for the price.

Old 08-28-2024, 05:00 AM
JAMADOR
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks SS
Plan for now it to keep the OE HKs, just don't want to drop $1k on a new HK amp.
Lower priority to the top & intermittent FRM issues

Given that it's a cabrio, it's pretty noisy already. Not sure how the DSP is right out of the box, or if tuning is required to get it working.

Old 08-28-2024, 11:22 AM
supersuk
Neutral
Its a really good value and a lot of times you can find it on sale for a low as $299. I bought several when the price went down to $249 a couple years back and have been installing them into my beater cars and friends cars. Never had an issue.

The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (08-28-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 05:57 AM
gauss66
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Way cool and great post ! Got me thinking of doing an active speaker set up on my HK R57. A quick question - you mention that you used the OEM power/ground wires - what is the gauge of the power wire. I believe 8 gauge is recommended from the JBL - and a few guys had issues of over heating when using to small of a gauge. What area of the country are you in SS ? NC area by any chance That is where my Mini's are he he

Jamador - for DSP ( although I have no experience with his brand ) will be night and day on the amp after tuning! I personally would not be happy untuned - but again, that is comparing before and after. I did not have an after - I might be happy LOL

The following users liked this post:
JAMADOR (08-29-2024)
Old 08-29-2024, 12:44 PM
supersuk
Neutral
The OEM power and ground wires are 10ga (I think). Normally I would use 8ga for this amp, but since this was there, I used it. I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary when using this and i've been playing the stereo using pink noise to tune it for hours at a time. The amp normally gets pretty hot and this I assume is normal operation because all of the JBL DSP4086 amps that I installed get hot like this. I'm in Hawaii so pretty much on the other side of the country from you.

Old 08-30-2024, 04:57 AM
gauss66
4th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Great that OEM power and ground wires seem to support. Plus saving some pain on the wiring - is this fused already ? Fusebox ? I had a hertz amp that ran hot - and warped the covering I made for it. I assume there is enough breathing/air in the OEM place ?

Very cool on Hawaii ! I actually reside in Southwest FL - so we are about as far apart you can get and still be in the US. If you ever want to observe Atlantic waters - drop on by.

Cheers -