Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM in a Cooper Convertible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 06:12 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM in a Cooper Convertible?

Has anybody successfully installed XM in their convertible using the XM Direct/Blitzsafe method?

Does the convertible have the same compartment in the boot that has the CD changer connections in it? Is the install the same as in the hatch?

Also, I haven't come up with a good spot to mount the antenna on the convertible, so if anybody has any suggestions, feel free to share.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-11-2005, 07:11 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KRGMini05
Also, I haven't come up with a good spot to mount the antenna on the convertible, so if anybody has any suggestions, feel free to share.

Thanks in advance
Don't know about your other questions, but as for mounting the antenna, just put it on the dash. I've had my Sirius antenna there for a year and a half and it works fine. I have a Subaru with the antenna on the roof, and I've found that the reception is pretty much the same in the two cars, the signal drops in the same places no matter where the antenna is...

Old 02-11-2005, 07:58 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbabischkin
Don't know about your other questions, but as for mounting the antenna, just put it on the dash. I've had my Sirius antenna there for a year and a half and it works fine. I have a Subaru with the antenna on the roof, and I've found that the reception is pretty much the same in the two cars, the signal drops in the same places no matter where the antenna is...
yeah...that's the spot I was thinking of, hopefully it doesn't look like crap.

Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
yeah...that's the spot I was thinking of, hopefully it doesn't look like crap.
If it's one of the antennas from the last 18 months, you'll barely notice it outside the car.

Old 02-12-2005, 07:16 AM
indimini
4th Gear
I've done XM Direct/Blitzsafe on my MCSC. The cables for the connection to the Blitzsafe are hidden a bit ore than on a non-convertible. Basically, they are behind the trunk (boot) liner on the passenger side just behind the rear seat. You need to be able to move the liner back to get to the cables. When I first started the install, I took off some of the rear plastic trim to make removal of the liner easier. You can probably get by with just removing the screw on the liner and flexing the material - it bends pretty easily.

I was able to hide the Blitzsafe inside the liner once it was attached and I ran the lines to the XM Direct tunerout the top of the liner. The XM Direct sits in the space above the rear wheel well. If you put it there, you may want to use velcro to fasten it.

I have the antenna mounted over the right rear light assembly. I've had no issues with reception loss from there and it is easy to pop back into the trunk if you are leaving the car parked for a long time at a public lot. I'd also suggest felt or some other soft backing if you put the antenna there so it won'ts scratch your paint.

When the weather gets warmer, I want to see about routing the antenna to the front of the car, placing it next to the factory antenna.

Let me know if you have questions. I can try and take some pics of my install if that would help.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:15 PM
DustinDallas
6th Gear
Originally Posted by indimini
I've done XM Direct/Blitzsafe on my MCSC. The cables for the connection to the Blitzsafe are hidden a bit ore than on a non-convertible. Basically, they are behind the trunk (boot) liner on the passenger side just behind the rear seat. You need to be able to move the liner back to get to the cables. When I first started the install, I took off some of the rear plastic trim to make removal of the liner easier. You can probably get by with just removing the screw on the liner and flexing the material - it bends pretty easily.

I was able to hide the Blitzsafe inside the liner once it was attached and I ran the lines to the XM Direct tunerout the top of the liner. The XM Direct sits in the space above the rear wheel well. If you put it there, you may want to use velcro to fasten it.

I have the antenna mounted over the right rear light assembly. I've had no issues with reception loss from there and it is easy to pop back into the trunk if you are leaving the car parked for a long time at a public lot. I'd also suggest felt or some other soft backing if you put the antenna there so it won'ts scratch your paint.

When the weather gets warmer, I want to see about routing the antenna to the front of the car, placing it next to the factory antenna.

Let me know if you have questions. I can try and take some pics of my install if that would help.
Thank you...I have an idea of what you mean. If you're bored one day and have the time to take a couple pictures of the install, that would be great. I'm not ordering the car until next month, so by the time I'm ready to install the XM, it'll be close to summer. There's no rush at all.

Old 02-13-2005, 05:59 PM
mcsc
2nd Gear
What about the XM my-fi, the personal xm player that broadcasts to any fm stereo with no direct connections. Anyone have any experience with this?

Old 02-13-2005, 07:07 PM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mcsc
What about the XM my-fi, the personal xm player that broadcasts to any fm stereo with no direct connections. Anyone have any experience with this?
It'll work the same as any other satellite radio system or MP3 player that has an FM transmitter. In other words it my not work will in some areas if there are no free FM frequencies for it to use to send its signal to your radio. Plus as with any FM transmitter, your sound quality is limited by the constraints of the FM radio band. XM and Sirius both offer near CD quality sound, FM doesn't come close...

Old 02-10-2006, 11:43 PM
galaxygrrl
1st Gear
Here some of indimi pictures of the install. These helped thanks
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...00&ppuser=1892

Old 02-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Rev. Limiter
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anybody successfully installed XM in their convertible using the XM Direct/Blitzsafe method?

Does the convertible have the same compartment in the boot that has the CD changer connections in it? Is the install the same as in the hatch?

Thanks in advance
Yes, there are a number of the members on this board that have installed an XM in their convertibles. Mine has been in there for 'bout a year, and before that, in our '02 tin top.