Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio OEM Nav and A/M Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005 | 12:57 PM
samawil
|
5th Gear
OEM Nav and A/M Head Unit

Hello all,

I have an 03 MCS with the Nav and want to replace the head unit with an After Market Head Unit (something like an eclipse or Alpine etc)
The unit I have in mind has the folding touch screen including Nav and DVD player.
I'm facing 1 main issue: will the oem nav work without the oem head unit?

The Installer I am speaking with is not sure if that is the case or not so he's not comfortanle starting on anything and thus we are both looking into it.

Is there anyone here that got their mini with the Nav and has since changed the head unit but kept the Nav? Or even someone that got the mini with the nav, but changed the HU and also changed what the oem screen does?

Thanks for any info...

Louay

Old 03-13-2005 | 11:13 AM
mikeythemini
Former Vendor
I am assuming you dont have HKIf you change the stereo you lose the nav voice as it plays through the stereo
To keep the voice you can attach a small speaker or fit a nav interface

Old 03-13-2005 | 01:43 PM
samawil
|
5th Gear
Thanks for the info,

I went with an Alpine HU and the guy said the same thing, so he's gonna set it up some device so that the voice comes through the speakers without feedback or interfearence.

Chears,

L

Old 05-15-2005 | 02:58 PM
dmeyer
3rd Gear
Wondering if you ever got this to work and how. I am thinking of doing the same thing, but don't really want to bother with an external speaker.

Old 05-17-2005 | 12:29 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Perhaps it's possible to wire the voice output from the Nav to the same audio speakers in the factory location, but that might require some amplification of the signal from the Nav by using a small external amp.

Old 05-17-2005 | 12:49 AM
samawil
|
5th Gear
it didn't work, so I have no nav audio, but I'm ok with that...

Now that I've been using it for 2 years, I know what to look for so no need for her to tell me anything.,..I have a wife that can do that

L

Old 05-17-2005 | 12:54 AM
dcsmd007
Coordinator :: PDX MINI
Originally Posted by samawil
it didn't work, so I have no nav audio, but I'm ok with that...

Now that I've been using it for 2 years, I know what to look for so no need for her to tell me anything.,..I have a wife that can do that

L
There must be a voice lead coming from the Nav. But without wiring diagram, it might be time consuming to find. However, once the wire is located, the signal can be amplified and tapped into the existing speakers for sound output.

Old 05-17-2005 | 10:55 AM
WolfGTI
2nd Gear
Do you still have your OEM head unit - is it Sirius compatible ?

Old 07-15-2005 | 03:57 PM
advnavles
1st Gear
I thought this info might be helpful to you and other forum members to research our companies site and navigation solution for Mini enthusiasts; www.advancednavigation.com/mini We are a sponsor of NAM and we feature the only screen-less gps navigation system which talks to you with a human voice that gives your step by step instructions; street name, freeway signs exactly as you would read them, prepare to turn, and more, as you drive. It will do everything a 2k full featured nav will do and more, for under 1k! Even in it's permanent install configuration, it has portability, is hidden, and does not disturb the ambiance of the Mini cockpit. Try programming any nav system traveling at 70mph on the freeway, then see our downloadable video demo that does exactly that...seeing is believing! Thank you forum members.

Originally Posted by samawil
Hello all,

I have an 03 MCS with the Nav and want to replace the head unit with an After Market Head Unit (something like an eclipse or Alpine etc)
The unit I have in mind has the folding touch screen including Nav and DVD player.
I'm facing 1 main issue: will the oem nav work without the oem head unit?

The Installer I am speaking with is not sure if that is the case or not so he's not comfortanle starting on anything and thus we are both looking into it.

Is there anyone here that got their mini with the Nav and has since changed the head unit but kept the Nav? Or even someone that got the mini with the nav, but changed the HU and also changed what the oem screen does?

Thanks for any info...

Louay