Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Take 1 MINI, add sub and shake well...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 04:10 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take 1 MINI, add sub and shake well...

Looking back on ordering my MC, I'm glad I choose the Xenons over the HK system, but now I'm realizing that the stock stereo needs a bit of help.

I'm not looking to "Ghetto blast" or anything but just add a little low end punch. Pehaps a single 10" or 8" to fill the range, then be able to turn the bass levels down on the mids.

My question is- do I have to run an amp and sub off the head unit, under the carpet into the trunk, or is there some system out there that can hook into the back speakers, or the cd changer port, or.... what?

What options can I go with (on a reasonable budget?)

Thanks-
Steve

Old 03-31-2005, 04:45 PM
RR|Suki
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you need to plug into the head unit cuz it controls the amp power and signal... I suppose you could splice into the rear speakers for your signal but you'll need to run wires for power to the front anyway so why not run the remote line and stuff at the same time?

Old 03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
DDMini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You will need to add an amp to power your sub. Since you have a MC, you will need to run power for the amp from the front battery. The amp needs the signal from your headunit, you can put a line level converter either behind the factory headunit, or from the rear 6 x 9 speakers.

You have to take out the seats, to get the side panels off, to get to the rear speakers. You have to do this anyway to run the power wire to the back. You won't save much time by pulling signal from the rear speakers over taking out the headunit.

Buy an amp that has both a highpass filter to cut out low freq you don't need, and a low pass filter to cut out the high freq you don't need. You can buy a mono amp, or a stereo amp that bridges to mono.

A single 8" woofer in a proper vented box will shake the mini.

I've done the same system in a MCS, a bit easier since the battery is in the back. The factory headunit is an Alpine and you'll still be able to use the steering wheel controls. I use several different sub boxes, a single 8, single 10 and a dual 10. A single 8 is capable of so loud that communication with a passanger is impossible, if you want to crank it up. Try to buy around 200-300 watts of real power if you can.

We make all this stuff too, www.ddaudio.com

It sounds more daunting than it is. It takes longer to get stuff out of the car than to wire the system. Its worth it though, minis sound real good.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:14 PM
sandtoast500
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great website!

I'll get in touch with you after I pay off my taxes in a few weeks-

I like the custom subs- sweet stuff. Are your prices comparable to some of the other brands on the market? Would you pair up a 8" with an amp for me since you know the MINI's specs? sounds like you know what I need.

Thanks-
Steve