Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Nav quit working

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 11:12 AM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav quit working

Looking for info, if anyone has some - my wife called to say the DVD nav in our '04 S quit working. Her term was 'fried' but I don't think it's that bad. She said she was getting a DVD read error - I told her to pop out the disc and reload it, but I haven't heard back to see if that worked. I also flashed the British voice hack; don't think this would have caused any trouble (been working fine for over a month) but I'm open to suggestions.

Anyone had disc read problems with their nav units, and if so, did reloading the DVD clear it up?

Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:02 PM
TheOfficeMaven
6th Gear
I'd try popping out the disc and wiping it down real good in order to remove any finger prints, dust, etc. Also, if you're using a burned copy of a disc in your system, it could just be a bad burn and you might need to try another copy.

Other than that... It's under warranty and the dealer should be able to fix it for you at no charge.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Yep - I suggested popping the disc and looking for dust, hair, fingerprints, etc. Haven't heard yet if that fixed it. We're using the factory DVD (not sure what version installed) but I flashed it with a burned CD. . .but that went well - if I had to take it to the dealer, I'd need to pull out the original image CD and revert it to the previous version, I guess - although I don't think that's the issue. . .

Thanks for the suggestions. . .I'll look at it tonight.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:38 PM
buz
3rd Gear
There are several possibilities ranging from no power to specific screen messages. Can't count the number of "You are no longer on a digitized road." A few times I have had "Correct satellite guidance not available." At least three times I have lost all satellite tracking and find myself somewhere about two miles offshore with no surf board or paddle; the GPS Status shows no contact with any satellites, loss of position, loss of direction, loss of speed, and loss of GMT time. The weather has typically been very overcast with very high, very dense clouds.
Hopefully your nav has only encountered an environmenal block, or maybe even a jammer of some sort, and not a reader failure.

Old 04-14-2005, 12:56 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
Nope - this one was some sort of disc read error. She shut down the nav screen display after an ignition off/on system reboot failed to clear it. I've also had the off road warnings and whatnot; this one looks like the DVD wasn't being read right. I'll look at it tonight when she gets home and post my findings as soon as I can. . .

BP

PS - I once had a similar glitch on my '03 Honda Pilot nav; a power off/on reset it just fine. Hope it's not much more on the poor MINI.

Old 04-14-2005, 05:32 PM
BearsMCS
2nd Gear
We have suffered with the same symptoms on ocasion. It clears itself (knock on Formica) after an ignition recycle and the reinstallation of the DVD. We are using a backup copy with the original in the glove box.

Good Luck.

Bear

Old 04-14-2005, 07:20 PM
UUNetBill
5th Gear
I'm happy to report that the nav functioned flawlessly on the way home tonight. I guess Lucas's ghost is just trying to keep us lost so we can motor more. . .

Thanks to everyone who replied.