Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio SIRIUS On Mini Convertable

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 09:06 PM
templar345
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SIRIUS On Mini Convertable

So my sales person sold me Sirius Radio in a convertible Mini which from what I understand is not possible because there is no current antenna that would work with the Mini Cooper Convertible. After complaining a bit, they decided to install the Sirius and put the Antenna in the boot. Works great with Top up. I guess the signal can go through cloth but not metal. Only problem is does not work great with Top down, guessing it is because the metal of the frame surrounds the antenna when the top is down which will block the signal. I have two questions...

Does anyone know if there is a plan to introduce a Sirius antenna that would work with the Mini convertible?

Also has anyone else done something similar to what I did? If yes, where did you place your Sirius antenna?

Old 06-18-2005, 11:45 AM
HowardPM
4th Gear
well

even though I'm an XM fan it amazes me how almost a year of the 05 convertibles in the US and they still haven't figured out how to get the Sirrus Radio working in the convertibles. The last Mini Meet I went to the service manager handed out forms with dates for stuff and Sirrus on the Mini Convertible it just said TBD.

Old 06-19-2005, 10:35 AM
telich
1st Gear
Where did you put it in the boot? I am looking to buy a Sirius (Fell in Love with my last car) for my Convertible but can't figure out where to put the antenna. Also, did you get a new head unit or a separate unit?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:47 AM
templar345
Neutral
Well, I 'm not exactly sure where they put in the trunk. I think its on the right behind the trunk lining...again works 95% with top up but really not at all with top down. When you mean head unit, I'm assuming you mean the face of the unit for controls etc...I have the harmon Kardon stereo and the Sirrus info comes right thru the radio that was in the car when I picked it up. You select it by hitting the mode button. I just order another antenna for $30 online and am going to unplug the antenna they installed and plug that one in and then play with location to see what works best.

Old 06-19-2005, 12:44 PM
Krut
6th Gear
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
XM Direct

Easier and cleaner to install on a convertible. Install the XM direct module in the back boot - connect the connectors to the blitzsafe adapter - mount the XM antenna on your dash and you're set to go.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:50 AM
telich
1st Gear
I am very interested in the head unit working with Sirius right off the bat. Do you know if you have the Blitzsafe adapter in there or did you get a different head unit then normal. I have the harmon Kardon stereo as well. I would love it if I didnt have to buy another head unit.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Krut
6th Gear
XM and Sirius

All MINI North America head units use a standard satellite protocol to exchange data - in the MINI's case - the input for satellite receivers is the aux port located in the wiring normally used for the cd-changer. A blitzsafe adapter will work with XM direct and is usually sold as a bundle for BMW/MINI (try myradiostore.com).

There's a lot less aftermarket dedicated to Sirius - that should tell you which technology (in my opinion) is better. I don't have a lot of information regarding the Sirius unit - my guess is that you could purchase a unit and install it - but unless you have the antenna for Sirius that works with that given satellite unit - you're going to have to wait for BMW/MINI usa to sort out the vagaries of the MINI antenna.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2005, 11:39 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kcollins
Easier and cleaner to install on a convertible. Install the XM direct module in the back boot - connect the connectors to the blitzsafe adapter - mount the XM antenna on your dash and you're set to go.
Should should be able to do something similar with Sirius. The OEM Sirius plugs into the CD changer, then you'd just need a different antenna and you'd be ready to go.

Old 06-22-2005, 06:02 AM
CC
3rd Gear
Just wondering...

How about using some sticky-backed velcro to attach the antenna to that cross member of the roll bar (between the seats)? It could possibly save some wire routing pains to keep it in the rear with the direct box and adapter...???

Old 06-22-2005, 06:19 AM
Krut
6th Gear
that's still inside the car and not great for receiving sats.. just mount it next to the radio antenna in the front - or even easier inside on dash - i've seen a lot of bmw's with the antenna mounted inside on the dash

Old 06-22-2005, 09:14 AM
templar345
Neutral
Inside the car works pretty good..I was going to do just that and attach to the roll bar via velcro.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:06 AM
CC
3rd Gear
I would think it would work inside...

on the roll bar just as well as up on the dash. A friend has his stuck inside on the deck behind the seats of his non-C (he has the moon roof though). It works as well as my roof mounted antenna. I tried mine on the rear deck, but it didn't work because I don't have the moon roof...only steel. I would be real surprised if that canvas would refract or reflect RF. Lower down in the vehicle, you may have some satellite blockage from the side metal, but up at the top of the seats should be fine. Ideally you would like to have a nice conductive ground plane underneath, but it should work just fine without.

Old 06-22-2005, 11:57 AM
KevinR
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
The New Beetle convertible, which is able to be factory (dealer) equipped with either Sirius or XM, has its satellite antenna mounted in the center of the dashboard. I'm certain this arrangement would work for the MINI convertible as well.

If you want to use the MINI Sirius tuner, you would simply need to purchase an aftermarket Sirius antenna and possibly one of the adapters to convert from 2 inputs to one. (I think the MINI tuner uses two antenna inputs. Most aftermarket tuners use only one.)

The XM Direct system would provide everything you need as well. I prefer Sirius myself, but everyone should decide for themselves which service most meets their musical (and other) programming needs.

Edited to fix typo.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:50 PM
templar345
Neutral
Well here is what I did. I bought the new mini-sirius antenna and the two to one plug adapter. I put it on the roll bar in the middle (used some velcro) and works great. With the roof open works fantastic. With the roof closed works great until I get under a bunch of trees then it seems to be more sensitive, but I can live with that. The true test will be if it will stay on at higher speeds with the roof open..I was trying to use a minimium amount of velcro might have to redo and add a bit more..but so far so good! thanks for everyones suggestions.

Old 06-22-2005, 02:02 PM
CC
3rd Gear
Mine's on the roof, out in the open, and I still get drop outs under heavy tree cover. Does your's not drop out with the top down? Wonder if I have a problem?

Old 06-22-2005, 02:05 PM
templar345
Neutral
It drops with top open and closed..but much more with top closed.