Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Dension Icelink Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 11:42 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fishbulb
Still no luck on getting back into the Dension menu with the #6 button and my 15G 3rd gen. I need to try my wife's 40G photo.
Any luck fishbulb?

I'm having the same problem. It worked the first time I put my 20GB 4th gen iPod in the cradle, but not anymore. The first time it worked, I went in and enabled text. Now I cannot get back into the Dension menu.

I have a 5/05 build, and the Dension start up screen says V22.B2 . Not really sure what this firmware is. The Dension web site here:
http://www.densionusa.com/support_fi...s_fw_guide.htm
only lists 2.B1 and 2.B2 for their BMW specific firmware. Unfortunately these files are no longer on the Dension website; the links are broken.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:32 AM
MINIMAXXNC
3rd Gear
To get the latest firmware upgrade, Dension needs to email it to you.

You can call 866.822.3673 and ask for Jessie. She was very helpfull, and emailed me everything I needed.

Old 09-21-2005, 06:42 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
I don't know if it's the same situation, but when I loaded 2.B2 and activated text on my NAV and pressed 6, the Denison menu didn't show on my iPod, it showed on my NAV. The only trouble was that it only showed the current line that would be selected on the iPod menu. I had to navigate using the track buttons (just as if I was looking at the iPod menu) and the options would change until I found the "setup" option, then held the track button to go to the next level, and the turned off text. Then I was back to the Dension menu on the ipod.

When I selected HU for text display (instead of NAV) the NAV and the HU displayed, so I can't remember how the menu items displayed on the HU. It may be slow to update, but try pressing "6" and pay attention to what the HU is doing.

Steve

Old 09-21-2005, 08:42 AM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
So the Dension DOES work with the NAV

Old 09-21-2005, 09:02 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Itsdchz
So the Dension DOES work with the NAV
Dension works with the NAV as long as you don't want to use the NAV anymore. It completely takes over the NAV display. :thumbsDOWN:

Old 09-22-2005, 04:04 PM
matma92ser
4th Gear
Thanks MINIMAXXMC. I talked to Jessie, then Marcus, and they were able to help me get it going. Apparently, V22.B2 is the same thing as firmware 2.B2, so I already had the latest firmware.

For some reason, the first time I tried to enable text, it didn't take, so the Dension menu disappeared from both HU and iPod display. I was able to blindly go back into the setup menu (trickier than expected, because some menu items aren't even available, contrary to what the manual shows) and turn off text, which brought back the Dension menu to the iPod screen. Then I enabled text again, and this time it worked!

Song titles and artist names appear on my head unit now. This information, plus album title, and number of songs in your playlist, is also shown on the iPod at the same time. However, when I navigate through various menus (playlist, setup, etc), none of the menu headings appear on the iPod. I believe this is normal.

Old 09-22-2005, 10:23 PM
Itsdchz
5th Gear
OH NOT GOOD
Originally Posted by supergimp
Dension works with the NAV as long as you don't want to use the NAV anymore. It completely takes over the NAV display. :thumbsDOWN:

Old 09-23-2005, 09:08 PM
LagunaSol
4th Gear
I went with the dock connector version ordered directly from Dension. I didn't want a cradle - with my iPod hanging out in plain sight and needing to be hidden every time I left the car (a cabrio). The radio was a PITA for me to remove - the biggest obstacle for me was figuring out how to pop the seat heater buttons without destroying them. Oh, and make sure you tape (with painters tape) not only the downtubes, but the bottom edge of your dash panels too. I taped my downtubes but not the dash, and scratched up my beautiful Chili Red dash panel with the sharp top edge of the downtube when trying to get the downtube back in place. The scratch is on the bottom edge and not visible from the driver or passenger seat, but I know it's there and it drives me crazy. Nothing like buggering up your brand new car, eh? OK, I'm neurotic.

I followed the radio removal instructions I found on MINI2. Ran the cable up and through the little plug panel in the glovebox. Cut a little groove in the side of the plastic plug for the cable to fit through, then put the plug back in. The glovebox organizer gives you a perfect little cubby for the iPod. So I plug the iPod in, lock the glovebox, and control everything from the head unit (I've been lucky to get tag text on the HU from the get-go).

I much prefer my stealth install over having a cradle mounted to the downtube. Nevertheless, I will cry if I ever have to remove the IceLink (if it dies), as I dread the thought of pulling the radio again.

Wish MINI's radio was like the VW models - stick a couple of keys (or hanging file folder metal bars, I've been told, but my brother has the keys) into the slots in the radio face and it pops right out. No need to tear the entire center console apart. Bad MINI, bad.

Old 09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
supergimp
4th Gear
Hmm...I just popped off the center dash pice (a screw or two and a firm tug) and the downtpbes came right out. I've had my dash apart 3-4 times with little problem (AUX install, iceLink Install, autoUp install, hardwire radar detector, etc...). I can get the radio out in about 2 minutes at this point. Sounds like you have body colored dash. Maybe that's more fragile than anthracite, but I've found it pretty quick and easy.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:52 PM
Hollister
Coordinator :: South East - Florida
Originally Posted by fishbulb
I also need to do the ground mod...getting some whine...

(FWIW, no ID3 tags on the the 05 HK ....yet!

-jac
When you say you're getting some whine, do you mean a feedback-like-irritating-as-all-get-out sound? I've had my iceLink for over a year, and we've tried everything to fix it. I called Dension and they sent me a diagram to fix it (they said.) When I got the connections out, they looked NOTHING like the pics, so I called them back. They said I'd need to return the hardware to them. Ugh! After ripping out the interior to hide the wiring and all...I was furious! So needless to say, I've been dealing with the feedback, but if this is a fix...woohoo!

Thanks!

Old 09-27-2005, 07:01 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollister
When you say you're getting some whine, do you mean a feedback-like-irritating-as-all-get-out sound? I've had my iceLink for over a year, and we've tried everything to fix it. I called Dension and they sent me a diagram to fix it (they said.) When I got the connections out, they looked NOTHING like the pics, so I called them back. They said I'd need to return the hardware to them. Ugh! After ripping out the interior to hide the wiring and all...I was furious! So needless to say, I've been dealing with the feedback, but if this is a fix...woohoo!

Thanks!
yep...that is EXACTLY what i am talking about. Kind of like when you put a big bad ignition coil on a muscle car & could hear the engine rev through the AM radio.... ..or something like that....

and yes, the ground mod fixes it 100%. Like i quoted Matthew Z, just move that one wire over one spot & it's all fixed....

-jac

Old 01-07-2006, 08:08 AM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, I just bought another IceLink plus for my new 06 & intalled it. This one has the ground wires on both side, no need to move anything, no ground whine so far.

I still need to hide the wire & set up the ID3 tags, but at least i can use my iPod!!!

-jac