Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio How long did it take to activate your XM?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 09:57 AM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long did it take to activate your XM?

I installed my XM Direct kit in my 05 convertible this weekend and signed the radio up yesterday. However, after two hours of driving today the only channels I can get are the Preview, the radio ID and the emergency alert channels so it looks like my unit hasn't been activated. Should it just burst into mutliple channels at some point or is there something I need to do on the HU to force it to go look? I left the instruction book at home and won't see it for a week - and local radio here is all marriachi and country music

Cheers

Paul

Old 10-17-2005, 10:05 AM
sagworks
running with scissors
should take about 15-30 min.

Well that depends on your signal strength. A bunch of new channels should have popped up. I just activated another XM last week and it took 15 minutes. After 2 hours it should have work by now. Now I do not know if things are different with XM direct vs. Roady.

I would either call listner care and have them open the activation again, or log into listner care through the XM website. I know there is a link to refresh your radio. Refreshing is what you are going to want to do. Before you do that I would double check the radio ID, to make sure it was entered correctly.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2005, 10:56 AM
gadgeTT
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be rather quick, but you might want to try entering your radio ID into the following web page.

http://www.xmradio.com/refresh/

I had the same problem and my activated radio was up and running within 2 minutes from using the above site.

Of course, YMMV, etc...

Old 10-17-2005, 12:41 PM
fsuscotsman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ukpylot
I installed my XM Direct kit in my 05 convertible this weekend and signed the radio up yesterday. However, after two hours of driving today the only channels I can get are the Preview, the radio ID and the emergency alert channels so it looks like my unit hasn't been activated. Should it just burst into mutliple channels at some point or is there something I need to do on the HU to force it to go look? I left the instruction book at home and won't see it for a week - and local radio here is all marriachi and country music

Cheers

Paul
I know that this won't do you any good as it will have worked or not by now....I had to turn my Roady off to get it to activate. Once I did it took seconds to recognize all the channels.

Can't wait to get a Direct for my MCSc

Old 10-17-2005, 12:53 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
However, after two hours of driving today the only channels I can get are the Preview, the radio ID and the emergency alert channels so it looks like my unit hasn't been activated.
Been there, done that.

After having the unit installed, you go to the website and hit activate. Then you go back to the car, make sure its tuned to channel one and wait a few minutes. But heres the thing. ...

I waited an hour and figured thats WAY too long to wait and called customer service. The thing is, you need to have the car actually running with the radio on channel 1 AS YOU ACTIVATE (which silly me didnt even think of). So they had already sent out the activate signal in the minute or two between using the net and going back to the car.

I ended up sitting IN the car with radio on and calling customer service and talking to her while she sent the signal ... and it worked. Of course, she also tried to sell me on buying longer service (goes with the territory).

Try that

Old 10-17-2005, 12:54 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
Hmm... I think I've worked out my problem - you need to turn the radio on immeadiately after having it activated; I activated mine Saturday morning but didn't turn the radio on until this morning. I just thought that the radio would query the satellite for authorisation but it is obviously the otherway around. I'll call from my car this evening and have them do it on the way home from work.

Paul

Old 10-17-2005, 01:12 PM
LeeL
5th Gear
Yes, the radio must be on at the time the activation signal is sent or it will not work. They do not send the signal to activate for a few days or anything, it is minutes.I also waited an hour and then ended up calling from teh car and bam.

Old 10-17-2005, 01:25 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hmm... I think I've worked out my problem - you need to turn the radio on immeadiately after having it activated
I thought I just said that. I'm glad you figured it out though!

Old 10-17-2005, 01:48 PM
ukpylot
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us
I thought I just said that. I'm glad you figured it out though!
Yes, check the posting times - a minute apart. I saw your response straight after I submitted mine. Thanks for taking the time to straighten me out.

Paul