Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio XM Terk in 05 Antenna Base

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Confirmed - XM Antenna Fits in A Cabrio OEM antenna base

Originally Posted by coolcab
Enlightening thread. Thanks!

Will this work on the Cabrio antenna? It's slightly different.
Coolcab,

I've confirmed today that the XM antenna that comes with the XM Direct kit can indeed be fit into the stock OEM antenna base on an 06 Cabrio. I had to trim just a bit of the internal plastic ribs of the base cover, but other than that, no problem. Also, I was able to pass the XM antenna wire through the OEM base by simply removing the pink plastic end of the antenna cable.

Looks great and works great. I'll post some photos later when I get a chance.

Old 03-23-2006, 06:27 PM
sherthang
Neutral
Is there space with nav?

Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Coolcab,

I've confirmed today that the XM antenna that comes with the XM Direct kit can indeed be fit into the stock OEM antenna base on an 06 Cabrio. I had to trim just a bit of the internal plastic ribs of the base cover, but other than that, no problem. Also, I was able to pass the XM antenna wire through the OEM base by simply removing the pink plastic end of the antenna cable.

Haven't received my car yet but am trying to get the xm stuff ordered and ready to install in a 06 MCSC with nav-do you know if there is/would be room in the OEM base with the GPS?

Also, where are you running the antenna wire to get from the base to the rear of the car?
TIA

Old 03-24-2006, 12:49 PM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by sherthang
Haven't received my car yet but am trying to get the xm stuff ordered and ready to install in a 06 MCSC with nav-do you know if there is/would be room in the OEM base with the GPS?

Also, where are you running the antenna wire to get from the base to the rear of the car?
TIA
I've posted a how to here. I don't have the NAV unit so I couldn't tell you if the XM antenna would fit or not. It's actually pretty easy to pull the antenna down and take a look. Remove the light assembly, remove the retaining nut, remove four screws. On my antenna base, there was a flat spot in the rear that the XM antenna sat in perfectly (see the photos in the guide). PM me if you have any questions. If you do look, please take a photo and post.

I ran the antenna wire along the top of the windshield plastic trim and down the A pillar, behind the dash ten along the door sill to the boot. The windshield trim and A pillar will come loose (not removed) with slight tugging after removing the passenger sun visor and sun visor clip. I was able to work the antenna wire from the opening where the light Assembly goes out into the car between the trim and rubber seal. Then just work it back in along the trim and seal until you get to the A pillar. Once I got to the A Pillar, I put a little tension on the antenna wire from both ends and was able to get it to move freely under the plastic trim (ie. It wasn't pinched). Once at the A Pillar, its pretty easy, just route between the A Pillar and the windshield until you come to the dash. Once at the dash, you can route it back toward the window and down. then just keep pushing it under the plastic trim at the carpet. A thin, blunt tool works well. Avoid a screwdriver unless you have filed the end blunt as you don't want to cut the antenna wire. I used a stamped metal tool that I found in my toolbox. A popsicle stick may work as well and shouldn't mar the trim if you slip.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Old 03-30-2006, 12:12 PM
coolcab
1st Gear
Originally Posted by pjschaffer
Coolcab,

Thanks for this and the install instructions. I will be attempting install Saturday.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:54 AM
coolcab
1st Gear
The install worked perfectly! Thanks pjschaffer for the great and deatailed instructions. The only thing I did differently is hot glue the XM antenna to the factory antenna base. I also had a little difficulty in getting the passenger A pillar to go back into place after popping it out accidentally to lift up to slide antenna wire through. It's not fully back in place but its close. Still trying to figure our MFSW controls like others. XM is great!

Old 04-03-2006, 10:59 AM
pjschaffer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by coolcab
The install worked perfectly! Thanks pjschaffer for the great and deatailed instructions. The only thing I did differently is hot glue the XM antenna to the factory antenna base. I also had a little difficulty in getting the passenger A pillar to go back into place after popping it out accidentally to lift up to slide antenna wire through. It's not fully back in place but its close. Still trying to figure our MFSW controls like others. XM is great!
Coolcab,

I'm glad to hear that it worked out well for you. Where did you end up mounting the XM receiver? On top of the boot liner as I did or behind the liner as others have?

Phil

Old 04-03-2006, 11:11 AM
coolcab
1st Gear
I went behind the liner for a full stealth install. The wiring is kind of tight - but no real problems.